Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2010 - explosion at City Hall

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

kruger248 wrote: »
    I can see it now... The Joe Duffy Martyr's Brigade: bomb a government building in the morning, whine about the shocking price of explosives at lunchtime. It would be great, you'd be kept busy all day.:D
    Is today "Funny" Friday?

fatguy2k1, I suggest that you wang a bloody great copyright notice on them pictures before some charlatan local news organisation steals them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭notel70

EBONY00 wrote: »
    Would have my suspicions that this was not an accident, there are alot of people pissed off with the county and city councils in galway about the way they have run things over the last couple of years. They have been an absolute shambles.

your dead right, the concil are inefficent and waste my money, im pissed off about this so im going to blow up their building even though it will cost me a shed load more money to fix the building:rolleyes:

Dont think anyone is that stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 kruger248

Robbo wrote: »
    Is today "Funny" Friday?

Did you think that was inappropriate or just a bad joke?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

kruger248 wrote: »
    Did you think that was inappropriate or just a bad joke?
    I was wondering whether it could be blamed on the headshops or if Brush and crew would make an amusing ditty about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭fatguy2k1

fatguy2k1, I suggest that you wang a bloody great copyright notice on them pictures before some charlatan local news organisation steals them.
    no point really, the quality is terrible and the guy for the advertiser was up there with his telephoto lense and a tv3 cameraman was just arriving up as i was leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Sneak peek at whats going on in mill street right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

some pictures up on Galway Advertiser FB page
    Galway Advertiser Facebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

fifib wrote: »
    some pictures up on Galway Advertiser FB page
    Galway Advertiser Facebook

..and fatguy2k1's picture is there as well. Tut tut.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

[HTML]City Hall was expected to stay closed for the day as technical examinations continued in the five badly damaged offices which house the payroll department, while structural checks were also carried out inside the building.

Press Association[/HTML]

A little jobbery for somebody ..........

Did anybody find the cheque book ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Very similar, but isn't it taken with a different camera? Different tone.

If it is then Feckers!!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

inisboffin wrote: »

i think they mean this picture picture no.13
    yep same pic alright, they just chopped off the people on either side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

inisboffin wrote: »

I think it's the same. They just removed the Garda from the picture.

If that is fatguy2k1's picture and they didn't ask to use it I'm never ever ever buying the adverstiser again. (Yes I am aware it's free :D )
    Galway City Hall has been extensively damaged by an explosion, which occurred inside the building shortly before 8am.

Gardaí and City Council staff say the cause of the explosion has not yet been established, but the possibility of an exploding water boiler is being investigated.

Bord Gáis has said the building is not serviced by natural gas.

A number of windows were blown out and damage was caused to the ground floor of the College Road building.

About a dozen of the 200 city hall staff were in the building at the time but none were injured.

A spokesman for the City Council said the building will remain closed until a full investigation takes place.

Latest from RTE says that it may have been a water boiler.

Bet ya the county council fitted it !

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

joker.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Everybody has now gone home for the day bar security , they could not get in to park and they do not have to report to work if there is no free parking for them.

Majority park down a the greyhound track, reason there not allowed in, is in case there is a gas leak or something. I have family in there, so its all fun and games in here, but someone could have died today..

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

tred wrote: »
    Majority park down a the greyhound track, reason there not allowed in, is in case there is a gas leak or something. I have family in there, so its all fun and games in here, but someone could have died today..

I don't think anyone here would be making jokes if someone had been injured or killed. I can appreciate the worry when you hear that someone close to you is in danger but it's all over now and no one was hurt. Besides someone could have died all over the planet and in fact quite a few probably have. For all I know I could be dead before this post is written into the database! Hopefully I wont!

just saw that now - the cheek of them :mad:

someone else sent in the photo to them. who's the naughty bordie?:p i got a nice pm from the editor on facebook apoligising for the mix up. it's all cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

fatguy2k1 wrote: »
    someone else sent in the photo to them.

suuuuure they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Alright....Alright! It was me..... I got €10,000 and a new '10 Lexus for the scoop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I've some land you might be interested in buying............once the tide goes out, that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bord Gáis said the city hall was not served by natural gas, and that the explosion was “not natural gas-related”.

It is understood that investigations are focusing on the water heating systems in the building.

Gardai are NOT treating it as suspicious and do not suspect foul play.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0612/breaking83.html
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/13358-three-investigations-explosion-city-hall

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Eman Resu wrote: »
    I don't think anyone here would be making jokes if someone had been injured or killed.

The first joke appeared here at about 8:43, almost 30 minutes before someone posted that no one was injured. The poster may have heard on other media that it was confirmed no one was injured before then, but somehow I doubt it.

Actually, this whole thread is less than impressive.

There are council staff on the streets by 5am (maybe earlier), cleaning up the mess which Galway's "finest" citizens make overnight. Considering what they have to clean up, I think they make a damn good job of it - and you don't see them here slagging of at what messy pups ye all are.

I've recently been doing some temping for a government agency (not the council). While the focus on time keeping (clock-watching) isn't something I'm used to, they've been more organised, had ways to use all my time productively, and had more controls to stop me wasting work time (eg by posting to boards) than ANY private-sector organisation that I've worked for since I've been in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

JustMary wrote: »
    The first joke appeared here at about 8:43, almost 30 minutes before someone posted that no one was injured. The poster may have heard on other media that it was confirmed no one was injured before then, but somehow I doubt it.

Actually, this whole thread is less than impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭nachoman

Radon gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

JM the original post was at 8:40 around forty to fifty minutes after the event and you will notice the complete lack of mentioning ambulances. Also I work for an Irish company and they have employee internet access tied down tighter than a ducks backside, and I'm still trying to figure out why that's relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

There are council staff on the streets by 5am (maybe earlier), cleaning up the mess which Galway's "finest" citizens make overnight. Considering what they have to clean up, I think they make a damn good job of it - and you don't see them here slagging of at what messy pups ye all are.

Well put:). Most of the folk I hear slagging off the council etc. don't realise that a lot of their budget goes to....

Cleaning up after litter louts (see the Doughiska park thread).
    Fixing up vandalised Council homes after nasty tenants leave them in a mess (faeces on the wall anyone?).
    Replanting trees for the third time.
    Emptying public bins stuffed with private household waste.
    Defending lawsuits taken out against them for crooked curb stones by folk who just love falling about!!!.

To expand on that point....The amount of money wasted dealing with human beings acting like idiots make's me weep (80% of all cases that end up in court and hospital A&E are drink related).

Okay, sorry for the tangent, rant over:rolleyes:. You get my drift though...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The first joke appeared here at about 8:43, almost 30 minutes before someone posted that no one was injured.

That was my post where I said that the Tea Making equipment had exploded. I was proven entirely correct.

It is utterly impossible to injure city council staff in city hall at 8am because the office staff never go to work before 9am anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    That was my post where I said that the Tea Making equipment had exploded. I was proven entirely correct.

You seem to know an awful lot about exploding tea sets Spongebob. Can you account for your whereabouts on the morning of the explosion?
    It is utterly impossible to injure city council staff in city hall at 8am because the office staff never go to work before 9am anyway.

If at all...

The report will be allegedly with us shortly, with a whimper rather than a bang.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

The report will be allegedly with us shortly, with a whimper rather than a bang.

You could've posted this in a new thread, title gave me a bit of a fright!:D

Advertisement