Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level History

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Xevkin wrote: »
    Is anyone else doing the European Movement to Unity 1945-92 or Ireland 1945-92 topics? Didn't realise everyone was doing Home Rule and America.
    Ya I am. I'll be going over the formation off the eec. Hitler, Stalin, WW2 and Hungary and VC2. And for the Irish section, War of Indo, FF and Neutrality, and either CNG or 1916. Only doing sunningdale and coleraine. Apprentice boys is the worst possible topic to come up. Our book says absolutely nothing on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Slugs wrote: »
    Ya I am. I'll be going over the formation off the eec. Hitler, Stalin, WW2 and Hungary and VC2. And for the Irish section, War of Indo, FF and Neutrality, and either CNG or 1916. Only doing sunningdale and coleraine. Apprentice boys is the worst possible topic to come up. Our book says absolutely nothing on it.

That's what I'm doing but I'm doing Divisions and Realignment and Sovereignty? I'm so scared for history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Victoria. wrote: »
    That's what I'm doing but I'm doing Divisions and Realignment and Sovereignty? I'm so scared for history.

Me too. I feel sick thinking about it. I still haven't studied for it this weekend though :p Ugh, but at least once it's over the worst is over!

zam wrote: »
    Me too. I feel sick thinking about it. I still haven't studied for it this weekend though :p Ugh, but at least once it's over the worst is over!

I know after this all I have is biology and chemistry and I'm not nervous for those really. History is overwhelming and I haven't studied this weekend for it either. :(

I know after this all I have is biology and chemistry and I'm not nervous for those really. History is overwhelming and I haven't studied this weekend for it either. :(

It seems scary now and before every exam in history I can't seem to study and feel really nervous but it really is amazing what comes back to you once you're in the "hot seat"! Hopefully everything I've studied will come up! But if it doesn't, I heard a very inspiring story... Someone I know got 99% in her LC history and for one section she only learnt one topic inside out because she was convinced it would come up but then it didn't so she made a stab at another topic. And it all worked out okay for her! :P So we'll be fine!

• Advertisement

It seems scary now and before every exam in history I can't seem to study and feel really nervous but it really is amazing what comes back to you once you're in the "hot seat"! Hopefully everything I've studied will come up! But if it doesn't, I heard a very inspiring story... Someone I know got 99% in her LC history and for one section she only learnt one topic inside out because she was convinced it would come up but then it didn't so she made a stab at another topic. And it all worked out okay for her! :P So we'll be fine!

There's hope :pac:
    Yeh I'm just so nervous because our teacher told us what stuff would be on the mocks and I still only got a C1.

There's hope :pac:
    Yeh I'm just so nervous because our teacher told us what stuff would be on the mocks and I still only got a C1.

I really wouldn't worry! Mocks are marked really harshly to make you scared and work better, and history is corrected notoriously badly! We're grand!

I really wouldn't worry! Mocks are marked really harshly to make you scared and work better, and history is corrected notoriously badly! We're grand!

I hope so :)
    Better get off this anyway :pac:
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭brianw1

can somebody answer these few questions for me, much appreciated:D

1) Alot of people are goin on about pop culture coming up, I know the anglo american pop culture essay but im certain thats in the 1920s and 1930s

what would you basically put into a pop culture essay thats set around the 50s and 60s...or is this even possible to come up?

2) what does subjective and objective mean

3) I know cng ff, jarrow, rise of fascism, vietnam and 1918 GE. going to learn improvements in intechnology and anti semetism today

are there any other massivly tipped essays that i have left out?

ty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Eucharisitc/Irish language/Culture and Rise of the american economy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Emmpty

brianw1 wrote: »
    can somebody answer these few questions for me, much appreciated:D

1) Alot of people are goin on about pop culture coming up, I know the anglo american pop culture essay but im certain thats in the 1920s and 1930s

what would you basically put into a pop culture essay thats set around the 50s and 60s...or is this even possible to come up?

2) what does subjective and objective mean

3) I know cng ff, jarrow, rise of fascism, vietnam and 1918 GE. going to learn improvements in intechnology and anti semetism today

are there any other massivly tipped essays that i have left out?

ty

All my teachers have always told us to avoid social history like the plague. Thats probably not too helpful the day before the exam but one things for sure the Eucharistic Congress wasn't massively important then and its certainly not important enough now to get a good essay out of. Stick to the meatier topics.

Objective is a statement that is completely unbiased, Subjective is a statement that has been colored by the character of the speaker or writer, or so says the internet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Steppes

Weimar? I meant Britain. I've got everything on both in the interwar years learned, plus Lenin, Stalin, and the Show Trials. I also have tech of warfare, and Hitler's foreign policy just in case.

In Division and Realignment, I've got the EEC stuff up till 1973, Western & Eastern Economies post WW2, Hungary, and the Nuclear & Computers stuff.

In Ireland 49-89, I have Lemass, Lynch, First InterParty Gov, and RTE.

Do you reckon I'm covered?

