Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

research PhD proposal Question

Options
  • 11-06-2010 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    had a meeting with a potential supervisor for my idea for a research based PhD.. It went very well and what was meant to be a 10 min chat turned into a 1 hr 20min discussion re: my idea. Since then they have sent me a list of articles and books that 'may be of interest regarding my topic'. But having ordered these books and just read the articles im at a bit of a lose as to what i should be doing next? am i meant to be gearing towards getting a proposal together and submitting it to the relevant university where they are based or should i continue to research.... or should i finalise some form of theoretical framework to approach my idea? Given that the supervisor said they found it very interesting and that they would be available to take on a research student i don't want to be coming back to them a few days after this meeting and seeming as though im a bit clueless as to the next stage of the process....

anyway, if anyone could give me a bit of guidance here at this stage it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Your going to be clueless for the first year or so of your phd anyway, best for both of ye to get along with that fact :)
    Best thing for you to do is write down your thought and email them to your supervisor and see if they are in line with what ye were talking about.
    This can then be extended into a good proposal.

Write minutes from all your meetings :)

Advertisement