Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! No accounting experience & drowning in receipts!

Options
  • 11-06-2010 2:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Thought I'd join-up to Boards.ie to see if anyone could offer some advice. It's slightly embarrassing, but I've no accounting experience or education (changed from commerce to art in secondary school to the delight of my parents) and I run my own small business.

I keep on meaning to get down to sorting my accounts, but procrastinate as I really don't know what I'm doing. So the receipts pile keeps on growing... Does anyone know if there is some advice service out there for people like me - I know I'll fly once I get some instruction. In the meantime, I'm drowning. Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭J.Ryan

You could hire a book-keeper if you can or ask your current accountants to do you book-keeping.

You will need to stay up to date in VAT returns, or risk penalties, why not ask you existing accountant to recommend something that would suit your business.

I think FAS run a sort of book-keeping course in some of their centres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Cottah

Thanks J Ryan. The only thing is I don't have an accountant - I kind of fear my business is too small for anyone to take me on. If there is someone out there willing to do that, perhaps a recent graduate, I'm willing to accept!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭shy

hi ya

send me a pm with ur contact details and Ill give u a call and tell u what u need to do etc, just to see where your are at with deadlines etc and to put your mind at rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Cottah wrote: »
    Thanks J Ryan. The only thing is I don't have an accountant - I kind of fear my business is too small for anyone to take me on. If there is someone out there willing to do that, perhaps a recent graduate, I'm willing to accept!

Getting help would probably a good idea. Assuming you're from Dublin since you didn't think it necessary to mention location :p;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Begsy15

Hi cottah i work for a book keeping company and we could have a look at your books and see how your fixed pm me if your interested

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 michele_aplos

Cottah wrote: »
    Thought I'd join-up to Boards.ie to see if anyone could offer some advice. It's slightly embarrassing, but I've no accounting experience or education (changed from commerce to art in secondary school to the delight of my parents) and I run my own small business.

I keep on meaning to get down to sorting my accounts, but procrastinate as I really don't know what I'm doing. So the receipts pile keeps on growing... Does anyone know if there is some advice service out there for people like me - I know I'll fly once I get some instruction. In the meantime, I'm drowning. Many thanks!
    I work for a software company designed for individuals as yourself. The software is actually for nonprofits but may work as I have a friend who uses it for their small business as well. The simplicity of the software is what is so appealing, espeicially for tracking your receipts. You can check it out and download a free trial at www.aplossofware.com and see if this would work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Frustrated_WW

Hi Cottah I run a small book keeping business offering both bookkeeping and secretarial services to small business. I would be more than happy to discuss this with you further, please PM me. Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

OP you dont state what part of the contry you are in but ive recently completed the accounting technician course I would be more than willing to help you out. Im in laois but could travel a little PM me if you are intrested.

Advertisement