Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2010 - explosion at City Hall

Options
  • 11-06-2010 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

Just got a text from a mate saying all the windows in city hall have been blown out. Cops and fire are on scene at the moment

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The tea urn was programmed to come on at 8am and to be nicely at the boil by the time the staff appeared at 9am. Must have forgotten to fill it last night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The tea urn was programmed to come on at 8am and to be nicely at the boil by the time the staff appeared at 9am. Must have forgotten to fill it last night :)
    Jeez, the lengths those PS workers will go to for a day off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

On Galway Bay FM now.
    Fire Brigade say it's not a piped Gas explosion.
    Car Windows were also blown in.

Doesn't appear that anyone was hurt - Thank God it happened before the workers arrived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Has anyone got any links for this? Can't see anything on RTE or Galway Bay's website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭fatguy2k1

cops all over College Road at the moment. i'm just waiting for someone else to come into work so i can pop down there to have a look and getr some photos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 kruger248

RTE reporting it here now. Nothing more than what was said here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

fatguy2k1 wrote: »
    cops all over College Road at the moment. i'm just waiting for someone else to come into work so i can pop down there to have a look and getr some photos.

Make sure to post them up here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Bound to happen. The amount of methane expelled and spouted by councillors in the chamber had to escape at some point.

Which one is the City Hall? I always get them mixed up. Is the City Hall the one that nearest Cuba or is that the County Hall?

just down there, the lower right hand cornor of the building is were all the damage is. all the windows blown out. doesn't look like a gas leak as there were no scorch marks on the building. i'm trying to send the photo to my e-mail but it's not wokring for me at the moment.

• Advertisement

Which one is the City Hall? I always get them mixed up. Is the City Hall the one that nearest Cuba or is that the County Hall?

The County Buildings are beside Cuba. City Hall is on College Road.

quality isn't the best but you get the idea.

CityHall.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Everybody has now gone home for the day bar security , they could not get in to park and they do not have to report to work if there is no free parking for them.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Everybody has now gone home for the day bar security , they could not get in to park and they do not have to report to work if there is no free parking for them.

Regardless if there was free parking or not, would your employers expect you to work in a building that an explosion had just happened in and the windows where gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

An explosion at city hall?

Someone call batman, looks like the joker is up to his old tricks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Regardless if there was free parking or not, would your employers expect you to work in a building that an explosion had just happened in and the windows where gone?

lol-026.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 EBONY00

Would have my suspicions that this was not an accident, there are alot of people pissed off with the county and city councils in galway about the way they have run things over the last couple of years. They have been an absolute shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

EBONY00 wrote: »
    Would have my suspicions that this was not an accident, there are alot of people pissed off with the county and city councils in galway about the way they have run things over the last couple of years. They have been an absolute shambles.

Do the Gardai know of your suspicions?

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Do the Gardai know of your suspicions?

Stop talking nonsense, suspicions that someone out there might have taken the law into their own hands, not suspicious of someone i know

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

First day of the World Cup ...Blow up the office....Stay at home for the day....Result :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Stop talking nonsense, suspicions that someone out there might have taken the law into their own hands, not suspicious of someone i know

No, I wasn't being sarcastic.
    First day of the World Cup ...Blow up the office....Stay at home for the day....Result :D

Back of the net!

I'd say your delighted now with all the gardai focusing their attention on this and not looking for untaxed cars? :D

It will be interesting to hear what the cause was anyway but I don't think it was deliberate.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tony Almeida

I'd say your delighted now with all the gardai focusing their attention on this and not looking for untaxed cars? :D

It will be interesting to hear what the cause was anyway but I don't think it was dilberate.

Maybe it wasn't deliberate either

I can see it now... The Joe Duffy Martyr's Brigade: bomb a government building in the morning, whine about the shocking price of explosives at lunchtime. It would be great, you'd be kept busy all day.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Would have my suspicions that this was not an accident
    If you have something real then contact the Garda, if not - please don't start rumours.

biko wrote: »
    If you have something real then contact the Garda, if not - please don't start rumours.

Was not starting a rumour, dont accuse me of such

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭carmex21

I was working with a private company in Dublin and the water boiler in the basement blew up. All the first floor windows were blown out and the rooms pretty badly damaged.
    I was working on the 2nd floor (5 floors in total). We had to stay for the day!! :confused:

So, yes, people are sometimes expected to work as long as phone lines etc are not damaged….
    I guess it depends on how much of the building was damaged.

Glad no one was injured of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MoSeS_.

Was talking to my cousin there, he was in the building at the time.
    He's usually in pretty early, 7:30 or so. Said he was talking to the fire officer who told him there was probably a build up of methane in that section of the building and that a light someone turned on eventually ignited it.

My cousin, having turned on the light in question, was thanking his lucky stars at this point that he hadn't been blown to kingdom come there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Oh No! And on Whacky tie Friday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭carmex21

Gosh, glad your cousin is ok...scary stuff

Advertisement