Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uruguay vs France (Group A - Friday 7:30pm)

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Jigga wrote: »
    Ribery must be the most overrated player in the world.

PS some neck from the cheating hypocrite to appeal for handball wasn't it?

Why, what happened before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Drumpot wrote: »
    Whatever about what happened in the Ireland v France game, its a shame to think that there are a large amount of french players who look like they couldnt give two poops to be there or not. . Put simply, if the Irish Lads were there, they mightnt have the so called "class" of the french but they would give it their all and be thankful for playing in the biggest game in soccer . . Shows that you dont always get what you deserve . . God I hate overpaid, cocky, ungrateful footballers . .

Adebayer is showing more passion on BBC and thats not saying much . .
    Horrible is'nt it. I keep thinking of Keith Andrews broken hearted at the final whistle in Paris and then you see the likes of Ribery out there tonight who did'nt seem to give a hoot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Jigga wrote: »
    Ribery must be the most overrated player in the world.

PS some neck from the cheating hypocrite to appeal for handball wasn't it?

Couldnt agree more Ribery is so overrrated!!

"The art of coaching is gettin more from the team like we do"
    Did Dunphy just say that? thats not what he said for half the qualifying group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dreadful game, France or Starman at least is so conservative. They won't get out of the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

It's a crap French team,but write off a team in the world cup at your peril

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

bijapos wrote: »
    Whatever about individual opinins of football fans its about time RTE commentators shut the fcuk up about Henry and his handball in Paris. He mentioned it a few times tonight and tbh its getting to be somewhere between aggravating and embarrassing. Bad enough listening to the english going on about being robbed after every football tournament without us going on that bandwagn too.

Bit of a difference between something that was over 20 years ago and something directly responsible for us not being at this tournament.

I'm not in favour of tabloid anti-French feeling either, but at the other end of the spectrum, those who think it shouldn't be spoken of at all are equally wrong imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Whatever about what happened in the Ireland v France game, its a shame to think that there are a large amount of french players who look like they couldnt give two poops to be there or not

That's the pity of it, and it's not the first time either. In the 2002 WC France didn't try at all. They went out in the group stages without even scoring a goal. Benzema is not in the squad because apparently he just can't be arsed playing for France. Strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Aidric wrote: »
    Ya, death to watch.

or death to football!

Bit of a difference between something that was over 20 years ago and something directly responsible for us not being at this tournament.

I'm not in favour of tabloid anti-French feeling either, but at the other end of the spectrum, those who think it shouldn't be spoken of at all are equally wrong imo.

Um, it's got nothing to do with the match we saw tonight. Why the hell would you mention it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Lol at posters giving out about the French getting a bit of stick. Lighten up for gods sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

France and Mexico to qualify from the group!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Why they went to the WC with that Manager is above me. They just do not gel together as a team. Shame really as they have some good players.

Um, it's got nothing to do with the match we saw tonight. Why the hell would you mention it?

We're in Ireland watching the team that put us out through a goal that shouldn't have been and you DON'T think it should be mentioned?

Would be ridiculous to not mention it considering the British stations even mentioned it. I'm sure most national braodcasters mentioned it, including the French ones.

We're in Ireland watching the team that put us out through a goal that shouldn't have been and you DON'T think it should be mentioned?

Would be ridiculous to not mention it considering the British stations even mentioned it. I'm sure most national braodcasters mentioned it, including the French ones.

They mentioned it AFTER the game, yes, AFTER the game. What in gods name does that have to do with the match we saw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Why they went to the WC with that Manager is above me.

It's baffling. They surely got to the final in 2006 in spite of him rather than because of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

In fairness if it was the BBC, we would be saying get over it, its getting a bit silly, he is not the first player to do something wrong and he won't be the last

They mentioned it AFTER the game, yes, AFTER the game. What in gods name does that have to do with the match we saw?

I didn't spot them mentioning it after the game. I was watching the BBC and they mentioned it due to the ironic situation of Henry appealing for a handball. Again, I'm sure many national broadcasters picked up on that. Was that what RTE did?

I don't see the problem in mentioning what happened when it was the goal that put France through and was their last competitive match prior to tonight.
    OPENROAD wrote:
    In fairness if it was the BBC, we would be saying get over it, its getting a bit silly, he is not the first player to do something wrong and he won't be the last

I wouldn't be saying that if it happened in a play-off to qualify for this tournament. That's recent history. I do think the Maradona handball bitterness should be left behind but that's hardly comparable in terms of length of time passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Ref had a decent game I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

agree,spot on
    but other side,france dont deserve too win yet alone be at world cup 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

officals and ref where solid,think mybe we see this throught whole world cup

• Advertisement

I

I wouldn't be saying that if it happened in a play-off to qualify for this tournament. That's recent history. I do think the Maradona handball bitterness should be left behind but that's hardly comparable in terms of length of time passed.

You wouldn't but many would including our own media, you know how it is with England here.

Great to see Liam back :)

agree,spot on
    but other side,france dont deserve too win yet alone be at world cup 2010

They do. Whoever is there deserves to be there, end of. If we were good enough, we'd be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

They do. Whoever is there deserves to be there, end of. If we were good enough, we'd be there.

