Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Days of yore

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Woops, I see the confusion. I'm 26 and I'm repeating Leaving Cert Irish this year for primary school teaching. I did ordinary level Irish when I originally did the Leaving Cert back in 2002. The Goat is closed a good number of years now, maybe around the 02/03 mark? Anyway, I'm just up after my snooze and I have to get back to the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Never mind The Goat, the real show in that part of town was Shandras! Inter & Leaving cert nights out in the Grand Parade were nuts! Every part of the building seemed to turn into a night club, including the yard out the back with a Cadillac up on the wall! It felt like there was thousands of people there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Woops, I see the confusion. I'm 26 and I'm repeating Leaving Cert Irish this year for primary school teaching. I did ordinary level Irish when I originally did the Leaving Cert back in 2002. The Goat is closed a good number of years now, maybe around the 02/03 mark? Anyway, I'm just up after my snooze and I have to get back to the books.

very interested to hear that john. hope it s going well for you. well done, big decision for you
    my daughter wants primary teaching ,desperately. she is taking higher irish at the moment, but struggling. we are debating her options. any advice you have would be great. we are considering dropping to pass trying to get the points for an arts degree and then like you re sitting the higher irish. she wont get enough for primary in any case so it will be a back door entry via arts. early childhood studies or some degree.
    stressful time ! she is going into 6 th yr in sept, but has no science subject so primary in the uk is not an option either.
    i apologise if this is not an appropriate forum for this question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Cash's where BT's is now.

Roches Stores :D

The old terminal in Cork Airport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Thanks Cadyboo, I'll have to give it a spin someday soon :) Hope I have a bit more sense using it now than I did back in the Goat days :P

Myself and Steve did it a few weeks ago, I won a mini cocktail, there are 2 loses on it, and guess what... Steve got one, :D
    RoverJames wrote: »
    You're doing the leaving but went to the Goat ? Feck, you must be a mature looking dude to have gotten in there, 'tis closed years isn't it ?
    LOL:D

Thats brilliant your very brave, couldnt cope with the studying now. Best of luck with it.:)

On another note Patrick St has won an award, anyone think its worthy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Cash's where BT's is now.

Roches Stores :D

The old terminal in Cork Airport

Ya, the new one sucks! Why does everything have to get modernised looking, same with the Christmas decs someone mentioned a few posts back.

When we were younger we used to cycle up to the airport, have a cup of hot chocolate and watch the planes take off :) one time we came flying down the airport road as it was getting/already was dark with no lights or safety gear, I had a speedo that read we got to 32 mph I think!! Ah the things ya do as youngsters...
    Anyway back on topic, too bad the old terminal isn't there anymore, would have liked to bring my future kids there some day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

very interested to hear that john. hope it s going well for you. well done, big decision for you
    my daughter wants primary teaching ,desperately. she is taking higher irish at the moment, but struggling. we are debating her options. any advice you have would be great. we are considering dropping to pass trying to get the points for an arts degree and then like you re sitting the higher irish. she wont get enough for primary in any case so it will be a back door entry via arts. early childhood studies or some degree.
    stressful time ! she is going into 6 th yr in sept, but has no science subject so primary in the uk is not an option either.
    i apologise if this is not an appropriate forum for this question

Sent you a PM Curly.
    Cadyboo wrote: »
    Myself and Steve did it a few weeks ago, I won a mini cocktail, there are 2 loses on it, and guess what... Steve got one, :D

LOL:D

Thats brilliant your very brave, couldnt cope with the studying now. Best of luck with it.:)

On another note Patrick St has won an award, anyone think its worthy?

I'm going to suggest we try Bar 51 for our class' post Irish exam drinks on Friday (most of us have work tomorrow so couldn't have them tonight :()! Brave....more like a glutton for punishment :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Dragging this up because I was having a real-life discussion similar to this last night and was reminded: anyone remember where Easons in town used to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 BigDinny

It was where A-Wear is on Patrick's Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The laziest move ever. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Its funny hearing about the old Roches stores on Patrick street. Place had everything & the restaurant that was accessible via a glass covered bridge. That was exciting for me as a kid. They had lovely chips as well.:D

Those were the days when i wasn't allowed in town on my own. The mean streets. Always went in with the parents on the bus (yes the bus!!!) on saturday around lunchtime & we'd not get back till dinnertime.
    If myself & the brothers were good we'd get a feed in McDonalds & that was a big deal in those days.

The english market is another place that brings back strong memories of ye olde days. Always liked the place & it hasn't changed much in 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Its funny hearing about the old Roches stores on Patrick street. Place had everything & the restaurant that was accessible via a glass covered bridge. That was exciting for me as a kid. They had lovely chips as well.:D

Those were the days when i wasn't allowed in town on my own. The mean streets. Always went in with the parents on the bus (yes the bus!!!) on saturday around lunchtime & we'd not get back till dinnertime.
    If myself & the brothers were good we'd get a feed in McDonalds & that was a big deal in those days.

The english market is another place that brings back strong memories of ye olde days. Always liked the place & it hasn't changed much in 20 years.

