Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level History

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Victoria. wrote: »
    Agh. What are people studying for this today?
    I'm freaking out :confused::eek::confused:

I know nothing for dictatorship and democracy.
    Could I get away with...

1. Nuremberg Rallies and a bit about radio and film
    2. Jarrow and interwar period
    3. Stalin and totalitarianism
    4. Vichy
    5. Weimer
    Was going to do this lot today?
    I'd say yes. Jarrow, interwar and Communism should have you set ok. I'm taking today off though. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Steppes

I've had a part-time job correcting history essays this year. This is what my students have been learning for each (non-documents) module as far as I can remember:

Dictatorship and democracy:
    1. Vichy France
    2. Anglo-American Pop Culture
    3. Stalinism
    4. The initial success and eventual defeat of Nazi Germany in WWII

American history, post-WWII onwards:
    1. Vietnam
    2. Miscellaneous Cold War incidents - Cuban Missile Crisis, Berlin Blockade, McCarthyism and Vietnam might come up as a single question.
    3. The Affluent Society - American Pop Culture in the 1940s/1950s.

Irish History, 1914-1949:
    1. The Easter Rising
    2. The economic policies of Cumman na nGaedhael and Fianna Fail
    3. Eamon De Valera's contribution to Irish politics
    4. The key personalities - Collins (especially), Griffith, Markievicz.

I know there's more but I don't have the mock they did to hand. Any questions, ask me - I got an A1 in history and I'm pretty familiar with the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Steppes

EuropeanSon, I wouldn't say there's enough material on the Weimer Republic for a question since it's only mentioned as a contributing factor to the rise of fascism. The rise of fascism itself is definitely a hot topic that I forgot to mention, though, as is Mussolini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Steppes wrote: »
    EuropeanSon, I wouldn't say there's enough material on the Weimer Republic for a question since it's only mentioned as a contributing factor to the rise of fascism. The rise of fascism itself is definitely a hot topic that I forgot to mention, though, as is Mussolini.
    Weimar? I meant Britain. I've got everything on both in the interwar years learned, plus Lenin, Stalin, and the Show Trials. I also have tech of warfare, and Hitler's foreign policy just in case.

In Division and Realignment, I've got the EEC stuff up till 1973, Western & Eastern Economies post WW2, Hungary, and the Nuclear & Computers stuff.

In Ireland 49-89, I have Lemass, Lynch, First InterParty Gov, and RTE.

Do you reckon I'm covered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Tony1130

well i had a plan but i just couldnt follow it history cant stay in my head :(

.Irish:Home rule & the rising
    -War of independence , rise of SF and tht chapter
    -Eucharistic Congress
    -Anglo Irish Relations
    -Economic and social policy of FF n CnG ( FF economic war is part of anglo ir relations so it should be easy)

.dictatorship and democ:
    -Stalin and Lenin + show trials
    -Origins and growth of Facists etc..(including anti-semitism & church state relations)
    -Anglo-American pop culture ( I will cry if this comes up its tht easy)

Us:
    -Vietnam and foreign policy
    -domestic factors ( hopefully)
    -Space race and Space technology .. maybe military if i have time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Anti-Semitism, Nuremberg, Pop Culture, Show Trials, Jarrow, Church State Relations. Hopefully that'll do the oul trick

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Stevez

Steppes wrote: »
    I've had a part-time job correcting history essays this year. This is what my students have been learning for each (non-documents) module as far as I can remember:

Dictatorship and democracy:
    1. Vichy France
    2. Anglo-American Pop Culture
    3. Stalinism
    4. The initial success and eventual defeat of Nazi Germany in WWII

American history, post-WWII onwards:
    1. Vietnam
    2. Miscellaneous Cold War incidents - Cuban Missile Crisis, Berlin Blockade, McCarthyism and Vietnam might come up as a single question.
    3. The Affluent Society - American Pop Culture in the 1940s/1950s.

Irish History, 1914-1949:
    1. The Easter Rising
    2. The economic policies of Cumman na nGaedhael and Fianna Fail
    3. Eamon De Valera's contribution to Irish politics
    4. The key personalities - Collins (especially), Griffith, Markievicz.

