Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy HD video camera

Options
  • 11-06-2010 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct place to put this, mods feel free to move it.

Looking to purchase a high def video camera for my company ASAP.

Been doing some online research but not getting anywhere.

It'll be used for promotional material for our company's products. Not looking for something that shoots feature films (i.e. 100,000 euro worth), but definitely not looking for a home-videos camcorder either (1,000 euro range). We already have one on the lower end of the scale.
    Something in between or on the higher end of the scale should suit.

Anyone got any advice from personal experience or know any good websites/references where I can research further?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

The Sony EX3 is a decent camera.

Records to cards rather than tape. Can take 35mm lens with an adapter.

http://www.sony.ie/biz/view/ShowProduct.action?product=PMW-EX3&site=biz_en_IE

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

Thanks for your reply, Jeff.

That's actually exactly the model I've been reading up on, and recommended by others, so it's the leading runner at this time.

I have another question that someone here might be able to answer.

When it comes to editing this footage, we'll be working with an iMac.

We've encountered problems in the past with timecode. It's necessary for other members of staff to view the raw footage after it has been shot and use a timecode to pick out usable clips.

From what I know, Final Cut Express can't embed a timecode, or is this incorrect?

It seems like an awful lot of money to spend 999 Euro on Final Cut Studio when the only pro for us is the ability to burn in a timecode to make reviewing the RAW footage easier.

Is there any plugin or way to get a timecode into the raw footage that'll display on screen for review of footage? FC Express is easily in budget, so if it's possible to get timecode with this, we'll work with that.

Any info appreciated again, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭NealB

The EX camera range use 1/2 inch sensors (and lenses) which has its limitations in interiors with low key lighting. It is a compressed format, i.e. not full HD. Changing the lens won't make the sensor any better. It's a good camera and with a bit of practice can give good results. But you do have to push your light levels to compensate for the downside with the sensor size. It's worth thinking about what future uses the camera will have and aim for that if your budget allows.

I use a Sony 730s Full HD cam, it’s got the full 2/3 inch sensor which makes it excellent in low light. I am thinking of trading up, so if you're interested email me. The 730 shoots in US and European frame rates onto HD CAM tape. Being a high end pro-camera the user sets Time Code.

I'm not familiar with FC Express. I use FC Pro and Avid. The Camera sets the TC so that keeps workflows nice and easy.
    N

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sony.ap

true

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

The EX3 is a lot of camera for for this promotion type material.

Have a look at the panasonic HMC-150, great camera and very good value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭texanman

A lot of wedding videographers use the sony Z5
    Have a look at this review.
    http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/content/id/1220875360755?product=HVR-Z5E&category=HDVCamcorders&sectiontype=Product&preserveContext=true

Its an excellent camera

Advertisement