Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

18-11-2009 in Paris - Today's the Day it Hurts Most

• 11-06-2010 11:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭

......I don't know about anyone else, but I'm consoling myself by telling myself that without the Henry incident, the game would have stayed 1-1 until the end and we'd have lost on the penalty shoot-out (which is not a complete lottery despite what many people say).

I'm gonna go against the grain here and say that I'd like France to do well. Because if they flop (which I think is very likely by the way), it will just be another bit of ammo for people who like to devalue the Irish team's performances in the qualifiers to use....like how when we were drawn with Italy, Bulgaria and Cyprus again, they wrote us off....but when we went through the group unbeaten and should have won against Italy twice, it was suddenly the easist qualiying group in the world.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Laois_Man wrote: »
    ......I don't know about anyone else, but I'm consoling myself by telling myself that without the Henry incident, the game would have stayed 1-1 until the end and we'd have lost on the penalty shoot-out (which is not a complete lottery despite what many people say).

I'm gonna go against the grain here and say that I'd like France to do well. Because if they flop (which I think is very likely by the way), it will just be another bit of ammo for people who like to devalue the Irish team's performances in the qualifiers to use....like how when we were drawn with Italy, Bulgaria and Cyprus again, they wrote us off....but when we went through the group unbeaten and should have won against Italy twice, it was suddenly the easist qualiying group in the world.

May not be the most popular thing to say but I think that France were going to score anyway. You can't be sure though.

On the flip side of that France flopping = Ireland devalued argument, if France do well then you'll always get some eejits saying 'That would have been us!'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

let it go Man FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

It wasn't the easiest qualifying group and anyone who suggests it is not the full shilling. Bulgaria went into meltdown after the Italy home match, while Montenegro were far from bottom seeds, Cyprus has become one of the toughest places to go in European football, and we had the World Champions who had to qualify for the first time. Sure it wasn't pretty the game we played, but when you drop to a 25 year low as we had under Staunton, nothing is easy. We were undefeated in the group. One of only 6 (I'm pretty sure) teams to do that in the qualifying stages.
    The Netherlands group easily takes that title while the German group wouldn't have had me ****ting myself either.

We were poor for 45 mins against the French (2nd half Dublin) out of 210. As we all know the team should have won the match outright, and had we beaten them 2-0 or even 3-0 in Paris, it wouldn't have been unsuprising given how well we played.
    Now time to stop worrying about the past, or worrying about other teams, it's time to keep the mouth shut, put the shoulder to the wheel and win our Euro group and make it to Ukraine and Poland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ive always fancied Fench teams on the International scene and this year is going to be no different.

I was unlucky lucky enough to be in Paris that night and at the game.

Id like France to do well but I dont think they will, they have a very tough group IMO.

I think its gone on so long now at this stage id like to forget it and start planning for the Euro's 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

1463 days until Brazil 2014

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If the Brits were going on in the fashion that we do about France, we'd be complaining that they "never shut up about it".

I don't want them to do badly either. I don't really mind how they did before and that won't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Can we just not move on ffs...who knows what would have happened if that handball hadn't of happened. The game was in extra-time, neither side was ahead in the tie before that incident occurred.

Just stop being bitter and move on. Sometimes life things happen and you just have to move on.

11th June 2010 is a great day for the continent of Africa and the South African nation. The world is their's for the next month, looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

let it go Man FFS

Well, you already knew what was in the thread and you still opened it....just to moan! :rolleyes:

By the way, this is the first time I have ever posted about the Henry incident on here - and what I wrote was 90% about how I want France to do and how it will be used for/against Ireland in future debate - but it seems you have nothing intelligent to say about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

we'd have lost on the penalty shoot-out (which is not a complete lottery despite what many people say).
    It's not? So we'd have won on peno's for sure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The time to move on from this has passed a long long time ago.

I am actually embarrassed by the whole anti France thing still going on. Appeals to the worst type of tabloid readers.

• Advertisement

We are becoming a little nation of bitter people lads I have to say. It's controversial but this goes way beyond football.

5ForKeeps wrote: »
    We are becoming a little nation of bitter people lads I have to say. It's controversial but this goes way beyond football.
    Schillachi '90. One day, I'll get that b*stard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

The hand bothered me at the time but TBH i knew it was all over when McShane stepped on the field... and sure enough.

Savman wrote: »
    It's not? So we'd have won on peno's for sure?

I said I think we'd probably have lost!

