Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Days of yore

Options
  • 11-06-2010 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭

I love hearing middle-aged/elderly people talk about old shops etc and what has replaced them... and now I'm starting to be able to do that myself. :o

I remember Argos/the Virgin Megastore unit being the Queen's Old Castle mini shopping centre - ok, not that long ago (1997 - possibly a long time ago to some reading here though), way further back (early to mid 80s): Roches Stores Patrick Street (now Debenhams) being in two buildings - you had to cross a side street to go to the café; the phone shop opposite Brown Thomas being an old-style sweet shop with glass jars of boiled sweets etc; Oasis being Issue; Cassidys - think that was around where Warehouse and the recently relocated River Island are; Soho being Doyles, and before that The Factory; The Roundy being The Roundy House.

It's really interesting to hear about the Munster Arcade, Egans, the Savoy being a cinema etc though - anyone remember back that far?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Queens Old Castle? Loved that place. Reminds of my childhood <nostalgia> when I was a good little Aaron at the dentist/doctor/optician etc, my father/mother would take me into the toy shop inside and I could pick out a toy... ah, good times /<nostalgia>

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

Being middle aged/elderly and a blow in, I can remember a pub on the corner of Patrick Street (where the dress hire shop is now) called The Swan and Signet, I think it was the first pub in Cork that I visited after getting off the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Dudess wrote: »
    I love hearing middle-aged/elderly people talk about old shops etc and what has replaced them... and now I'm starting to be able to do that myself. :o

I remember Argos/the Virgin Megastore unit being the Queen's Old Castle mini shopping centre - ok, not that long ago (1997 - possibly a long time ago to some reading here though), way further back (early to mid 80s): Roches Stores Patrick Street (now Debenhams) being in two buildings - you had to cross a side street to go to the café; the phone shop opposite Brown Thomas being an old-style sweet shop with glass jars of boiled sweets etc; Oasis being Issue; Cassidys - think that was around where Warehouse and the recently relocated River Island are; Soho being Doyles, and before that The Factory; The Roundy being The Roundy House.

It's really interesting to hear about the Munster Arcade, Egans, the Savoy being a cinema etc though - anyone remember back that far?

That sweet shop opposite BT's was Cudmore's.

I was only talking to a buddy last week about looking out at all the old derelict shops and pubs that were where Merchants quay is now - I remember it being built.

Another one people might not remember was the site where the Garda station on Anglesely street is now. It was full of Corporation sheds, huts etc....

Next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

I remember the queens old castle! I used to come from school, go to Charlie Duggans for a slice of Donkey's Gudge and we'd hang around about there.

I also remember Doyle's (where Soho is now) although i'm not proud of having frequented there. It was a hole!

There's a few other spots I miss also (and some not so much). The pubs of Barrack Street have been dwindling in numbers for a while. The Kosy Korner, The International (later MacSweeneys) and a mumber of others. The Gateway also has a trendy makeover and is frequented by failed hipster types apparently (i haven't been home in a while, so can only speak from second hand accounts).

Its amazing how much a town can change so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

The gingerbread house!!!! Oh the days of buying one pot of tea between four of us and loitering there for hours!! And those lovely doughnuts they made outside. :)

Great thread btw Dudess. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

showing my age now but we bought a video machine from a shop in the queens o.c and it was a betamax...... before the vhs video !!! burgerland was upstairs and a lovely seafood restaurant downstairs , called peri winkle ( ahead of its time )
    my fav sweet shop was foleys, which was next to wesley chapel on patricks street ( now evans ) you could get lindt choc there. a real treat :) and around the corner was a lovely cafe upstairs for real home made apple tart. it was called the leprechaun.

aahhh better stop now... making myself hungry !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

I remember the Savoy being a cinema and going there every Saturday in the late 60's and early 70's , it used to be full of kids screaming and shouting and lots of stuff been thrown down from upstairs , It was a magical experience ,

There was a Thompson's bakery shop around where Waterstones is now and the cakes in there were out of this world ,
    Woolworth's was the best shop in town though , they had everything from fishing gear to sweets , you could spend hours in there dreaming .

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

attachment.php?attachmentid=116593&d=1276247414

attachment.php?attachmentid=116594&d=1276247428

attachment.php?attachmentid=116595&d=1276247445

attachment.php?attachmentid=116596&d=1276247465

attachment.php?attachmentid=116597&d=1276247610.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Anybody remember Bennetts on North Main Street?

Remember the arcade/ammusements they put in the Savoy about 20 years ago? You would pay in at the door and spend the afternoon in there where most of the machines were free once you were inside. Didn't last long!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

Ah Queens castle, how I loved Noddys :)

116614.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Wow I must've came to Cork after they repainted mac donalds, can't remember it ever being black! Was it even macdonalds then?? And Game!! Nooooo!! :o:)

Great pics guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

NoDice wrote: »
    Was it even macdonalds then??
    used be Mandys. I miss those apple pies :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

The Goat Broke Loose on the corner where Grand Parade and South Mall meet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I used to feel to old for that place at 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Matty Kiely's chipper on Maylor St :(

cork45 wrote: »
    I used to feel to old for that place at 19.

