Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level History

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Sorry but everyone is wrong. They do not pick your best x paragraphs and mark each of them out of twelve. They mark EVERY paragraph you do out of 12 and add them all up. And introductions/conclusions are included in this. They are not a separate 12.

Ok I really don't think there's any point in me learning anything new, but I've covered:

Sov & Part
    • 1912 Home Rule Bill
    • 1916 Rising
    • Rise of SF/ 1918 elections
    • War of Independence/Treaty/Civil War (but not very well)
    • CnaG
    • FF
    • Anglo-Irish Relations
    • CnaG/FF economic policy (not very well either)
    • WW2 North & South

Dictatorship & Democracy
    • Mussolini (not very well)
    • Hitler- rise to power
    • Nazi State & propaganda
    • Hitler's foreign policy/steps to WW2
    • Russia- all of it: Lenin, Stalin, show trials, economic policy etc
    • WW2/Technology of warfare

USA & The World
    • All of US Foreign Policy (Vietnam & decline of Cold War especially)
    • Domestic Factors- McCarthyism/anti war movement (not very well)
    • Civil Rights Movement
    • Moon Landing/Improvements in technology

How does that sound? Everyone's throwing out predictions for stuff I haven't even done in class such as church-state relations & US economy, 'tis freaking me out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I've done:
    Dictatorship & Democracy:
    Lenin, Stalin, Show Trials- all of it.
    Britain & Germany in the inter war period.
    Technology of Warfare

Division & Realignment:
    Western & Eastern Economies post WW2
    Hungarian Uprising
    EEC and Unity stuff up to 1973
    Nuclear Power & Computers

Government, Economy & Society in ROI 1949-89:
    Lemass & First Programme for Econ. Exp.
    Jack Lynch
    First Inter Party Government

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

I reckon I'll be sorted with Dev's Anglo-Irish Relations 32-45, American Foreign Policy inc. Cold War and Vietnam, and Mussolini's Rise to and Consolodation of Power. Back up essays are Cumann na nGaeheal 23-32, Moon Landings/Technology, Hitler and Stalin Rise and Consolodation and Show Trials.

Victoria. wrote: »
    I'm terrified for history. I've really cut the course down. Scared with the poetry thing now even though I wasn't impacted, did Eliot but shook me a bit, thinking about same thing in history.

Sovereignty:
    • Cng
    • FF
    • 1916 and impacts
    • Treaty and civil war
    • Home rule crisis
    • Eucharistic and importance of religion & culture at the time

Dictatorship
    • Jarrow - social and economy between wars
    • Show trials and purges
    • Nazi propaganda and Nuremberg Rallies
    • Vichy
    • Weimer
    • Church state

Division and Realignment:
    • Vatican II
    • Hungarian uprising
    • Oil crisis
    • Fragmentation in Hungary, East Germany, Poland and Yugoslavia
    • Gorbachev, Stalin, Khrushchev and Brezhnev compare and contrast

This is all, really hope I can get questions that are answerable with this lot. :confused:

Jesus, you've done loads! You're making me worried that you're worried - I've done way way less! for D&D I'm doing the same as you but without Stalin and Vichy... But I went through the papers and I would've been covered every year. Let's just hope this isn't the year I'm not!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cweeva

Dictatorship & Democracy
    • Mussolini (not very well)
    • Hitler- rise to power
    • Nazi State & propaganda
    • Hitler's foreign policy/steps to WW2
    • Russia- all of it: Lenin, Stalin, show trials, economic policy etc
    • WW2/Technology of warfare

USA & The World
    • All of US Foreign Policy (Vietnam & decline of Cold War especially)
    • Domestic Factors- McCarthyism/anti war movement (not very well)
    • Civil Rights Movement
    • Moon Landing/Improvements in technology
    How does that sound? Everyone's throwing out predictions for stuff I haven't even done in class such as church-state relations & US economy, 'tis freaking me out!

I've done the exact same as you here bar Lenin and WW2/Technology of warfare.
    Exact same in USA aswell, and all the predictions about the economy and church state are freaking me out too!
    I'd say we should be covered, we have the case studies done anyway so there should be at least one! hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Skintwin

Well, I'm hoping to god that Mussolini'll come up.