Where's the bitterness in the thread?

gimmick wrote: »
    The time to move on from this has passed a long long time ago.

I am actually embarrassed by the whole anti France thing still going on. Appeals to the worst type of tabloid readers.

Again, where the anti-France sentiment in this thread?

I said I think we'd probably have lost!
    So who cares then! Henry is a pox, but the truth of the matter is football is better served with the best players at the World Cup. France will do the competition more justice than Ireland.

Our luck was cursed when we drew them, pushing them as far as we did was a bonus.

Theirry Henry is not the reason Ireland are not in South Africa.
    Ireland are the reason Ireland are not in South Africa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Give it a rest, we have no one to blame but ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Thats a little unfair on the OP to be honest, after all he stated in his original post that he wanted France to do well.

That said, coming from a forum where the terms "barstooler" and "bandwagon" are thrown about willy-nilly i find it quite amusing that people are derided feeling a little put out and hurt by the fact that today is the start of a World Cup, and thought of "what could have been" are running through their heads.

Football is a passionate game, and while some of the tabloid and even government carry on after the France game where extremely embarrassing, i think it is a little unfair to have a go at the average fan for hurting.
    If it was a perfectly legal goal, people would be hurting. Surely that hurt is amplified when it is a widely accepted fact, that it wasnt a perfectly legal goal?

I havnt really commented on it on this forum because i dont support the irish national side, however i know if it was to happen to any of the teams i do support, club or country, then i would be feeling a little down about it all knowing that the team who gained from that referee's mistake where lining up in the games biggest event this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Won't someone think of the children or the Mods?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

It's interesting because I reckon if the Henry incident had of happened in the Premier League to one of the big clubs,supporters of that big club,who post on the internet,would still be going on about it and allowed to for years to come

Now it seems,any mention of the Henry incident is mocked with OP's told to get over it etc. for fear of the rest of Irish supoorters looking like whingers and moaners in the eyes of other countries footballing fans!?

I much would have rathered to be watching Ireland in the WC (and more then likely would have been going) but I will enjoy it none the less.

Hurry up 3pm!

Eirebear wrote: »
    Thats a little unfair on the OP to be honest, after all he stated in his original post that he wanted France to do well.

That said, coming from a forum where the terms "barstooler" and "bandwagon" are thrown about willy-nilly i find it quite amusing that people are derided feeling a little put out and hurt by the fact that today is the start of a World Cup, and thought of "what could have been" are running through their heads.

Football is a passionate game, and while some of the tabloid and even government carry on after the France game where extremely embarrassing, i think it is a little unfair to have a go at the average fan for hurting.
    If it was a perfectly legal goal, people would be hurting. Surely that hurt is amplified when it is a widely accepted fact, that it wasnt a perfectly legal goal?

I havnt really commented on it on this forum because i dont support the irish national side, however i know if it was to happen to any of the teams i do support, club or country, then i would be feeling a little down about it all knowing that the team who gained from that referee's mistake where lining up in the games biggest event this evening.

Why thank you!

It's good to see a higer level of comprehension here sometimes - and the odd person who doesn't allow what they've heard/read some people say to colour their understanding of what a different person says.

Not to mention the fact that, as I said the thread is mainly about how France's performance will impact on debate about Irealand and about Trapp's performance as manager. Only you have so many people running away with their own pre-conceptions of the thread, they haven't even seen that - never mind addressed it!

Where's the bitterness in the thread?

Not directed at you or anyone just saying in general with their ABF shirts and all that ****e...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

becoming?

we were always bitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I dont care how well they do.

Today is kinda hard. I would love to have somethin gbig to look forward to. I maintain that if we were in the group which the French find themselves in we might well be on our way to the second round.

Het-Field wrote: »
    I dont care how well they do.

Today is kinda hard. I would love to have somethin gbig to look forward to. I maintain that if we were in the group which the French find themselves in we might well be on our way to the second round.

Shhhh....you're not allowed to say today is hard....coz you'll be likened to people who moan for years....even though today is....well.....today! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Nice thread - i was expecting a lot more rancour to be honest

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

While i can see the OP is being very decent i think its time to move forward, not forget but i'm sick of the 'free pints/pizza' for every goal scored against france. We're better than that.

I remember a champions league game where Scholes had a perfect goal ruled out for offside and it's stuck with me. But you have to move on, i'm all for change in the game with technology etc but as it stands you have to take the rough with the smooth.

Advertisement