Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL/Volunteering/Working in Japan/South Korea - Under 19, Without University Degree

Options
  • 11-06-2010 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Ok, so basically, after completing 1st year (Two-Subject Moderatorship) in TCD, I have decided to move to London to study the Japanese and Korean languages in SOAS (School of Oriental and African Studies). Unfortunately, having only decided to do so months after this year's application date, I have a "free" year between now and August/September 2011, when I will hopefully be starting there.

I was hoping to spend time between now and then Teaching English/Volunteering/Working in Japan or Korea, as it would look great in my application to SOAS, and, more importantly, would give me a head start learning one of the languages, and be a great life experience. However, the more research I do, the more it difficult it seems for students under 20/21, and (seemingly more importantly) those without a University Degree to do any of the above.

Can anyone provide me with advice/information?

Ideally I would be doing TEFL/Working, as it would provide an income while I stay over there. I also have an A1 in Higher Level Leaving Cert Japanese, but I'm pretty sure that counts for nothing in this case.

Many thanks in advance for any advice/information you could provide me with.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I'm pretty sure it'd be next to impossible to get a TEFL job without a degree. Maybe you could look on one of the volunteering websites to see if you can find the name of a place you can work at? It's going to be tough given how advanced their economies are though.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

Working Holiday Visa - http://www.ie.emb-japan.go.jp/Working%20Holiday%20%28Info%29.htm

Better late than never I suppose :P

Advertisement