I know there's more but I don't have the mock they did to hand. Any questions, ask me - I got an A1 in history and I'm pretty familiar with the exam.
    Thank you,some is finally talking sense..Im Aiming for an A1 in history as i got the highes in my class for the mocks..my teacher even agreed with my predictions even though everyone else thinks EVERYTHING can come up..! here's what i told him..
    Pursuit...
    1923-48 CnaG nd FF..know backwards and im sorted
    European
    Stalin and lenin..know backwards and im sorted
    USA
    Vietnam war..know everything around it

These are guranteed topics that they will not leave out..! if your goin to aim high in your L.C you have to take risks,i have french on the same day so i cant waste my time studying things that MIGHT come up..if you think im an idiot just studying these topics,fair enough but my teacher and I too would certainly be surprised if they were left out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ceol18

that IS risky...but makes sense somehow? i'm so bad at studying history, i start looking over a topic, realise how much else there is to learn and then switch to something else...again and again and again :/ so basically i know BITS of alot of things but not half enough to write a good essay on :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ceol18

also i find any topics to do with political shizz a complete PAIN and avoid them like the plague :/ they're just so DULL

Stevez wrote: »
    Thank you,some is finally talking sense..Im Aiming for an A1 in history as i got the highes in my class for the mocks..my teacher even agreed with my predictions even though everyone else thinks EVERYTHING can come up..! here's what i told him..
    Pursuit...
    European
    USA

These are guranteed topics that they will not leave out..! if your goin to aim high in your L.C you have to take risks,i have french on the same day so i cant waste my time studying things that MIGHT come up..if you think im an idiot just studying these topics,fair enough but my teacher and I too would certainly be surprised if they were left out?

Or if you're going to aim high in your LC it's wise not to take foolish risks. Think about how many people thought relying on Boland would get them through? I'm sure many of them were aiming high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Or if you're going to aim high in your LC it's wise not to take foolish risks. Think about how many people thought relying on Boland would get them through? I'm sure many of them were aiming high.
    How many essays do you have prepared? I'm assuming you're aiming high as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Pursuit...
    European
    USA

Why is Vietnam guaranteed? It's a case study. So, it has a 33% chance of coming up, if they ask a case study at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Tony1130

Pursuit...
    European
    USA

Why dont u just study what u said and 1 other chapter from each section such as the rising/eucharistic congress in Sov,Hitler + Mussolini ( fairly straight forward in Dic and in the Us do domestic/moon landings/civil rights

having 2 chapters could save ur ass especially if they ask a poor Q in relation 2 vietnam or sumtin

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Xevkin wrote: »
    I'm doing everything up to after the National Coalition 1973-78 in the Irish section. If Haughey or EEC comues up I'm up s**t creek.

Move to Unity in Europe - Cold War up to Hungary Uprising, EEC, Western Economies up to Oil Crisis, Religion and Vatican Council........think that's enough?

For Dictatorship/Democracy, at least one question on Antisemitism/Holocaust, Church state relations, Hitler's foreign policy or Anglo/American culture - none of them have been asked. Got Hitler,Mussolini,Russia,Britain covered.

History is almost as bad as Poetry with the guessing element :/

Have you got anything on hitlers foreign policy I could swipe? I have an essay written out but it's soooo long I don't even know how to begin go shorten it.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭lovelabel

That's just what we were told. Perhaps if you write more paragraphs they give less per paragraph?

yea they do they like join the paragraphs and mark them as one

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MarkDurc

if you get 60/60 in the cumulative your guaranteed 33+ in the overall as long as you dont leave out vital parts

people put way too much emphasis on quality of writing in history

Thats definitely true?

Lol I don't even know the marking scheme for history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Hellokarkar

I've done
    Amer:
    montgomery bus boycott
    korean and vietnam war
    moon landing

Europe:
    Hitler
    propganda and terror (dictators and fasist)
    eco lead to hitler and mussolini's rise to power
    Stalin and Lenin
    Jarrow march

Irish:
    FF and CnG (everything)
    Treaty
    NI eco and social 1920-49 (i think that's it)

for the case study: colerain and sunningdale (hate that though its my weakest)

I hope i'm covered but some people on here are so going to do well :) Teacher predicted: amer: vietnam europe: jarrow and nuerenberg rallies irish: something on CnG
    but you can never guess with these things..

I've done
    Amer:
    montgomery bus boycott
    korean and vietnam war
    moon landing

Europe:
    Hitler
    propganda and terror (dictators and fasist)
    eco lead to hitler and mussolini's rise to power
    Stalin and Lenin
    Jarrow march

Irish:
    FF and CnG (everything)
    Treaty
    NI eco and social 1920-49 (i think that's it)

for the case study: colerain and sunningdale (hate that though its my weakest)

I hope i'm covered but some people on here are so going to do well :) Teacher predicted: amer: vietnam europe: jarrow and nuerenberg rallies irish: something on CnG
    but you can never guess with these things..
    Do the Apprentice Boys too for goodness sake! It has the same chance to come up as the other two case studies, and if it comes up and you haven't done it you'll be screwed.

