Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level History

• 11-06-2010 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Is anyone else disgusted at the lack of sample essays and notes on the internet on leaving cert history? And that revision books tend to go missing a few days before an exam when you really really need them? Mine is gone without a trace:mad: The course is long enough as it is

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

yeah and so far i only have my usa book learned of!!!
    i just need to read over the essays i have for the others but i have to study maths business and biology along with all them :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭lovelabel

Mwah wrote: »
    yeah and so far i only have my usa book learned of!!!
    i just need to read over the essays i have for the others but i have to study maths business and biology along with all them :'(

same here! and i have french the same day as history! soooo much study :(

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭brianw1

what essays are you guys going to learn for the european and irish section

everybody in my class is screwed for this exam:(

• Registered Users Posts: 35 yaknowamsayin

brianw1 wrote: »

For european I'm basically depending on Communism because the history guy on the radio said ''russia is too important to be ignored''. For the Irish section I'm just learning off the GAA and Cultural Nationalism, and Butt and Parnell and the Land War

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Xevkin

I'm doing everything up to after the National Coalition 1973-78 in the Irish section. If Haughey or EEC comues up I'm up s**t creek.

Move to Unity in Europe - Cold War up to Hungary Uprising, EEC, Western Economies up to Oil Crisis, Religion and Vatican Council........think that's enough?

For Dictatorship/Democracy, at least one question on Antisemitism/Holocaust, Church state relations, Hitler's foreign policy or Anglo/American culture - none of them have been asked. Got Hitler,Mussolini,Russia,Britain covered.

History is almost as bad as Poetry with the guessing element :/

• Advertisement

havnt done the same irish section as ye bahs but yeah, anglo american pop culture and anti semetism were the ones drilled into us

if they dont come up...

good lord

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cailin_donn

what I'm disgusted with is the lack of time in a history exam... recommended 40 mins to choose, plan and write a 5-6 page essay!!! its absaloutely crazy!! its supposed to be a test of knowledge and half the knowledge doesnt make it to the paper because of lack of time!! it wouldnt kill them to add 30 mins to the exam, it really is ridiculous. it puts students under so much pressure!

what I'm disgusted with is the lack of time in a history exam... recommended 40 mins to choose, plan and write a 5-6 page essay!!! its absaloutely crazy!! its supposed to be a test of knowledge and half the knowledge doesnt make it to the paper because of lack of time!! it wouldnt kill them to add 30 mins to the exam, it really is ridiculous. it puts students under so much pressure!
    Its not meant to be 5 or 6 pages, 4 pages is enough. About 900 words in total like:P

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cailin_donn

What???? :eek:

Our teacher had us doing 9 and 12 page ones, then she was like "Oh, try to aim for 5/6 pages"... and if we don't do that amount she doesnt give us high content marks, and shes an advising examiner! (My writing isnt huge either, just normal size)

:O:O:O you're kidding me :O
    I manage 3 pages max for an essay - intro/conclusion and 4 paragraphs in between. I physically can't write more in that time..............Am I screwed? I've been averaging 85/92 in my essays through the year, teacher says she marks hard, got 74 in mocks, highest in the class-we were told the teacher who corrected it was asked to mark very hard............but 5/6/9/12 pages...........!? :(

• Advertisement

Our teacher had us doing 9 and 12 page ones, then she was like "Oh, try to aim for 5/6 pages"... and if we don't do that amount she doesnt give us high content marks, and shes an advising examiner! (My writing isnt huge either, just normal size)
    Are ye well. Seriously that's way too much. If you try do that you'll just end up waffling and losing your focus. In the mocks I got 74 and I only wrote about two pages for each essay. That is one A4 back to back. The best one was 80/100 and that was only 3 and a half pages. The project should bump up the grade though and so will the document :D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭dodgystuff

I'm doing Hungarian Uprising, EEC and Vatican II and a read over fall of communism from division and realignment and praying at least one case study will come up there!

Dictorship/Democracy - anti semitism, alot of russia, characteristics of fascist regimes/dictatorships, mussolini and possibly church state relations even though i dislike it

Irish - just doing Cumman na nGaedhael and Fianna Fail I think. Something has to come up on one of them.

Praying to god it's either Sunningdale or Coleraine for the document

I dislike history :( I find it interesting but it's way too wide!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

3 pages is enough. Just don't waffle, stick to the facts, and structure paragraphs correctly. Opening, 4 long paragraphs and conclusion is the way to go.

9/12 pages scared the beejesus out of me :L

TOOO much free time

....4 paragraphs?

Wev been told 100 times to do 8 as its marked per paragraph..what the hell:o

....4 paragraphs?

12 marks for Intro/Conclusion (6 each)
    12 marks per paragraph for your best 4 paragraphs.
    40 marks overall evaluation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Don't worry,5-6 pages isn't necesarry and would be damn near impossible to do within 40 mins. I got an A2 in HL History last year and all my essays were between 3-4 pages.
    Its not meant to be 5 or 6 pages, 4 pages is enough. About 900 words in total like:P

+1

It's about quality, not quantity. As long as you express you're points in a concise and coherent manner you'll get the marks. Don't get caught up on certain paragraphs which you might feel you need to wright more info on. Remember, the max you can get is 12 marks per paragraph.
    ....4 paragraphs?

