Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

South Africa vs Mexico (Grp A - Fri 3pm)(Mod Note #242)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I always forget that the rule is not actually the goalkeeper, but the last man

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Kiith wrote: »
    Hang on, whats the rule about the goalkeeper?

What where who now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Is the RTE player is extremely laggy for anybody else? I'm on a college connection so there's no issue on my end, blisteringly fast as usual. Streaming the HD (no commentary) version from Eurovisionsport.tv and not a hitch, throw on the RTE player and loading/lag/double commentary etc etc.

Anybody else got a link for UTV/ITV or whatever else - no Sopcast, Veetle or any of that stuff if you can. I've trued to watch it on RTE through eurovisionsport.tv but it says to visit the broadcaster website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

There is no rule about the keeper.

You are offside if there aren't 2 opposition players between you and the goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

There has to be two opposition players between you and the goal to be onside. 99.9% of the time, one of them is the goalkeeper.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

When the ball is played, there has to be 2 players between the player and the goal, usually the goalkeeper is included in this so it isn't mentioned

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

chico would of scored a hatrick by now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

A decent team would be 3-4 up by now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

There is no rule about the goalkeeper. The rule is there has to be at least two players between the attacking player and the goal line when the ball is played forward. One of these is usually the keeper but in this case the keeper was behind Vela and there was only one player between him and the goal. Good decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

there has to be two men behind the ball in order for it to be onside. Usually the goalkeeper is one of them.

Its a fairly simple rule but people often don't know it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

There is no rule about the goalkeeper. The rule (to paraphrase it) is that there has to be two members of the defending team between the furthest attacker and the goal at the point when the ball is played (forward) to the attacker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

LOL, shows what an elite footballing forum this is when people don't know the off side rule. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The Mexican keeper looks like Barthez with a tan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

How many players is it again? 5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I just mentioned them once as regards this game as i think its relevant, just once, and that other guy seems fitted to tell me off ffs can even give an opinion

Agreed. It's BS in my opinion. Why in a match thread are you not allowed mention the atmosphere in the stadium? It's not like it was derailing the thread until one poster threw his toys out of the pram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

There is no rule about the goalkeeper. The rule is there has to be at least two players between the attacking player and the goal line when the ball is played forward. One of these is usually the keeper but in this case the keeper was behind Vela and there was only one player between him and the goal. Good decision.
    Kirby wrote: »
    there has to be two men behind the ball in order for it to be onside. Usually the goalkeeper is one of them.

Fizman wrote: »
    There is no rule about the goalkeeper. The rule (to paraphrase it) is that there has to be two members of the defending team between the furthest attacker and the goal at the point when the ball is played (forward) to the attacker.

Snapsnap snapppppsnapp. :)

Almost scary verbatim snap in the first one! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

And a bit fatter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Spud83 wrote: »
    LOL, shows what an elite footballing forum this is when people don't know the off side rule. :)

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Strong end to the half by SA.

Hope they have a real go in the second

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »
    I always forget that the rule is not actually the goalkeeper, but the last man
    Des wrote: »
    There is no rule about the keeper.

You are offside if there aren't 2 opposition players between you and the goal.
    Archimedes wrote: »
    There has to be two opposition players between you and the goal to be onside. 99.9% of the time, one of them is the goalkeeper.
    When the ball is played, there has to be 2 players between the player and the goal, usually the goalkeeper is included in this so it isn't mentioned
    Kirby wrote: »

Fizman wrote: »

Most. Thorough. Answer. Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

So, so close. Would've been totally undeserved.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

SA had the best chance they're going to get all match there

Dodgy as **** too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭blackalicious

dodgy little keeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Dodgy as **** too!

Maybe it actually is Barthez with a tan.

• Advertisement

Both keepers are dodgy enough on crosses.

Mexican keeper only 5'8 :eek:

Could lob him in a penalty shootout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Agreed. It's BS in my opinion. Why in a match thread are you not allowed mention the atmosphere in the stadium? It's not like it was derailing the thread until one poster threw his toys out of the pram.