But I'm going to learn

Irish:
    • Sinn Féin in the 1918 General Election
    • Cultural Identity North and South
    • Northern Ireland Essays (basically every possible one)
    • Cosgrave Governments establishing the Free State on firm foundations 1923 - 1932
    • The Eucharistic Congress

Dictatorship and Democracy:
    • Church State Relations in Germany and Italy
    • How Mussloini came to power and his greatest successes and failures in domestic policy
    • How Stalin transformed the USSR
    • The Show Trials
    • Impact of WWII on civilian population/economy/society of Britain and Germany
    • The Causes and Consequences of the Jarrow March
    • Characteristics of the Nazi state in Germany 1933 - 1939
    • Anti Semitism in Hitler's Germany

American
    • Mc Carthyism and the red scare
    • Race Relations
    • The Montgomery Bus Boycott
    • The Vietnam War
    • The Anti War Movement
    • The Moon Landing
    • Advances in IT
    • The causes behind the US economic boom up to 1968
    • The collapse of the US economy from 1989

And I think that's it!
    (Pending any "OH ****" moments in the next few days!)
    I should be covered, right? :confused:

cweeva wrote: »
    I've done the exact same as you here bar Lenin and WW2/Technology of warfare.
    Exact same in USA aswell, and all the predictions about the economy and church state are freaking me out too!
    I'd say we should be covered, we have the case studies done anyway so there should be at least one! hopefully!
    Fingers crossed, need to do well in History after my English didn't go so great :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cweeva

Fingers crossed, need to do well in History after my English didn't go so great :(

haha again, same as!! english and history are defintely my dodgiest subjects and i'm not happy with english so have to do well in history!

cweeva wrote: »
    haha again, same as!! english and history are defintely my dodgiest subjects and i'm not happy with english so have to do well in history!
    I'm usually pretty confident about English, but I messed up my comparative & unseen poetry...ah well, no point worrying about it now. Praying for a nice History paper!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

12 marks for Intro/Conclusion (6 each)
    12 marks per paragraph for your best 4 paragraphs.
    40 marks overall evaluation.

Eh, no its just out of 60. You can do as many paragraphs as you want. So you need about 8 paragraphs and the intro and conc also as they usually don't have many marks.
    They don't take your 4 best paragraphs. If you don't believe me check the marking schemes.
    But ya 40 marks for overall evaluation too.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭dodgystuff

Keogg wrote: »
    I dont do very good intros/conclusions unfortunately, definitely wouldn't get 12 marks, 3 and 4 or something. How do you write a good conclusion?

For a good conclusion you should keep one bit of information until the end that really shows the point you're trying to make, don't just repeat what you've already said. A statistic is always good if possible too.

I'm DREADING History. Honestly don't know what to do. I've too much going on next week I don't know how I'm going to cope :(

orlabobs wrote: »
    Eh, no its just out of 60. You can do as many paragraphs as you want. So you need about 8 paragraphs and the intro and conc also as they usually don't have many marks.
    They don't take your 4 best paragraphs. If you don't believe me check the marking schemes.
    But ya 40 marks for overall evaluation too.
    I already corrected myself in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Xevkin

Oh it seems 2 different teachers have told us untruths about the marking scheme.....
    :L >_<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Xevkin wrote: »
    Oh it seems 2 different teachers have told us untruths about the marking scheme.....
    :L >_<

Pistols a dawn I assume:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rockboysarewe

if you get 60/60 in the cumulative your guaranteed 33+ in the overall as long as you dont leave out vital parts

people put way too much emphasis on quality of writing in history

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Xevkin

Rothmans wrote: »
    Pistols a dawn I assume:p
    I'll be needing three bullets :p

if you get 60/60 in the cumulative your guaranteed 33+ in the overall as long as you dont leave out vital parts

Not necessarily, sometimes I get 60/60 but my teacher only gives me 28/40...:confused:

And so true. It really does not matter. It's not English!

zam wrote: »
    Not necessarily, sometimes I get 60/60 but my teacher only gives me 28/40...:confused:

And so true. It really does not matter. It's not English!

Yeah but your teacher isnt exactly gonna condone a crap answer, the examiner will be different. Your lucky ur teacher gives u a proper cumulative mark, mine just makes up numbers for both.

Xevkin wrote: »
    I'll be needing three bullets :p
    Killing Ms. Reen? You'll have to get through me first. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

Keogg wrote: »
    I dont do very good intros/conclusions unfortunately, definitely wouldn't get 12 marks, 3 and 4 or something. How do you write a good conclusion?

