Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recipe for spag bol using quorn

Options
  • 11-06-2010 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

hi

Ive never cooked spag bol before but i just bought some quorn mince for the first time. I know they have instructions on the pack, but i was wondering if anyone has there own little twist to make it taste nice, or does it taste fine just following the instructions?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

ash2008 wrote: »
    hi

spag bol

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭ash2008

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

what??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

It implies a meat based sauce ;) (I'm guessing)

Are you going to make it with a jar or from scratch?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

that was unusual, its veggie spag bol, maybe its an italien that would like the full spelling? :P

im a terrible cook so no help but id like to know too if anyone can tell us? havnt had sketty bolognaise in years :D

I usually add whatever's in the fridge veggie wise chopped small.
    Fry onions, carrots, celery, garlic, chilli, mushrooms, courgettes (whatever's about) untill tender.
    Add Quorn mince (or kidney beans if you're not into fake meat) and fry for another ten minutes.
    Add a jar or pasta sauce or a tin of chopped tomatoes.
    Simmer for a bit.
    Optionally add herbs, a dash of wine chilli powder, salt, pepper, a tea spoon of sugar whatever.
    Cook pasta and devour :pac:

I tend to make mine either spicy with chilli or wine and herby to mix it up a bit.
    It's nicer the next day too so I always leave enough for leftovers.

And don't for get the garlic bread :D

• Advertisement

Thanks Mary Ellen, I dont mind making it from a jar or from scratch to be honest. That recipe sounds good - a lot easier than i thought it would be too :)

If making it from a jar you could just buy a flavoured one.
    Fry onions (I seem to add them to everything) then mince and just add the jar.
    And experiment with different things the next time.
    Simples ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I make this loads, so simple - never used jar stuff, ugh.

Olive oil, fry garlic, add mince, fry for 2min.
    Add whatever veg you would usually add to spag bol, I just add mushrooms and onions. Add tomato pureé.
    Add tin of tomatoes, salt & pepper and oregano. Stir and leave to simmer for 10-15 min and serve with spaghetti.

Hope that helps. Its so easy to rustle up! Its an easy recipe to modify to your taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Very fond of my recipe which I've been tweaking/refining for years:

Olive Oil
    1 Onion, chopped small
    4 Cloves Garlic, minced
    2 Small Carrots, peeled and sliced into very thin rounds
    1 Stick Celery, chopped small
    1/2 Tin Tomato Puree
    1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes
    1 Vegetable Stock Cube
    1 Bay Leaf
    1 Tsp Salt
    1 Bag Quorn Mince
    1/2 Glass Red Wine [Optional]
    1 Tbl Yeast Extract (Marmite) [Optional]

Put a pot on a medium high heat and add a generous coating of Olive Oil to the bottom of the pan. When warm, add onion, carrot and celery and allow to soften off, stirring regularly for about 5-10mins. When the onions are nicely translucent, you're done.

Add the garlic to the pan and stir for about 1min. Add tomato puree and fry off for about 3 mins (removes slight metallic taste from puree). If using wine, add now. Add quorn mince, tomatoes, stock cube, bay leaf and stir. Add a glass of water so the sauce is not too dry. If using yeast extract, add that, otherwise add salt. Put a lid on and allow to come to the boil. Turn down to a low heat and cook with a lid on for about half an hour, stirring regularly. Cook with lid off for a further half an hour to allow the sauce to thicken.

Serve with pasta and garlic bread!

Freezes well. Frozen blocks of sauce can be gently defrosted in a lidded saucepan, to which a couple of tablespoons of water have been added, over a medium heat. Or in a microwave (I don't have one!)

@Kix - thanks, that looks good. How many servings would you get out of that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

ash2008 wrote: »
    @Kix - thanks, that looks good. How many servings would you get out of that?

As quoted it should feed three to four adults easily enough.

When I make it myself, I actually make four times the quantity mentioned above in a massive pot. It's not a lot more work and, because it freezes so easily, it's worth doing. I freeze two person portions in large recycled Chinese takeaway containers (the ones that are about 6cms deep). I think the last batch I made I got 7 generous two-person servings out of it.

It's usually even nicer after freezing, the flavour develops even more. I always add a generous glug of Extra Virgin Olive Oil near the end of cooking and before serving, it adds extra richness and flavour. Forgot to mention that! :)

Advertisement