I know its one lad that seems only interested in arguing with people, when we are giving our opinion, then a mod seems bias, i dont think there should be a problem if you have mentioned something about THIS game just once in a thread about the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Watching the ESPN commentary in work and neither commentators picked up on the offside thing. Experts, eh?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ahh, ok. Didn't realise that. Always assumed it was just the keeper that the rule applied to.

Entertaining first half, despite the lack of goals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

South Africa are fairly crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

They had a good chance at the end though. Crap or not, with a big man upfront they are a danger. I mean my sister is taller than that goalie.

Xavi6 wrote: »

So are the Mexico forwards though, I think SA might nick one.

I hope the Guardian do their chalkboard for the World Cup. Mexico have put at least 7 passes out of play directly for throw ins just by poor passing alone. Shocking really, don't know if its the ball and they're putting too much into their passes, or the atmosphere, or just genuine mistakes. Its really annoying me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I know its one lad that seems only interested in arguing with people, when we are giving our opinion, then a mod seems bias, i dont think there should be a problem if you have mentioned something about THIS game just once in a thread about the game.

Lads, ffs, there is a DEDICATED VUVUZELA THREAD so we don't have to have people moaning about them in every single match thread, as they are going to be present at every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Xavi6 wrote: »

Could easily be ahead though, Mexico just don't look like finding the killer ball which will probably change as they rack up the intensity in the 2nd half...

Archimedes wrote: »
    I hope the Guardian do their chalkboard for the World Cup. Mexico have put at least 7 passes out of play directly for throw ins just by poor passing alone. Shocking really, don't know if its the ball and they're putting too much into their passes, or the atmosphere, or just genuine mistakes. Its really annoying me.

I think it's a mixture of the ball and altitude. The ball seems to be bouncing really high whenever it's put up in the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Frisbee wrote: »
    Lads, ffs, there is a DEDICATED VUVUZELA THREAD so we don't have to have people moaning about them in every single match thread, as they are going to be present at every game.

Better response than the one from Des imo:
    I think mods should ban any cúnt who mentions them again.

The ground is super firm, the bounce is catching a lot of people off

Eamo was reading Boards during the first half I see

• Advertisement

crying_baby.jpg

A little abrasive but there's no need for the ovaries so early in the day :p

I was reluctant to start handing out infractions/bannings so early in the day as it would set a precedent for the rest of the summer. But you all seem so intent on moaning I'll start doing so.

Next metion of the Vuvuzela's is a yellow card.

Next attempt at backseat modding/questioning a Mod decision will be a yellow/red card depending on the nature of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

The ground is super firm, the bounce is catching a lot of people off

I think this is a factor too, looks really dry and hard, so the ball is gonna have a strong bounce on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Des wrote: »
    crying_baby.jpg

It's exactly how I pictured you behind that laptop of yours :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I think mods should ban any cúnt who posts an off topic pic of a baby crying in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I'm surprised by the lack of shots from outside the box in the first half.
    The ball really moves at altitude and it favours the attacker.
    I remember watching Bolivia-Argentina last year at altitude and Bolivia were constantly taking shots from 30-40 yards out and the ball was flying at the goal and most of the shots were on target too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

there was always going to be that noise - and there always was going to be moaning on here about it. Can we at least get the moaning out of the way now so we can enjoy the football on these match threads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

aidan24326 wrote: »
    It's strange that African teams just don't do goalkeepers. They always seem to be flappers.

I think those damned horn things are going to drive me crazy. For the next month it's gonna be like watching that movie 'The Swarm' on constant repeat.

RTÉ dusted off the Lion King soundtrack for the World Cup!:pac:

• Advertisement

It's exactly how I pictured you behind that laptop of yours :O

The sound of them damn vuvuzelas horns woke me up :pac:

Advertisement