Do the Apprentice Boys too for goodness sake! It has the same chance to come up as the other two case studies, and if it comes up and you haven't done it you'll be screwed.

Oh sorry i mistyped i have that done too. i prefer colerain and apprentice boys i always get confused with all the politcal parties in sunningdale :(

• Advertisement

Oh sorry i mistyped i have that done too. i prefer colerain and apprentice boys i always get confused with all the politcal parties in sunningdale :(
    Haha ok I thought you were leaving it out, apologies for the panicked tone so :P

Yeah Colerain & App Boys are pretty handy. Hoping they don't ask context Qs that draw too much outside the case studies...

Haha ok I thought you were leaving it out, apologies for the panicked tone so :P

Yeah Colerain & App Boys are pretty handy. Hoping they don't ask context Qs that draw too much outside the case studies...

oh its fine honestly right now half awake half asleep haha
    they're really straight forward but sunningdale is like one party leads to two then all of a sudden its like 6 or 7? just have to look over it again

hateeee when they get sneaky like that haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BrenosBolts91

I got a B3 last year , repeating again this year , and am praying for a B2 . My friend forgot a whole essay last year , so please read the entire paper carefully!

I got a B3 last year , repeating again this year , and am praying for a B2 . My friend forgot a whole essay last year , so please read the entire paper carefully!
    best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

Pursuit...
    European
    USA

Tony1130 wrote: »
    Why dont u just study what u said and 1 other chapter from each section such as the rising/eucharistic congress in Sov,Hitler + Mussolini ( fairly straight forward in Dic and in the Us do domestic/moon landings/civil rights

having 2 chapters could save ur ass especially if they ask a poor Q in relation 2 vietnam or sumtin

I agree with Stevez's predictions, I'm hoping for these questions also. Cutting corners is just the nature of the beast with a subject like history!

I'd try and learn a little bit more for US though... like the three cold war crises and a bit on society, you're taking a bit of a risk there... if Vietnam does come up the case study might only be asked as part of a question aswell bear in mind. They like making the case study questions very difficult.

And in terms of DicDem... Russia has come up before as a question to do with WWII itself so it might only appear as that this year, like Battle of Stalingrad, role it played during the war etc. Doubtful they'll do that again. Last year it came up as a question involving dictatorships in general, but it was an ''and/or'' option. I'm hoping for Russia but I also learned Mussolini (for part of a general rise of fascism or church-state relations question), Nuremberg Rallies, and also Nazi Church-State Relations and the Holocaust which are two big tips.

Sovereignty and Partition... state-building/economic and social policy/ anglo-Irish relations are just 100% guaranteed :) LOVE these questions... they're so factual and straightforward that people tend to score ridiculously high A1's in them aswell. I learnt Rise of Sinn Fein aswell though, it's quick and easy and a handy back-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭dodgystuff

Was analysing the ole papers there.

Noticed Mussolini hasn't been asked on his own at all. I have a feeling he might come up on his own, then again I have a feeling about church state relations but I really don't wanna learn that :(

theowen wrote: »
    How many essays do you have prepared? I'm assuming you're aiming high as well?
    Sorry, just saw this. I was only aiming for a B1 but I kind of need to do as best I can after I was dissatisfied with my English Paper 2...

Anyway, I don't really learn by essays, I study chapters and know the facts etc. Obviously I have an inclination of the sort of questions that get asked on certain topics, but I don't learn off essays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BrenosBolts91

best of luck :)
    Cheers , Im aiming for a B2 average , hoping to do primary teaching ! I did a solid english and geo exam , but definatley no A's ! So , Irish , Hist and Bio are critical for me! :P

Ok guys does anti semitism go under same heading as facist regimes? I'm sure I heard it can come up another way.

I'm only learning EC, Belfast in WW2 and Easter Rising... **** it like I can't learn all of if at this stage so one of them better come up. I havnt even started studying those yet that's the beauty of it! I only know DD wellish 5 or 6 essays and USA I only have 4 prepared... I need a B...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Xevkin

Is anyone else doing the European Movement to Unity 1945-92 or Ireland 1945-92 topics? Didn't realise everyone was doing Home Rule and America.

Advertisement