Don't worry too much about introductions and conclusions... they never give above like a six for opening paragraphs... just answer the question in both, keep them both short and move on! I often find a quote is a good way to open and close, it stops me panicking and wasting time in an exam trying to wrap up an essay or wonder how I'm supposed to start... it also looks good! :P

Also people are talking about the quality of writing etc. Basically you get your 40 marks for Overall Evaluation by writing a coherent essay that makes sense, but mainly for ANSWERING THE QUESTION. Cannot stress this enough! You need to constantly refer back to the question throughout your essay, especially around the middle... this is what separates the A student from the average student. Each paragraph should be making a new point, open each paragraph by refering to the question, and then at the end of the paragraph sum up how what you have just said is relevant to the question and why. E.g. if your essay is ''Attribute for the success of Sinn Fein in the 1918 Elections'' and you write a paragraph the German Plot, at the end of the pargraph you explain HOW - like, this generated sympathy for Sinn Fein, therefore winning more people over to their political beliefs as it was proved again that the British were unfair and untrustworthy; more people began to support the Republican manifesto of Sinn Fein and this coupled with the ''sympathy factor'' led to growing support, hugely contributing to their success in the 1918 Elections. At the VERY VERY least say ''the German Plot was an important factor in contributing to Sinn Fein's success in the 1918 Election'' at the end.

Good luck everybody! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

What???? :eek:

Our teacher had us doing 9 and 12 page ones, then she was like "Oh, try to aim for 5/6 pages"... and if we don't do that amount she doesnt give us high content marks, and shes an advising examiner! (My writing isnt huge either, just normal size)

Our bollock of a history teacher wouldn't give us a good mark if we wrote over 5 pages and he'd give us tests in class and we only got about 2 or 3 pages written in the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MarkDurc

reckon il b safe with this:

Sov and Par:

Anglo Irish Relations 1923-1945
    Eucharistic + Lan. Edu. Rel
    WW2 North and South + Belfast
    Treaty + Civil War
    and maybe Partition for backup

Dic and Dem:

Mussolini(to a tee)
    Stalin + Russia
    Hitler(rise to power, propaganda, characteristics of nazi state)
    Britain Soc/Eco problems

USA:

Montgomery
    US Foreign Policy(both periods)
    Vietnam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 fuzzel

on th topic of misinformation from history teachers, my teacher told me a load of what's being said in this paper so I emailed examinations.ie for clarification, here's the reply (It's written by the "Examination Assessment Manager for Leaving Certificate History")
    There is no upper limit of 6 marks for introductions and conclusions. We do have a limit of 4 for conclusions where they are brief and merely repeat material already given in the answer. In practice, many introductions and conclusions will merit no more than 6 marks, but this is a response to their content and reflects the examiner's view that as a paragraph they fall into the "good" category rather than the "very good" or "excellent" categories.

The cumulative mark (CM) are marks awarded for content presented in the essay. If a candidate writes fifteen paragraphs, all of which are judged by the examiner as "fair" and awarded 4 marks each, he will still have achieved the maximum CM of 60. It does not necessarily mean that he will then get a very high mark on OE. The examiner may decide that the overall quality of the whole answer is also "fair" and award no more than 21 of the 40 marks available here. Equally it may be that the examiner may see the overall quality in a higher category and give it more marks on OE.

There is nothing in the marking scheme to indicate that if a candidate does not get at least 6 on his introduction or conclusion that he will not be able to achieve the full mark on CM so his concern that a mark of 5 for an introduction and 5 for a conclusion would automatically reduce his highest CM to 58 is incorrect.
    You can hopefully tell what my query was :) Cause I'm too lazy to search my sent box for my original email.

Interesting, what's your source of information for this? Or is it just speculation as your teacher seems to be pretty crap, what with making up culmative marks and that.

fuzzel wrote: »

Interesting, what's your source of information for this? Or is it just speculation as your teacher seems to be pretty crap, what with making up culmative marks and that.

That wasnt my history teacher, it was a grind teacher in the Independent Academy, he's an examiner himself

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

Just had a thought, the 40th anniversary of the moon landing was in july last year. And as they do the papers in october, maybe the moon landing has a really good chance of making an appearance on our paper?
    It may be nothing but it is a thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

This exam has the ability to send me into a panic attack every single time. Christmas exams, summer exams, mocks. Cannot imagine what I'll be like on wednesday. Going to work so hard over the weekend.

orlabobs wrote: »
    Just had a thought, the 40th anniversary of the moon landing was in july last year. And as they do the papers in october, maybe the moon landing has a really good chance of making an appearance on our paper?
    It may be nothing but it is a thought?

Probably will come up anyway! Hasn't been up in a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 fuzzel

That wasnt my history teacher, it was a grind teacher in the Independent Academy, he's an examiner himself

Excellent :)
    So the best plan is just to write as many facts as is humanly possible in 40 minutes ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Agh. What are people studying for this today?
    I'm freaking out :confused::eek::confused:

I know nothing for dictatorship and democracy.
    Could I get away with...

1. Nuremberg Rallies and a bit about radio and film
    2. Jarrow and interwar period
    3. Stalin and totalitarianism
    4. Vichy
    5. Weimer
    Was going to do this lot today?

Advertisement