We were told this too, and I believe it is the correct approach as it allows you to express all the /most of the relevent info in the short period of time which you are allotted.

:confused:
    I viewed my script last year and it was not marked as such. I recieved all the marks that I was rewarded. I certaintly wasn't docked marks for writing too many paragraphs

Rothmans wrote: »
    Don't worry,5-6 pages isn't necesarry and would be damn near impossible to do within 40 mins. I got an A2 in HL History last year and all my essays were between 3-4 pages.

+1

It's about quality, not quantity. As long as you express you're points in a concise and coherent manner you'll get the marks. Don't get caught up on certain paragraphs which you might feel you need to wright more info on. Remember, the max you can get is 12 marks per paragraph.

We were told this too, and I believe it is the correct approach as it allows you to express all the /most of the relevent info in the short period of time which you are allotted.

:confused:
    I viewed my script last year and it was not marked as such. I recieved all the marks that I was rewarded. I certaintly wasn't docked marks for writing too many paragraphs
    That's just what we were told. Perhaps if you write more paragraphs they give less per paragraph?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭dodgystuff

Not necessarily 12 for intro/conclusion. In a couple of my essays I got about 6 for my intro and 9/10's for my conclusions

It is 12 marks per paragraph after that but not your best 4. You might write 6 paragraphs, let's say 3 are shorter and you get 7-9 for them and the other 3 are longer and you get more.

Sometimes its a good idea to split a point in 2 if it has a couple of parts. Like if you analyse one bit of info, try and get another paragraph with good analysis out of it even if it's small cause you could end up getting more. For example you might get 8 for the whole paragraph as one but you might get a 6 and a 4 if you split it.

Overall evaluation is 40 then.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fete

Xevkin wrote: »
    :O:O:O you're kidding me :O
    I manage 3 pages max for an essay - intro/conclusion and 4 paragraphs in between. I physically can't write more in that time..............Am I screwed?
    No you're not. I write between 2.5 and 3 pages and I got an A1 in the mocks. I know my teacher didn't mark it easy either. It's about quality not quantity. As long as you have a lot of relevant points of information in each paragraph, you should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

There is no set amount of paragraphs to be written for each essay in History. They will continue awarding you marks for every paragraph you write. A maximum of sixty marks are awarded for content, but, in fact, you can end up amassing more than sixty for what you have written. You won't be given any of these "extra" content marks, but it means your overall mark, which is out of forty, will tend to be higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 kfpt

12 marks a paragraph

have about 6 good paragraphs bout 2 1/2 pages

they'll mark your best 5 that = 60

then 40 for overall evaluation

just have 1 good and relevant point per paragrah develope it and your sorted!:cool:

and a good intro + conclusion

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

Yeah 3-4 pages is all I'd need and manage,
    Our history teacher is brilliant, and he says aim for six paragraphs. Four really isn't enough - unless you get really lucky but it's very unlikely you'll get 12 marks for every paragraph
    4 x 12 = 48
    6 x 9 = 54
    see the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

54 is under the sixty you need, you need to get around 65 or more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 cleirigh06

I cant wait for this exam. I know my history and I am an extremely fast writer. I wrote 29 pages (not big writing) on my English Paper Two and I am confident I will be able to do it here. I timed myself as in exam situations and I can write a 6 page answer in 30 minutes. I am sorted for this exam! A1 here I come!!

Keogg wrote: »
    Yeah 3-4 pages is all I'd need and manage,
    Our history teacher is brilliant, and he says aim for six paragraphs. Four really isn't enough - unless you get really lucky but it's very unlikely you'll get 12 marks for every paragraph
    4 x 12 = 48
    6 x 9 = 54
    see the difference?
    You forgot intro/conclusion is 12 marks too. That gives max marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MacSuibhne13

I'm looking forward to da history now! Was da only ting dat i got an A in in da Junior Cert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 kfpt

cleirigh06 wrote: »
    I cant wait for this exam. I know my history and I am an extremely fast writer. I wrote 29 pages (not big writing) on my English Paper Two and I am confident I will be able to do it here. I timed myself as in exam situations and I can write a 6 page answer in 30 minutes. I am sorted for this exam! A1 here I come!!

there are goin to be people who write less than half the amount that you and will and still get the same marks ...

you can only write so much on a topic without goin off the point or rambling on ....

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

You forgot intro/conclusion is 12 marks too. That gives max marks.
    I dont do very good intros/conclusions unfortunately, definitely wouldn't get 12 marks, 3 and 4 or something. How do you write a good conclusion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I'm terrified for history. I've really cut the course down. Scared with the poetry thing now even though I wasn't impacted, did Eliot but shook me a bit, thinking about same thing in history.

Sovereignty:
    • Cng
    • FF
    • 1916 and impacts
    • Treaty and civil war
    • Home rule crisis
    • Eucharistic and importance of religion & culture at the time

Dictatorship
    • Jarrow - social and economy between wars
    • Show trials and purges
    • Nazi propaganda and Nuremberg Rallies
    • Vichy
    • Weimer
    • Church state

Division and Realignment:
    • Vatican II
    • Hungarian uprising
    • Oil crisis
    • Fragmentation in Hungary, East Germany, Poland and Yugoslavia
    • Gorbachev, Stalin, Khrushchev and Brezhnev compare and contrast

This is all, really hope I can get questions that are answerable with this lot. :confused:

Advertisement