Ooh la la, McDonalds was it. I was lucky to be brought to Mandy's. I hate show off's!!:D:D

Roches stores was class, it's awful to have the sh1t hole that is Debanhams there now. At least they have left Roches Stores on the building.

murphym7 wrote: »
    Ooh la la, McDonalds was it. I was lucky to be brought to Mandy's. I hate show off's!!:D:D

Ah yeah we were posh alright. Loaded in fact. Mummy & Daddy would insist on getting first class seats....on the bus.:mad:

:D

RoverJames wrote: »
    Roches stores was class, it's awful to have the sh1t hole that is Debanhams there now. At least they have left Roches Stores on the building.

Yup & what was great about the place is the fact that they sold everything. Clothes, toasters, tv's, tools, fridgefreezers, regular groceries, feckin everything.:pac:

Yup & what was great about the place is the fact that they sold everything. Clothes, toasters, tv's, tools, fridgefreezers, regular groceries, feckin everything.:pac:

Got most of the crap I needed for my flat in Roches in Tallaght years back, savage shop for the 24 year old not at all interested in stuff for the gaf, couple of hours and all sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭lisao80

Cadyboo wrote: »
    Also loved the cafe/sandwich shop that was in the savoy at the back.

Mary Rose's ..i used love that place too, my nan had a clothes shop for years in the savoy called reflections and i used spend many an hour propped up on the high stools in Mary Rose's with a colouring book and a drink to keep out of the shop. Until the arcade upstairs opened and kept me entertained instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

God Mary Rose's brings back memories. My Mother used to drag me into Hickey's every saturday morning so she could buy fabric, and I'd end up getting a merringue and a tea as a reward in Mary Roses. And drowned in Cigarrette smoke from all the OAPs in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

Dan Dare wrote: »
    Being middle aged/elderly and a blow in, I can remember a pub on the corner of Patrick Street (where the dress hire shop is now) called The Swan and Signet, I think it was the first pub in Cork that I visited after getting off the train.

Me too Dan, with a gf from long long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The Savoy when it was games arcade with a huge slide.
    Adventureland where youd get a sticker for going down the big blue slide.

Lifestyle Sports and then a huge games store where Vera Moda and Jack and Jones are now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Dudess wrote: »
    It's really interesting to hear about the Munster Arcade, Egans, the Savoy being a cinema etc though - anyone remember back that far?

Worked as a lift boy in the Munster Arcade when I was 10, circa 1962. There was a specific weigh to carry and I was constantly getting into trouble in the posh section, the St Patrick's Street entrance for overloading it with rich women.

Under threat of the sack if I did it again, having filled the lift a nun approached, of all people a nun in those days, those days one would kneel down at Angelus time and say the prayer, so the fact that I had to ask the nun to wait for the next lift threw a fox fur collared woman into a rage and I protested back which startled everyone.

There I was in the poshest store in town having given back talk and everyone was looking at me, even the fox's head was looking at me. I was taken by the hand by the lady floor walker and brought to the office straight away, there I was deported to the working class lift, the Oliver Plunkett Street entrance.

I did get to see and assist Santa, that was a treat and they had the best film in town too and the sound would boom out over the city, that sound would drive me crazy in previous Christmas's as we lived on a top floor adjacent to the Munster Arcade.

We could not afford to visit Santa so this job made up for it big time, I was sneaked into the cinema by my boss, a tall thin gentleman wearing spectacles and those brown store coats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

fitzdragon wrote: »
    I remember the Savoy being a cinema and going there every Saturday in the late 60's and early 70's , it used to be full of kids .

I'd have been one o dem kids too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Babette

Does anyone remember a cafe, more like an old-fashioned tea-room, which was on Prince's St I think. You went up a narrow stairs and it was on two levels. I think it became the Step-In eventually but can't remember what the earlier incarnation was called.

Thompsons on MacCurtain St was the king of the Cork cafes. It's now a modern wasteland (call centre) - if I ever win the lotto I'll buy the building and stuff it with cream cakes and odd paintings again.

Halpins was the only restaurant in town I can ever remember being taken to on rare occasions of eating out. And Mandy's was considered the sophisticated choice for kids' birthday parties circa 1980.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

razorblunt wrote: »
    The Savoy when it was games arcade with a huge slide.
    I loved that place, the owner was a really nice man too. When I went down the slide the first time I stupidly didn't keep my hands away from the edges, I ending up burning them and crying, my Dad half knew the owner and he came down and gave me free stuff and I think some coin chips so I could play loads of arcade games, it took away the tears :) Bomberman, what an arcade game!

Another time I got my finger wacked while plaing air hockey, owner did the same again :)

Later when it started to loose business and it was only one floor, I was in there with my Dad and the owner guy was working the tills, there was practically nobody around and I saw a Migthy Max Snake toy in a claw machine, I thought it was cool. (don't ask me how you were suppose to pick that up!)
    Just googled it, here's the toy, brings back memories
    144845.PNG

But anyway the guy opened up the machine and just gave me the toy, I was delighted :D

Advertisement