Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL/Volunteering/Working in Japan/South Korea - Under 19, Without University Degree

Options
  • 11-06-2010 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Ok, so basically, after completing 1st year (Two-Subject Moderatorship) in TCD, I have decided to move to London to study the Japanese and Korean languages in SOAS (School of Oriental and African Studies). Unfortunately, having only decided to do so months after this year's application date, I have a "free" year between now and August/September 2011, when I will hopefully be starting there.

I was hoping to spend time between now and then Teaching English/Volunteering/Working in Japan or Korea, as it would look great in my application to SOAS, and, more importantly, would give me a head start learning one of the languages, and be a great life experience. However, the more research I do, the more it difficult it seems for students under 20/21, and (seemingly more importantly) those without a University Degree to do any of the above.

Can anyone provide me with advice/information?

Ideally I would be doing TEFL/Working, as it would provide an income while I stay over there. I also have an A1 in Higher Level Leaving Cert Japanese, but I'm pretty sure that counts for nothing in this case.

Many thanks in advance for any advice/information you could provide me with

EDIT: Mistake in the title. It shouldn't read "Under 19", as I am 19 years old. I meant to write "Under 21"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gerfitz2

I've been looking into this too and I found this website http://www.i-to-i.com/tefl/ I think if you had one of these courses behind you age wouldn't be an issue for you

• Registered Users Posts: 7 t.g.doran1

Thanks gerfitz2 for the reply,
    I've seen them too, and after looking at their site and talking to one of their advisors, it turns out that if I go through them for work in Japan, there's an age limit of 21 and a University degree is compulsory, while if I go through them for work in Korea there is no age limit, but the University degree is still compulsory.

They did say that if I did independent research I could find something that would work for me, and I've come across sites like 'Kansai Scene', 'Kansai Flea Market' and other classifieds, but that would mean leaving the process of finding work until I arrived in Japan, which I feel is a big risk, especially with the two disadvantages I already have (age + lack of degree)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gerfitz2

That's a pain... someone pointed me in the direction of this website - http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/korea/index.cgi?read=42709 again I don't know what the min requirement is in terms of age/quals might be for any of them but you never know... Good luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

Hi T.G.

Just a word of warning which may not be of relevence to your future plans. Be wary about spending alot of money and time doing i to i TEFLs. They may well be sufficient for the type of teaching that you want to do in Asia but they are NOT worth the paper that they are printed on if you ever want to use that qualification in Ireland and, i'd suspect, in the UK. I'm guessing that i to i TEFLs are priced from about €350 upwards? Go to acels.ie where you will find a long list of Irish schools that offer Dept of Education recognised TEFL courses. Granted these can be expensive but if it is a long term investment then I'd be careful about doing i to i. That said, I don't know if ACELS stipulate that you have to have a degree first. Check it out anyway. Hope all works out...sounds like a great adventure!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

To get a job to teach in Korea you need a school to employ you so you can get a visa. For them to be able to do so you will need the following:

A Bachelors degree
    Criminal background check
    Transcripts of your results for every year of your course
    Medical Check when you get here and a pre signed for before coming
    passport photos
    interview at the korean embassy
    There are some other things but what you don't have and what you do need is a bachelors degree so you can obtain an E2 visa (teacher/instructer's visa).

The only other visa you would qualify fo (assuming you aren't of Korean descent) would be a (D4 visa for those studying the language). If you were to get this visa you would have to be accepted on a course and you could then pick up some work doing private tutoring to koreans wanting to learn English.

This is legal for people on student visas as long as your university / tutors don't object.

The major downside of this is you will have to pay for your flights / accomodation / living expenses and obviously the course you are enrolled on. You will be able to make some money teaching, perhaps 30,000won per hour as a private tutor, although it may be hard to attract people without having an education built up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 t.g.doran1

Thanks again gerfitz, I came across that site myself, and as far as I can see, it's a possibility, although I have a feeling it's aimed at those with a degree etc.

Il Trap, thanks for the advice, I had come to the same conclusion myself, but seeing as I'm really interested in teaching only as a way to fund a stay abroad, and I can't really see myself living long term in either Ireland or the UK, the usefulness of a TEFL course in Ireland or the UK doesn't particularly bother me.
    Also, ACEL's are only useful in the UK/Ireland if you have a bachelor's degree, and so, they wouldn't be any more beneficial to me in the short term, but thanks for the warning anyway.

Cloneslad, thanks for the advice also. I've come to pretty much the same information you mention there (though with less detail), which is somewhat disappointing, but expected. I was only really looking to Korea as a second option after Japan, as I know some Japanese and virtually no Korean, but seeing as Korea seems to be just as strict about having university degrees etc. it seems unlikely I'll be going there, which is a shame.

If anyone knows of any scholarship/study programmes/volunteer opportunities in either country, I would greatly appreciate any information you could provide me with.
    Thanks again guys.

Advertisement