Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't a clue, HELP!!!

• 11-06-2010 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all, I am 13wks preggers at the mo. We've gotten over the initial shock now and are really excited, have a scan on Tuesday and cant wait!!!!!:D:D:D
    One thing that is worrying me though is When should i tell my boss:confused::confused::confused:
    i started a new job in Feb and now over probation til 8th August?:eek:

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated thanks a mill xxx :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

I don't think you have to tell him until you want to or until it becomes pretty obvious, unless there are health and safety issues - i.e. if you worked with hazardous chemicals or if your work was of a very physical nature. In the UK you only legally have to notify after 25 weeks but I can't find anything on Ireland at the moment.

In any case there are very strong employment laws protecting you when pregnant so your boss really can't "let you go" just because you are pregnant, even if you are still on probation.

I would hold off on telling him for another while yet. As it is your first you probably won't start showing noticibly until 18-20 weeks (well I was around 17 weeks but I seem to show very early on my pregnancies).

I would give citizensinformation a call to get some advice so that you are armed with your rights when you tell him. You are in a strong position and it is very much in your interest to keep your job until you are eligible to go on maternity leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

go to citizen information centre and find out what are your rights..

I wouldn't wait, as you might experience some difficulties (pains, nausea etc) and they will be more aware. besided you can not work longer than 4hrs in front of computer while you pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 scaredmommy

oh i never knew about the 4hrs infront of computer thanks for that..... I work in a call centre tho id never be allowed get away with that:(:(:(
    i dont know much about it :o:o:o

i did tell them cause my partner works there too but in a different department and being all excited he told all his co workers :rolleyes:
    I thought i had better tell them as it would be better coming from me than through the grapevine

my team leader told me firstly that it wouldnt affect my probation but that she would have to tell my manager and HR which i was fine with but then she came back to me later and said they're gonna extend my probation which means i wont qualify for their maternity plan.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

think ill be taking yer advice and ringing citizens info in the morning before work. that doesnt seem fair :(

Thanks for yer help :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

maybe you don't qualify for their maternity scheme, but you will qualify for Social Welfare scheme, but go to them before you go on maternity:) I think it would be around 250 Euro a week (I think) go to citizen info centre and they will tell you how to apply and so on.
    know your rights, because SW are reluctant to help in many cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

ani_mal wrote: »
    besided you can not work longer than 4hrs in front of computer while you pregnant.

Do you have any evidence for this statement?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Tell them as late as possible. As soon as you do you will be written off. this is obviously not right but employers experiences with pregnant women are generally not good

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

You can work as normal with a computer when pregnant, in fact it's pretty cushy. It's way more difficult to be on your feet. Just be sure to take plenty of breaks (this won't be a problem later on as you'll be in the toilet all the time!)

You technically don't have to notify work until very near the end but it will probably be very obvious by then. Your boss cannot discriminate against you fir being pregnant, whether you're on probation or not.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

besided you can not work longer than 4hrs in front of computer while
    Do you have any evidence for this statement?

Yes, WHAT????

Advertisement