Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England -v- USA, Sat 7:30PM RTE & ITV HD

• 11-06-2010 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭

a99.jpg
    England -v- United States
    Match 5 - Group C
    Rustenburg - Royal Bafokeng Stadium
    Saturday 12 June, 2010
    7:30pm RTE & ITV HD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

We have it in the bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Go on Obama's barmy army

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Going for Rob Green in goal.

Reckon Ledley King will partner Terry.

Barry looks certain to miss out.

Will Crouch get the nod up front with Rooney ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Heskey up front with Rooney maybe.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Heskey up front with Rooney maybe.

I heard numerous outlets yesterday saying Capello might go with a five man midfield and leave Rooney up top on his own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Too soon! :(

redout wrote: »
    I heard numerous outlets yesterday saying Capello might go with a five man midfield and leave Rooney up top on his own.

I've heard Capello might go with 3 at the back! The BBC quoted him as a possibility.

Also maybe playing Gerrard up front behind Rooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I have a 3MB broadband connection, could I stream HD television fluently?

CorkMan wrote: »
    I have a 3MB broadband connection, could I stream HD television fluently?

Pickup a freesat box and you can watch the whole World Cup in HD for free if you already have a Sky dish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Lads, USA may miss the first game!

ATT15753096.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dunphy really talking up England's chances. Reckons that Spain are the only team that can beat them.

Not so sure about that.

Haha brilliant !!! Anyone watching RTE ?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Dunphy really talking up England's chances. Reckons that Spain are the only team that can beat them.

Not so sure about that.

Load of ****e, what I expect from Dunphy. Im actually worried about a lot of aspects of this WC for us but im just going to enjoy it (obviously until we get knocked out on penos). Summer footie ftw!

rarnes1 wrote: »

Not so sure about that.

Sure RTE HAVE to talk up Englands chances. They're the only full squad of players they have any knowledge about ffs! What finally pushed me over the edge with that miserable panel was their pre match coverage of the CL semi final. Bill asked Giles and Dunphy what they thought about Lyon and their chances of winning were. To paraphrase Giles "I actually can't really comment Bill as I've only seen them play once and don't know much about them".

Wft? Dunphy's reply was along the same lines. Lazy, ignorant group who have no knowledge of the world game. Souness and Trevor Stevens are the only ones I have time for on RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Fizman wrote: »
    What finally pushed me over the edge with that miserable panel was their pre match coverage of the CL semi final. Bill asked Giles and Dunphy what they thought about Lyon and their chances of winning were. To paraphrase Giles "I actually can't really comment Bill as I've only seen them play once and don't know much about them".

I actually like the RTE punditry just for the sheer entertainment value, but I agree with your point. Considering they're being well paid the least you'd expect is that they do a bit of research on the teams that are playing.

I think the US will put it up to England, they've got some decent players.

Certainties to start would be Terry, A Cole, Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney. Most other positions are up for grabs.

I'd go with James, G Johnson, King, Lennon, and J Cole to fill 5 of the other 6 spots.

Then it's a matter of whether he plays a second striker up with Rooney, or goes with an extra holding midfielder. I think it's more likely he'll play a holding midfielder, and leave Rooney up on his own with Lennon and J Cole out wide and Gerrard getting forward in support aswell. Jamie Carragher could come into the reckoning for the holding midfield role that Capello seems to favour.

So my team

James

Johnson
    Terry
    King
    A Cole

Carragher

Lampard
    Gerrard

--Lennon
    J Cole

Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'd like to see England do well overall but I'll be up for the USA in this game.

Doooonnnnoooooovvvvaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannn!

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Jamie Carragher could come into the reckoning for the holding midfield role that Capello seems to favour.

What the hell has drawn you to this conclusion? If it is to be a midfield 5 I think its pretty much nailed on that with Barry out Carrick would be the one who starts (not that his justified selection). Carragher is not suited to that role at all, positionally he's not used to it and I could see him getting caught out a lot + his passing isnt too clever either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

My guess at the USA lineup:

Howard
    Cherundolo-Onyewu-Demerit-Bocanegra
    Dempsey-Bradley-Edu-Donovan
    Altidore-Buddle

Another option would be to put Holden on the right side of midfield and push Dempsey closer to Altidore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

USA have to score first, or they will lose!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

We will win I reckon. Rooney doesn't stand a chance against us!

Ah no I hope we can get a draw! 1-1 me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Would really hope to beat the US and make sure we start this tournament strong. Won't be an easy game by any means though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

USA, USA!*

* In Orlando at the mo with American friends, otherwise would be entirely neutral :pac:

USA, USA!*

* In Orlando at the mo with American friends, otherwise would be entirely neutral :pac:

Show off :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Im going for 1-1 here. Hopefully its an entertaining game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Let's go USA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

I reckon this could be a close game. I'd go for England to edge it 2-1 but a repeat performance of the carry on against Japan last Sunday week and England will be in trouble. I think both these teams will qualify for the knock out stages regardless of the result tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

hogan_guitar.gif
    JOZYYYYYYYYYYYY1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Do it for Charlie Davies

91896447.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Bring it on Lloyd!