I'd say you're covered for Dictatorship and Democracy. I'm sorry, but I can't help you with the other two modules since I've never done them before. Some general advice I would give is to concentrate on the case studies the night before the exam, since at least one usually comes up in each module.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Steppes

Or if you're going to aim high in your LC it's wise not to take foolish risks. Think about how many people thought relying on Boland would get them through? I'm sure many of them were aiming high.

Look, it's impossible to learn everything. I knew an awful lot more than I thought I did going into my Leaving Cert, despite my panicking, but I still concentrated on five or six topics in each module. I tried to learn everything but the pressure was too much; it's just not feasible.

Good luck to everyone here tomorrow, and remember that this exam is ultimately just an exam. Don't let it intimate you.

Does anyone know where I can get that grade breakdown thing for last year? The table with percentages of how many people got each grade in history in higher level? thanks if you do. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Skintwin

i was hoping that mine would have been marked ridiculously badly, however this was not the case, I am, at the very best a low B standard student, yet I got 95% in my pre......

I think I should be ok overall.....
    Irish:
    SinnFein and 1918 General Election ( my favourite)
    Northern Ireland chapters.

DicDem:
    Rise of Hitler
    Rise of Musolini
    Church State relations ( Germany and Italy)
    Stalin transforming Soviet union
    Mussolini's successes and failures in domestic policy
    Jarrow
    Characteristics of Nazi state 33 - 39
    Impact of WWII on Britain

America:
    Vietnam
    Race Realtions
    Moon Landing
    Information Technology
    Economic Boom
    Anti war movement
    Montgomery Bus Botcott

Will I be ok?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Skintwin wrote: »
    i was hoping that mine would have been marked ridiculously badly, however this was not the case, I am, at the very best a low B standard student, yet I got 95% in my pre......

I think I should be ok overall.....
    Irish:
    SinnFein and 1918 General Election ( my favourite)
    Northern Ireland chapters.

DicDem:
    Rise of Hitler
    Rise of Musolini
    Church State relations ( Germany and Italy)
    Stalin transforming Soviet union
    Mussolini's successes and failures in domestic policy
    Jarrow
    Characteristics of Nazi state 33 - 39
    Impact of WWII on Britain

America:
    Vietnam
    Race Realtions
    Moon Landing
    Information Technology
    Economic Boom
    Anti war movement
    Montgomery Bus Botcott

Will I be ok?:(

Yes. That's loads. I'm only doing 5 per book and 3 for sov and part.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 KandyVamp

Stevez wrote: »
    Thank you,some is finally talking sense..Im Aiming for an A1 in history as i got the highes in my class for the mocks..my teacher even agreed with my predictions even though everyone else thinks EVERYTHING can come up..! here's what i told him..
    Pursuit...
    1923-48 CnaG nd FF..know backwards and im sorted
    European
    Stalin and lenin..know backwards and im sorted
    USA
    Vietnam war..know everything around it

These are guranteed topics that they will not leave out..! if your goin to aim high in your L.C you have to take risks,i have french on the same day so i cant waste my time studying things that MIGHT come up..if you think im an idiot just studying these topics,fair enough but my teacher and I too would certainly be surprised if they were left out?

Funny, Vietnam didn't come up...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

KandyVamp wrote: »
    It did sort of if you chose the Lyndon Johnson question.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    It did sort of if you chose the Lyndon Johnson question.

Sort of, but you couldn't get a full question out of it... Not without knowing about the acts he passed and all that jazz because it was about successed and failures and vietnam was basically just a failure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Funny, I'm aiming high in my Leaving Cert and didn't feel the need to take risks like Stevez suggested...

• Advertisement

Funny, I'm aiming high in my Leaving Cert and didn't feel the need to take risks like Stevez suggested...

oh :P if it seemed like I took those risks I didn't :) I just remeber reading that comment and thinking it was crazy, I wrote about the economic boom YUS! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 yaknowamsayin

Funny..it actually did come up. Indirectly. Successes and failures of LBJ's presidency. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,118 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I screwed up bad:eek:

Funny..it actually did come up. Indirectly. Successes and failures of LBJ's presidency. :P

already been said :P and as I already said, vietnam was totes not enough for that question! so if it's all you studied, wouldn't have got ya far :P

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I screwed up bad:eek:

I'm sure it wasn't that bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

Vietnam was one of the only things I had time to learn for US... it was fine. Basically Vietnam WAS Lyndon B. Johnson's career; I wrote a paragraph about Great Society and his funding to NASA being the moderate domestic success he enjoyed and then focused on the fact that his political career ultimately failed because of the escalation of the conflict. The failures of his career completely outweighed the successes; when two things in a question come up like that you don't need to talk about them equally, just as long as you do talk about the two. So you would have been completely fine writing an essay about Vietnam, the case study itself officially mentions LBJ in the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 fuzzel

Never mind, found the history aftermath thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

Sort of, but you couldn't get a full question out of it... Not without knowing about the acts he passed and all that jazz because it was about successed and failures and vietnam was basically just a failure...

Thats pretty much all u have to do, you dont have to give equal attention to the topics!

Advertisement