I used to feel old in there at 17 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It's surprisingly hard to find old pictures of the city centre, even the recent enough past.

I'd love see some more of Patrick's St. during the 80s and see if my memories hold up, memories which are usually connected with toys e.g. I've an extremely vivid memory of a toy shop, located about where Laura Ashely is now, going upstairs and seeing the large city transformer that I wanted that year for Christmas.

I can also remember the exact -and I mean exact, down to where the pencils were - layout of Easons when it was at it's old location. Which is weird, because I can't have been much more than 6 when it moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭dezzyd

Matty Kiely's chipper on Maylor St :(

Ah matty, Best chips ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Aw man, that's where I used to drink underage too. Always spinning that wheel cos I hadn't a clue what to drink anyway.

• Advertisement

babo9 wrote: »

116614.jpg

They were real Christmas decorations right there. None of that modern rubbish we have now. You can walk down Pana at Christmas these days and not know whether they were christmas decorations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

deRanged wrote: »
    used be Mandys. I miss those apple pies :(

and WAY back it was woodford bourne. a very old cork trading family. wines and a fantastic array of fresh coffee beans. there was also a florist in one half of it in latter years. the flower shop moved to academy street to trade as academy florists. academy st was a really busy shopping street. trudy boutique. and the green door cake shop which was up the windy steps to the side of the chateau at the top of academy street. a tiny bakery, you d be killed in the squash to get the fresh cakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

There's the Woodford pub around there now - or there was until recently anyway.
    Trashbat wrote: »
    The Gateway also has a trendy makeover and is frequented by failed hipster types apparently (i haven't been home in a while, so can only speak from second hand accounts).
    I actually quite like An Réalt Dearg (which is where The Gateway was) - it's got a nice chilled vibe, plays good music.
    NoDice wrote: »
    The gingerbread house!!!! Oh the days of buying one pot of tea between four of us and loitering there for hours!! And those lovely doughnuts they made outside. :)
    Loved the GBH :) Great food - I remember at Christmas its mince pies were out of this world. Wonderful coffee too.
    cork45 wrote: »
    Anybody remember Bennetts on North Main Street?
    Yep, sure do... Real bargain bin kinda place - went there quite a lot with my mother in the 80s.
    murphym7 wrote: »
    Remember the arcade/ammusements they put in the Savoy about 20 years ago? You would pay in at the door and spend the afternoon in there where most of the machines were free once you were inside. Didn't last long!
    Yep, used to go there a lot too as a teen. It was booming between about '92 and '94.
    babo9 wrote: »
    I used to think it was named after the Enid Blyton character, but it was actually the owner - a fella called Nodwell. :)
    I can also remember the exact -and I mean exact, down to where the pencils were - layout of Easons when it was at it's old location.
    Oh where was Easons? Thought it was always in the same spot...

Anyone remember Red Square and Zoot clothes shops on Paul Street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

I actually quite like An Réalt Dearg (which is where The Gateway was) - it's got a nice chilled vibe, plays good music.

An Réalt Dearg means red Star doesnt it? They going for a Commie theme :D

Im not a fan of music in Pubs. its a shame, as it used to be an old shool barrack Street pub, complete with old men and good old characters. There's not enough pubs like that anymore, where they acted like care in the community for alot of the older locals.

does anyone remember the Celtic bar on Evergreen Street? That place was fantastic. Like a sitcom, a real experience having a pint in there.

and WAY back it was woodford bourne. a very old cork trading family.

An ole lad was telling me on Friday night that in the 50s they used to only serve Protestants, no Catholics allowed :eek:

'tis amazing what someone mentioning they would like to see England win the World Cup (not me btw) leads to.

Some class pics there of Cork, was never a huge fan of going to town when I was a kid, although Mum used to always bring us to a cafe or cake shop which I liked. The past always seems so good........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

I remember going to the cinema to see bambi with my dad, and I think it was on Washington St?
    Also loved the cafe/sandwich shop that was in the savoy at the back.
    I really miss Roches Stores:(
    There used to be a cafe in Penneys, you go upstairs and turn left and then go down a stairs to the cafe, I remember it because they had those kiddies rides for 20p.
    I got my communion dress in Bennetts, I still have it 20 years later.

Kold wrote: »
    Aw man, that's where I used to drink underage too. Always spinning that wheel cos I hadn't a clue what to drink anyway.

Ha, that sounds very familiar, how I miss that wheel :(. I seem to remember The Bakery and Gorbys being soft touches on the ID front as well.

My mum used to bring me and my sister to to the old cafe in Roches Stores. I remember it was an awful shade of brown and had big windows facing out on to the rest of the shop floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Ha, that sounds very familiar, how I miss that wheel :(. [/ QUOTE]

Spin the wheel thing is in the new bar, door 51, 4.95 a spin!

Thanks Cadyboo, I'll have to give it a spin someday soon :) Hope I have a bit more sense using it now than I did back in the Goat days :P

• Advertisement

Thanks Cadyboo, I'll have to give it a spin someday soon :) Hope I have a bit more sense using it now than I did back in the Goat days :P

You're doing the leaving but went to the Goat ? Feck, you must be a mature looking dude to have gotten in there, 'tis closed years isn't it ?

Advertisement