TheUltimateWarrior.gif

Couldn't find a suitable gif for England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Whatchya going to do England when the USA run wild on you

(na come on England)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'll be avoiding ITV like the plauge for this one. I'd like England to do well but their media/coverage annoys me.

That_Guy wrote: »
    I'll be avoiding ITV like the plauge for this one. I'd like England to do well but their media/coverage annoys me.

in fairness all home nations coverage is bad when the home nation plays, RTE commentary is very annoying when Ireland play.

Would have thought BBC would have had this match, wonder if rte will have the first team panel for this match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

OPENROAD wrote: »
    in fairness all home nations coverage is bad when the home nation plays, RTE commentary is very annoying when Ireland play.

Would have thought BBC would have had this match, wonder if rte will have the first team panel for this match.

True that actually. Commentary especially now that I think about it.

Yep first team panel is on. Remember Bill saying "join myself and the rest of the panel at this time tomorrow for the England V USA game"

Yep first team panel is on. Remember Bill saying "join myself and the rest of the panel at this time tomorrow for the England V USA game"

Good stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

The USA are very athletic and will put it up to them but my moneys on England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

If USA score first and hold on for a draw its curtains for this england team.
    This English team has had ten years to get its act together and this time around they have the weakest back four in comparrison to the last 3 world cups.
    I fully expect an implusion of epic proportions.
    Also reckon all is not well in the england camp, the Terry fiasco has done alot of damage. We havent heard all the shenanigans.
    Pressure seems to be gettin to Capello. its sad really that the media have so much say/influence offer England. They really cant see that the the levels of expectations
    they create actually work against them. If they didnt have this pressure and actually got behind their team they would have done so much better in years gone by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I'll be belatedly celebrating my birthday watching this with a few bottles so all I'm hoping for is a good game. I'd like to see England go far in the tournament so I'd probably prefer them to get the win.

It'll be interesting to see if Capello goes for Green or Hart in goal. I'm assuming King will get the nod alongside Terry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

USA USA!!! Missus is a yank, the baby is half yank*, and I'm Irish. Bit of a slam dunk decision really :D

Ah, I'd like to see England go far, in fairness. Perhaps not as far as winning it, but I've nothing against them. Still want USA to win tonight though.

*Not that either of them give a fcuk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

That's the thing is'nt it. I remember when i was living in NY in 1998 and cheering when a young Micheal Owen scored that great goal verus Argentina. I wanted England to do well but as soon as i moved back here all that changed and i realise why, it's because i can't stand to listen to the pundits and the media in general go on about England/3 lions/66 and it drives me mad. It's the arrogance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Potential for England to get the fright of their lives here (which may be the best thing for them in the longer term)

I can see the US going for it in the first 20 mins and wreaking havoc on the England defence. If they can score early on I think England are in big trouble.

Can see this being a draw or a win for the US. There would be a backlash in the press but it would take the pressure off and even if they lost I could see them win the remaining games and have a chance of topping the group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Should be a good game, but I can see the skill of the major England players making the difference.
    Not looking forward to the bloody Vuzulas or whatever you call them. They are destroying the atmosphere at matches by drowning out the crowd. Not a good addition to the tournament I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I think the US will be the surprise package of the World Cup .

Watch this space .....

No they won't, thats Serbia (if they can be considered a dark horse) Anyway to the "haters", just feck off to RTE and dont watch BRITISH/ENGLISH media, if you watch foreign sports on foreign stations you get all you deserve frankly!

I have a feeling the US will avoid defeat here. So much so I put a few quid on a tidy double of Uruguay and USA NOT to lose, so half way there to a good opening weekend!

I think USA are going to start better than England, and can see Eng getting a little bit flustered in the first 10-15 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

mike65 wrote: »
    No they won't, thats Serbia (if they can be considered a dark horse) Anyway to the "haters", just feck off to RTE and dont watch BRITISH/ENGLISH media, if you watch foreign sports on foreign stations you get all you deserve frankly!

:rolleyes:
    Boards.co.uk that way --->

Kev_ps3

kiss_lips1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

mike65 wrote: »
    Kev_ps3

kiss_lips1.jpg

images?q=tbn%3ATA2rGFbHllQmlM%3A%3As281.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fkk226%2Fryecatcher_photo%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3Dfather-ted-

Down with that sort of thing !

• Advertisement
Advertisement