Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looping throught asp.net checkbox list

Options
  • 11-06-2010 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Am stuck on a problem,

I have a checkbox list where the user can check multiple options.
    I want to store these in the database, on separate rows in one column.
    I don't want to have to store them in one row like chk1;chk2;chk3.

I have the following but it's say object not referenced on the second line

For Each item As ListItem In CheckBoxList1.Items
    If item.Selected Then
    DS_CandidateSuitableRoles.InsertParameters("@Suitable_Roles_ID").DefaultValue = item.Value
    DS_CandidateSuitableRoles.Insert()
    End If
    Next

If I take out the loop and just to DS_CandidateSuitableRoles.Insert, it works, but obviously only inserts one checked item.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

Sorry, I meant to say, I do want them to be split out into one column, with a separator.

so if three items are checked, I need to have
    chk1;chk2;chk3

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Dim sb as new System.Text.Stringbuilder
    If item.Selected Then
       sb.append(item.Value & ";")
    End If
    Next

DS_CandidateSuitableRoles.InsertParameters("@Suitable_Roles_ID").DefaultValue = sb.tostring.trim(";")

edit - I'm using a stringbuilder simply because it's more efficient than using a string

mewso wrote: »
    Dim sb as new System.Text.Stringbuilder
    If item.Selected Then
    End If
    Next

DS_CandidateSuitableRoles.InsertParameters("@Suitable_Roles_ID").DefaultValue = sb.tostring.trim(";")

edit - I'm using a stringbuilder simply because it's more efficient than using a string

Thanks for that.

I tried it and am now getting an error on the following line.

NullReference exception was unhandled
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Dr.Silly wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

I tried it and am now getting an error on the following line.

NullReference exception was unhandled
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I just noticed that line is best as:-

DS_CandidateSuitableRoles.InsertParameters("@Suitable_Roles_ID").DefaultValue = sb.tostring.trim(";"c)

but is unlikely to be the problem. Something on that line is = nothing. Are you creating the stringbuilder before the loop begins?

mewso wrote: »
    I just noticed that line is best as:-

DS_CandidateSuitableRoles.InsertParameters("@Suitable_Roles_ID").DefaultValue = sb.tostring.trim(";"c)

but is unlikely to be the problem. Something on that line is = nothing. Are you creating the stringbuilder before the loop begins?

Hi,
    This is my complete code:

Protected Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Dim sb As New System.Text.StringBuilder
    If item.Selected Then
    End If
    Next

DS_CandidateSuitableRoles.InsertParameters("@Suitable_Roles_ID").DefaultValue = sb.ToString.Trim(";")

End Sub

• Advertisement

Hmm looks ok to me. Try breaking on that line and hovering over the objects to see which one is null.

ok, now heads wrecked :-)

I've changed it to use a stored procedure cause I thought it may have had something to do with the sqldatasource and multiple paramaters I was using.

Here it is again, complete code: ... It's working now, but it's only entering the first selected check box.
    But even if I do my stored procedure

exec s_insertCandidates 1,'1;2;3','test'

it's only inserting 1,1,test into the database, (The second column is a varchar).

Dim sb As New System.Text.StringBuilder
    If item.Selected Then
    End If
    Next
    Dim myconn As New SqlConnection
    myconn = New SqlConnection("server=(local); database= skillsDB;user id=sa;password=xxx")
    Dim cmd As New SqlCommand
    cmd = New SqlCommand("s_insertCandidates", myconn)
    cmd.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure
    myconn.Open()
    cmd.Parameters.Add("@Candidate_ID", SqlDbType.Int).Value = Session("Candidate_ID")
    cmd.Parameters.Add("@Suitable_Roles_ID", SqlDbType.VarChar).Value = sb.ToString.Trim(";")
    cmd.Parameters.Add("@notes", SqlDbType.VarChar).Value = txtSuitableNotes.Text
    cmd.ExecuteNonQuery()
    myconn.Close()

Try a comma instead of ; since ; is a statement terminator in sql it might be having some strange effect.

tried that also but didn't work,
    ended up getting it working this way, thank you for your help also.

Dim insertCommand As SqlCommand
    Dim strConnection As String = "Data Source=(local);Initial Catalog=skillsdb;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=sa;Password=xxx"
    Dim objConnection As New SqlConnection(strConnection)

objConnection.Open()
    Dim ctr As Integer
    Dim str As String
    For ctr = 0 To CheckBoxList1.Items.Count - 1
    If CheckBoxList1.Items(ctr).Selected Then
    str = "Insert into candidate_suitable_rolesTBL (candidate_id,suitable_roles_id) VALUES ('" & Session("Candidate_ID") & "','" & CheckBoxList1.Items(ctr).Value & "')"
    insertCommand = New SqlCommand(str, objConnection)
    insertCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
    End If
    Next
    objConnection.Close()
    objConnection.Dispose()
    objConnection = Nothing

Advertisement