Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would like to start fishing

Options
  • 11-06-2010 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Well, since like most everyone else here, I am without a job, or any real activities to occupy my time, I feel maybe i should learn how to catch fish.

Now i have never fished before, I don't know abut rods, about different types of fish, different types of bait, or even how to gut a fish. i am a complete novice. I live in south Dublin, so places to fish would be the DOdder and Dunlaoghaire Pier i guess.

Can you advise me? What do i need to get started? is it even possible to learn from the net?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Its such an open ended question OP its hard to know how to start.... have a look here for starters

Learning how

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭whitesands

Well I might be able to help on the south dublin part, I've only started to river fish (yesterday to be exact) but I've fished off the south coast of Dublin plenty of times.

The dodder & sea fishing are completely different & require different setups. Dun Laoghaire pier for example, you'll need a decent rod & reel to pull the fish up onto the pier. You can use bait like lug or rag off the pier or you can spin for mackerel using feathers.
    You could try coliemore in dalkey if your driving, you can park right beside the pier, I wouldn't bother with bait down here though, if you let the hook hit the ground you usually get snagged, in saying that though, it's very deep water & a good setup will have the line back in before it gets near the bottom.

If your going to invest a few quid you need to decide where you want to fish first, saltwater or freshwater, a good beachcaster & reel will set you up for nearly any saltwater fishing, except boats.
    As for boats, you can rent them out for €20 an hour down in Bulloch harbour near dalkey, he rents out fishing tackle aswell I think, plenty of fish up around dalkey island.

Advertisement