Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating the leaving cert and subject choices....

• 11-06-2010 1:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hey...first off good luck to all of ye doing the leaving this yr! Brave out! smile.gif

Em I'm considering repeating my leaving cert for the 2010/11 yr so I am just trying to gather as much info as possible about the subjects i'm considering doing so all help mucho appreciated! smile.gifsmile.gif I did my first LC in 2006 so i'd say there has been a bit of change to the syllabai and I don't know any LC students for the last few yrs so maybe ye can throw up a few opinions? Be great to get some when they're fresh in yer minds from the exams! smile.gif

Any info on Bio, Chem, Physics, Ag Science, Buisness, Geography and Home Ec??

Thanks lads! smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Are you doing it in a school or as an external student? If external you will have to get a teacher to sign off on ag science, geography and home ec projects. You might also be inspected (fairly rare though) for proof that you conducted the bio, chem and physics experiments in the lab. All the syllabi are on www.education.ie . Click the link on the left to syllabi. Chief examiners reports and marking schemes are on www.examinations.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 What to do with my life?!

Thanks for the links on the external will read that! :)
    I will be doing it in a school as a repeat. I have bio phys n chem done from 2006 but will obv have to do the experiments again right?

I've read the syllabi and that but i really want to hear some first hand info maybe.I will only be doing 6 subjects so out of the 7 i'm trying to decide which 6. It's mainly between home ec and business and it's all based on time really. What i can get coverd the most effectively in the year.
    Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cailin_donn

Home Ec will tie in with Bio, Chem and Business. It's a very long course, but it's interesting- especially the social parts. the project (if you do it properly) usually scores high, so its a relief having that 18-20% already, before you sit the exam.

The only drawback is that it IS verrrry long, and you can't leave much out because they like to mix up chapters in the questions on the exam. But I only took it up in 5th year and I found it easy to get into, as long as you keep on top of things

That was my fear....the lenght of the course...is the practical side....what is it by the way....cooking or a craft?!......compulsary???

Ya the overlap is really handy between the subjects! U know much about business or ag science???

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭gruffler91

That was my fear....the lenght of the course...is the practical side....what is it by the way....cooking or a craft?!......compulsary???

Ya the overlap is really handy between the subjects! U know much about business or ag science???

cooking is part of the project worth 20%....you are given 5 assignments and you will have to investigate the requirements of each assignment, cook the dish and then write each up into the LC booklet. Just finished 5th yr myself and have all 5 assignments completed and booklet filled but they do take a nice bit of time and as far as I know the Dept picks them up in Oct/Nov of the yr you're doing the leaving for correction so if you were to choose Home Ec you would have to get working on them right away.

Business course is another one of the VERY LONG ones. Its also very tricky to get the hang of the marking scheme and how it is corrected. You have to take note of how the questions are worded eg in a Q that says "illustrate" you MUST include an example. I would really recommend looking at the syllabus etc on sec website and that should give you a better idea. HTH. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

The geography course is quite a big one. There isn't anything that you won't be able to understand, there's just alot to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BrenosBolts91

I'm repeating at the moment , in the middle of this LC craic again! Going back to repeat was a tough , esp as I got my course ! But turns out its a great year in the end . The key is Ag Science , and only doing 6 subjects . So if you are going to pick up some subjects , definately do Ag . Its very easy to pick up in a short amount of time.

Thanks for the replays lads! Really helping! :)

IS AgSc really a good subject...i hear dit was and interesting so that really helps!
    I think i'm not goin to do home ec because of those asg qitht he Oct deadline...too time consumming i think!
    Is there some practical in Geo do ye know?

Also if ye can have ya any names of textbooks?

It's so wierd the thought of going from college back to my leaving cert to go back to college!! :eek:

What subjects are u reapeating of u don't mind me asking? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

There's a project you have to do for Geography.

About ag science, is it hard finishing the portfolio for it within one year or is it okay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭LadyGaga!

Home Ec is really long, the project will take up so much time (it has to be done before November) and the syllabus is huge and if you've never done it before it'll be quite hard to start with. There's 2 main Home Ec books available - Living Life & Lifelines. http://www.wiseowl.ie/ lists all the books available :)

• Advertisement

Lady Gaga ur a star...thank u! :) I'm really starting to think Home ec is the one i'll drop and just do business....eat the book for the year haha! :)

H2 Student....u know much about Ag Science? Projects?!?

Also another questions are these projects n lab books u must fill out compulsory??

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

Hey,

I'm repeating and took up ag science and end up getting a B1 in the Mocks, it's very achievable and you get your project back, i got 96 out of 100, so i basically already have 24%, genetics and soil come up every year and regularly repeat themselves, the short questions are grand, they tie in with biology on occasions and classification of organisms appears most years - very easy to learn,
    only roblem is the text backs arn't great but rapid revision got me through a good bit of this year and doign the exam papers...anyway i recommend it...

And Economics :):):) <---very short course

What does this portf consist of...like will u have to do a field trip or is it classroom based?! Ya i hear alrite there is overlap so that is handy out! :)

Ag Econmics or just Econimcs itself....i was looking into that but the place i want to repeat on have some rule u can't take it up if u have not done it before....a bit stupid i think?!

You do a fieldtrip - pick 1 animal and 1 crop
    Write up a project and it gets marked by your teacher

We did simmental cattle, oats and barley.
    Then you include a farm plan, machinery, farm buildings, his routine etc...

That's like 8% or something,
    Then you write up a lab book with experiments, that's another 8-9%
    Identification of plants and animals makes up the rest,
    You have to recognise 5 plants and 5 animals of agricultural imprtance..

It seems alot but the project is graaaaand and easily marked...

And I meant Economics not Ag.Eco...
    It's a short course and very predictable...

Most repeats do Economics in my school :)

Ya and Economics would be interesting too lie, must get back onto the school and ask them why?! Bit strange....would maybe do it instead of Geo if it is a shorter course!

The fieldtrip kinda sounds like fun and intersting so i;ve heard to it's marked lightly! :) Also is there an oral for the Ag Sc??

It's not really an oral, not everybody gets picked, it's jyust a talk about your project...so don't worry

I'd do geography aswell :) or business

Or all 4

So it is just a random kinda thing so and not for defo...that's good! :)

Ya i think now Bio, Chem, Physics, Business, Geo and Ag Science for me. Might try and find out more about Economics though!

Are you repeating this yera having done your LC in 2009? I'm all the way from 2006 aaahhhh!

Advertisement