Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jones Road Methodist Church

• 11-06-2010 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭

I took a look at the old Methodist Church on Jones road a few weeks ago. Seeing as yesterday turned out sunny in the afternoon I took a spin over with my camera. The church was partially demolished illegally in 2008.

Flickr link

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Great set, some excellent shots in there. Forgot the church was still there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

nice shots. looks like an amazing space - what are they doing with it - making it back into a church?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I remember the story you linked too pretty well, I used to deliver Chinese to that area and stopped to take pictures one time, this was my early days and the pics were poo.

/edit

God I hate flickr, so awkward to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I've just been reading up on it the past couple of days. It wasn't a listed building but as it was greater than 100 sq. metres they needed planning permission to demolish it. They would have gotten permission but weren't bothered applying. The were told to reinstate the building and railings but the date it was supposed to be done was somewhere in 2009. They are currently awaiting permission to demolish it entirely.

that seems like an awful waste :(

• Advertisement

artyeva wrote: »
    that seems like an awful waste :(
    I guess some people only care about money. It would be great if somewhere like that could be turned into apartments but the original features kept. That would cost considerably more and also yield less profit. I guess it's planning regulations and laws that need to be looked at and changed.

i was thinking more a public building - for use by the local community. that's just the geurrilla artist in me. make into a gallery/meeting place for local groups. that's what i would do if i ran the world :D

I think it would be good to have both. Isn't there tax breaks now for investors leasing to artists? Dude I know is setting up some new studio in Smithfield that takes advantage of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Effects wrote: »
    It wasn't a listed building but as it was greater than 100 sq. metres they needed planning permission to demolish it.
    i would assume there are more conditions than that; my house is not a listed building, and it's less than 100sqm, but i don't think i'd be allowed demolish it without permission.

I'm guessing you don't live in an industrial building magic bastarder?

A notice ordering the cessation of the demolition of the former Methodist Church and schoolhouse at Jones's Road was issued on Tuesday night following complaints from local residents that demolition had begun.

The enforcement notice requires the owner of the structure to cease further demolition, to reinstate parts of the building that were demolished "by April 14th, 2009" and to reinstate the cast-iron front boundary railings.

John Reilly, buildings inspector with the council, said yesterday that despite the notice being issued, "apparently at about 6am this morning, the front of the building was attacked with a JCB. It is now unsafe and the priority has to be to make it safe, which will probably mean taking it down piece by piece".

The Garda was called to the site twice on Tuesday night as attempts were apparently under way to begin demolition. There was concern last night the building would be a safety hazard as crowds passed it on their way to last night's international soccer match at neighbouring Croke Park.

Mr Reilly said the structure was not a listed building, but since new rules were introduced in June, permission was required to demolish an industrial building greater than 100sq m. The building is about 400sq m. It dates back to 1881 and until a fortnight ago, was used as a leather-furniture salesroom.

He said planning permission for its demolition probably would have been granted, but an attempt had clearly been made to circumvent the process.

• Advertisement
Advertisement