Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it still possible for me to get an A1 or A2 in English?

• 11-06-2010 1:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭

I really want an A - 1 or 2. The problem is, I feel like I've totally f*cked it up on Paper 2. I was really pleased with the poets and I feel like I did a really good essay on Yeats. I finished my general vision and viewpoint essay and thought that went reasonably well too.

However, I found myself very short on time at the end. I only had thirty five minutes to do my King Lear essay and I only got two and three quarters of a page done and it's unfinished. I did the second question about characters and referred to Goneril, Regan and Edmund and only got about five lines in on Cordelia as an example of virtue. I'm disappointed with this. I also didn't even get to read the unseen poem.

I was really happy with my Paper 1 and I thought I did really well with it. I'm kinda on a downer now, because I feel like it's all gone to sh*t and I've missed my chance at an A.

Is there any chance of an A with an unfinished Lear question and an unattempted question on Paper 2?
    I just want some peace of mind so I can stop thinking about it. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Course there's a chance. You could have got 190/200 on paper 1 and even if your Lear question is a B1 (50/60) you can still rack up 170/180 on paper 2. 190 + 170 gives you 360 out of 400. A1. Maybe you did better than 95% on Paper 1. Maybe you did better on Lear. Quality not quantity. It may have appeared unfinished to you but perhaps the marking scheme had you down for an A1 on Lear before you even got to that point. Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭!?!

I also wanted an A1 or A2, spent 25/ 20 mintues on Kavangh though, and the irony of it is that it was the question i knew best out of the whole paper. I even drew little smilet faces around it when I first saw it! :( my writing isn't even legible....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

You can't lose hope! You have no idea how it'll be marked.
    But at the same time, don't get your hopes up about it only to be disappointed!
    Just tell yourself there's no way you can possibly know and try to forget about it til august :)

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

I got an A in Junior Cert English, and I remember I barely got a question started and only wrote around 2 pages or less, maybe not even that much, so you'd never know. I can't remember what question it was but I do remember it was kinda important, like not just an unseen poem or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Cook!eMonster

I'm sure u'll be fine :D

I had a dream last night that I got a b3..heres hoping!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Mr Cawley

I really want an A - 1 or 2. The problem is, I feel like I've totally f*cked it up on Paper 2. I was really pleased with the poets and I feel like I did a really good essay on Yeats. I finished my general vision and viewpoint essay and thought that went reasonably well too.

However, I found myself very short on time at the end. I only had thirty five minutes to do my King Lear essay and I only got two and three quarters of a page done and it's unfinished. I did the second question about characters and referred to Goneril, Regan and Edmund and only got about five lines in on Cordelia as an example of virtue. I'm disappointed with this. I also didn't even get to read the unseen poem.

I was really happy with my Paper 1 and I thought I did really well with it. I'm kinda on a downer now, because I feel like it's all gone to sh*t and I've missed my chance at an A.

Is there any chance of an A with an unfinished Lear question and an unattempted question on Paper 2?
    I just want some peace of mind so I can stop thinking about it. :(

I'm in the same boat, very short Lear and Poetry Q. It's a pity you didn't write at least one line for the unseen, i feel they would have given you something for it. If there are subjects you're not expecting an A1 in, you might be able to reclaim 10 points there. Better not to let it hamper your other exams now, good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

No. Your life is now ruined.

Jk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I spent far too long on my Lear and GV+V questions, and only started the poetry around 5:10. I got a really messy paragraph on Yeats down, and some shoddily written bullet points for the unseen. I was inconsolable when I got home yesterday- I was that upset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭0.M.GXX

oh no that sucks... i bet you did fine though,.. as your lear q .. comparartive will be very goood... for me the single text on dancing of lughnasa was a joke... dont think i could have done worse... 3pages on wafffeee grr!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 cleirigh06

I got one in my mocks and got lazy, thought I was sorted
    But I hated the comprehensions in Paper One. Al Gore was the easiest for question A but I refused to do it because it goes against everything I believe in (I hate Al Gore possibly more than anyone else in the world and all of his lies) and I wasn't prepared to betray my morals for success.
    Overall I wrote far too much for everything else and only got to write 2 pages for my essay, the most important part!! The material I wrote was very very good but it wasn't long enough.
    Paper Two was grand. I never did general vision and viewpoint so I was forced to do Literary Genre, and the question was quite hard because it seemed more like a Cultural Context Question than anything else.
    I am pleased with Paper Two though, I wrote 9 pages for Lear, 9 for Literary Genre, 8 for Yeats and 3 for the Unseen Poem. I am an incredibly fast writer ;)
    Don't worry about saying as long as it is clear and consise and saying I did a bad job because it was so long, it was clear and concise I just examined everything in minute detail

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

cleirigh06 wrote: »
    But I hated the comprehensions in Paper One. Al Gore was the easiest for question A but I refused to do it because it goes against everything I believe in (I hate Al Gore possibly more than anyone else in the world and all of his lies) and I wasn't prepared to betray my morals for success.
    Overall I wrote far too much for everything else and only got to write 2 pages for my essay, the most important part!! The material I wrote was very very good but it wasn't long enough.
    Paper Two was grand. I never did general vision and viewpoint so I was forced to do Literary Genre, and the question was quite hard because it seemed more like a Cultural Context Question than anything else.
    I am pleased with Paper Two though, I wrote 9 pages for Lear, 9 for Literary Genre, 8 for Yeats and 3 for the Unseen Poem. I am an incredibly fast writer ;)
    Don't worry about saying as long as it is clear and consise and saying I did a bad job because it was so long, it was clear and concise I just examined everything in minute detail

Hmm.. Are you the guy who made that video by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Mr Cawley wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat, very short Lear and Poetry Q. It's a pity you didn't write at least one line for the unseen, i feel they would have given you something for it. If there are subjects you're not expecting an A1 in, you might be able to reclaim 10 points there. Better not to let it hamper your other exams now, good luck

Im in the same same same boat as you guys. I really wanted an A as its my only good subject. But yeah... my mum who was a teacher for a long time was talking to me about it and she said it is probably still possible. I answered everything but ran out of time for Lear. I have been teaching myself English all year as my teacher made it very clear at the beginning of the year that I would have to do English myself because she doesnt teach repeats. So yeah... I wanted an A just to shove it in her face and well like a personal achievement. I will pray for you and the person who started the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

fufureida wrote: »
    as my teacher made it very clear at the beginning of the year that I would have to do English myself because she doesnt teach repeats.

wtf?! Can she do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

Yes, yes he is. :DSpastic...

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Conor108 wrote: »
    wtf?! Can she do that?

Well she did it so Im guessing yeah. She didnt care about me at all and the second I got a B1 in mu mocks she gave me alllllll the atention in the world... whatever, I hated her and stopped going to her class.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

Yes, yes he is. :DSpastic...

Haaa.. i'm pretty proud of that spot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ditzie

cleirigh06 wrote: »
    Better to have 2 brilliant pages then 4 pages of waffle! i only wrote 2 pages in my mocks and got an A1 on my essay and could only write 2 pages in the real thing but i feel it was the best essay i've ever written!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

hahaha. Posted that video of him in a thread but it disappeared, the thread along with the video on youtube aswell. I was hoping for a Paper 2 video from him to see if he fcuked up his timing again!:D

Advertisement