Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving a Wordpress/Joomla site from one hosting account to another

Options
  • 11-06-2010 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi, I have developed a Wordpress site on my own hosting package with Blacknight. The site is set up and all with a MySql database which was needed to install Wordpress in the first place. I'm just wondering if it's possible to move the site and all the contents to another hosting account (either with Blacknight or some other hosting company)? Also, I have a Joomla site which I may need to move from my own account to another account in the coming months. Or do I HAVE to develop the CMS site on the hosting account it's ultimately going to be hosted on? I hope this isn't too confusing. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Make a wordpress backup from within the admin area of all posts,pages,comments. Setup wordpress on new hosting, activate whatever theme you were using and import the data from the backup and you are good to go. If you have plugins etc you will have to install those aswell and set them up but its not a difficult job really.

Not sure on Joomla, havent used it in a good while but im sure there is a similar process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Akeeba backup for joomla wil create a complete archive of the site as a zip file including the database as an installer which can be transferred anywhere.

Create a blank database on the target site.. upload the archive, unzip the files, and you'll get an installer appear from the target folder (like the original joomla install).

I regularly use it for porting from test to live servers and its never failed me yet.

Forwarning: if you are using virtuemart you'll need to change 2 lines of code in the virtuemart config file before use (just specifying the new URL)

Also if the backup is huge .. I use extplorer(open source) to retrieve the backup file server to server (site to site FTP) .. just extract to a folder on your target server and use remote FTP to pull the file across, sure beats ftping a huge zip file to your desktop first.

.. i've never had it fail even when FXP does (Trying to get remote files from godaddy)

Have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Lostinspace

Thanks for both of your replys. Sounds like a littlle bit of work but hopefully I'll get the hang of it fairly soon. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The key thing to watch out for is the config files ie. if domain1 is accountA then the settings in the config will refer to its database etc., so you'll need to update it when you move the domain / files / DB to the other account

Advertisement