CHEATERS dont deserve to be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

All 4 teams in this group have to give it a go in the next round of games. After today any of the teams could go througn. A place in the next round is there for the taking for whichever team steps up to the plate

Okay, um, I saw Duff dive loads, I saw...etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I didn't spot them mentioning it after the game. I was watching the BBC and they mentioned it due to the ironic situation of Henry appealing for a handball. Again, I'm sure many national broadcasters picked up on that. Was that what RTE did?

Yes. Nothing wrong with that imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Ref had a decent game I thought.

Isnt it funny, not one european ref in the two games and we can honestly say they didnt do much wrong . . European footie may be considered the best, but the refs are muck . .

On the Ireland thing , of course Irish people will feel the pinch watching France in the world cup . . Its not like the handball was in 1986 and we are just having another rant . . That could be us playing if they hadnt cheated their way to victory . .

Not just that, in most games neutrals want the underdog, the better team, the team showing more talent, the team working the hardest or the team deserving to qualify. . In the case of France, you couldnt tick any of those boxes . . Bitter . .Most definitely because I could be watching Ireland play Uruguay . . But then again, what is football without passion . . The word Fan means fanatical . . Show me a fanatical supporter that doesnt care when their team are cheated and I will show you a bandwagon fan . . How anybody could wonder why Irish fans feel any sense of bitterness makes me think they have come to the wrong forum or they are just one of those guys "who live under bridges" (that word that must not be spoken!) . .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Climate making ball seem quicker and bounce higher,

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »
    You wouldn't but many would including our own media, you know how it is with England here.

I don't know about that. I think if what happened to us happened to England then RTE would have still brought it up in their match build-up. So I don't find it embarrassing or irritating that RTE did so. I think it would have been really daft to pretend it never happened.

I share embarrassment over tabloid campaigns to get people to hate the French, companies running promotions if they lose etc but I think Henry RTE handled it well.

Isnt it funny, not one european ref in the two games and we can honestly say they didnt do much wrong . . European footie may be considered the best, but the refs are muck . .

On the Ireland thing , of course Irish people will feel the pinch watching France in the world cup . . Its not like the handball was in 1986 and we are just having another rant . . That could be us playing if they hadnt cheated their way to victory . .

Not just that, in most games neutrals want the underdog, the better team, the team showing more talent, the team working the hardest or the team deserving to qualify. . In the case of France, you couldnt tick any of those boxes . . Bitter . .Most definitely because I could be watching Ireland play Uruguay . . But then again, what is football without passion . . The word Fan means fanatical . . How anybody could wonder why Irish fans feel any sense of bitterness makes me think they have come to the wrong forum . .

Well I was at the game and I've kinda moved on a little bit. Some people should try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Great to see Liam back :)
    +1 Liams a Legend. By far the best pundit on RTE.

I don't know about that. I think if what happened to us happened to England then RTE would have still brought it up in their match build-up. So I don't find it embarrassing or irritating that RTE did so. I think it would have been really daft to pretend it never happened.

I share embarrassment over tabloid campaigns to get people to hate the French, companies running promotions if they lose etc but I think Henry RTE handled it well.

That said, free pizza, some pubs doing free beer, happy days :p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

John Terry,Ashley Cole,Deco,Frank Ribery......ah ya get the picture.......

AHH wtf thought there was 2 apre matches a day, repeating it here???:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Hehe, Rory McIlroy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Well I was at the game and I've kinda moved on a little bit. Some people should try it.

Whats wrong with venting on a soccer forum ?

Or do you just not like when people dont comply with your own humble ability to forgive . . :eek:

Well that was ****e lets hope apre match gets better.

Whats wrong with venting on a soccer forum ?

Or do you just not like when people dont comply with your own humble ability to forgive . . :eek:

I don't mind it man, but it's quite a good while ago at this stage and the fact of the matter is that if it was Keane that did it for us then we'd be bloody delighted. It's how the game works. Went against us last year, will go for us another time. But people calling Henry a "kunt" etc is just awfully embarrassing imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

If that were the case, how many players would ? Certainly wouldn't be much of a tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

I don't mind it man, but it's quite a good while ago at this stage and the fact of the matter is that if it was Keane that did it for us then we'd be bloody delighted. It's how the game works. Went against us last year, will go for us another time. But people calling Henry a "kunt" etc is just awfully embarrassing imo.
    Agreed.

Keane actually blatantly handled the ball 4 times vs France. It didn't lead to a goal, nobody gives a crap.

It is embarrassing, surely the anger should be directed at FIFA or the officials not Henry. Then again is anybody really suprised everyone loves a good witch hunt. If it was a player I hated I probably would join them....:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

DB10 wrote: »
    Agreed.

Keane actually blatantly handled the ball 4 times vs France. It didn't lead to a goal, nobody gives a crap.

It is embarrassing, surely the anger should be directed at FIFA or the officials not Henry. Then again is anybody really suprised everyone loves a good witch hunt. If it was a player I hated I probably would join them....:pac:

Exactly what I was just going to post. The anti-France/Henry stuff is tiresome. If France do win this World Cup I certainly wont be throwing myself off a cliff. Funny how a lot of people are writing them off, and I heard EXACTLY the same comments in 2006 and yet they ended up within a shoot out of winning the damn thing. Big difference this time though, they dont have Zidane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

The BBC mentioned it before the game also.

You said before. I said after.

Advertisement