Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England -v- USA, Sat 7:30PM RTE & ITV HD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Hansen said it yesterday "if England cant win this group then they shouldnt be here"

This group along with Holland and Spain must be the easiest to predict a winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

England's performance in this group will inform us as to whether they are genuine contenders or not.

The other teams in the group would suggest that England could pull off a 3/3. However, if they manage to achieve two wins and a draw it would be credible and they would enter the second stage with confidence high. Anything less would be a massive blow. Draws or defeats to the likes of Slovenia and Algeria are unthinkable, while the US would not be in the same bracket as the top teams at this World Cup.

For the first time in many years, I refuse to rank England amongst the contenders. Without Capello's guidence the squad is very limited, and many of these players have been found out on the European and International Stage before. Lampard and Gerard are incompatable, the striking options range from the sublime to the ridiculous, and they have one goalkeeping option who fnished in the top half of the Premiership last term. Players like Carragher, Johnson, and Matthew Upson have not enjoyed good seasons, while Ledley King has been struggling for fitness, and has not been training. Gareth Barry's participation in the tournament is also up for consideration. Furthermore, the likes of Joe Cole are still dealing with contractual issues, and will certainly be mindful of the importance of putting himself in the shop window.

The fact that Capello returned to Carragher, and sought to coax Paul Scholes out of retirement suggests that he doesnt believe in this team. It was reminiscent of the time Kevin Keegan brought Stuart Pearce, Teddy Sheringham, and Ian Wright back into the team in 1999. It was a moral sapper, and displayed a severe lack of faith in the existing options.

England have some good players. However, they have no strength in depth. Players like Green, Upson,James,Crouch, Heskey, Dawson, Warnock, Wright Phillips, and Carrick would not be guaranteed places on other "World Cup Planes", and some wouldnt even be considered good enough to be shortlisted.

Im not doubting that England could pull something out of the back, I also believe Capello is the man to lead them. However, I dont think they will do much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

johnson has had a very good season, only marred by injuries to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mr Alan wrote: »
    johnson has had a very good season, only marred by injuries to be honest.
    Defensively suspect.

if by that you mean he made a couple of mistakes throughout the season, yea you're right. but that's kinda to be expected of every defender.

Het-Field wrote: »
    England's performance in this group will inform us as to whether they are genuine contenders or not.

The other teams in the group would suggest that England could pull off a 3/3. However, if they manage to achieve two wins and a draw it would be credible and they would enter the second stage with confidence high. Anything less would be a massive blow. Draws or defeats to the likes of Slovenia and Algeria are unthinkable, while the US would not be in the same bracket as the top teams at this World Cup.

For the first time in many years, I refuse to rank England amongst the contenders. Without Capello's guidence the squad is very limited, and many of these players have been found out on the European and International Stage before. Lampard and Gerard are incompatable, the striking options range from the sublime to the ridiculous, and they have one goalkeeping option who fnished in the top half of the Premiership last term. Players like Carragher, Johnson, and Matthew Upson have not enjoyed good seasons, while Ledley King has been struggling for fitness, and has not been training. Gareth Barry's participation in the tournament is also up for consideration. Furthermore, the likes of Joe Cole are still dealing with contractual issues, and will certainly be mindful of the importance of putting himself in the shop window.

The fact that Capello returned to Carragher, and sought to coax Paul Scholes out of retirement suggests that he doesnt believe in this team. It was reminiscent of the time Kevin Keegan brought Stuart Pearce, Teddy Sheringham, and Ian Wright back into the team in 1999. It was a moral sapper, and displayed a severe lack of faith in the existing options.

England have some good players. However, they have no strength in depth. Players like Green, Upson,James,Crouch, Heskey, Dawson, Warnock, Wright Phillips, and Carrick would not be guaranteed places on other "World Cup Planes", and some wouldnt even be considered good enough to be shortlisted.

Im not doubting that England could pull something out of the back, I also believe Capello is the man to lead them. However, I dont think they will do much.

I dont believe England have a hope to be honest.

Semi-Final is actually realistic though as I think they have been given a kind route to get that far.

if by that you mean he made a couple of mistakes throughout the season, yea you're right. but that's kinda to be expected of every defender.

No, I mean he's defensively suspect.

Excellent coming forward, absolutely no doubt about that, but combined with a slow centre back pairing, and Johnson beside them, I can see teams getting a lot of joy down England's left and cutting in.

We'll see though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

redout wrote: »
    I dont believe England have a hope to be honest.

Semi-Final is actually realistic though as I think they have been given a kind route to get that far.

If you make the semis you have a hope

he's actually been defensively sound for us to be honest. and he plays on the right handsome x

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    If you make the semis you have a hope

No because I reckon once they play a big team that are decent (very likely in the semi) they will be easily found out. Their route to the semi doesnt see them really meet a good team as I expect Argentina to avoid them as group winners.

he's actually been defensively sound for us to be honest. and he plays on the right handsome x

Which is why if he plays on the left, they'd be exposed. Do keep up.

you think England would have a zero % chance against a decent team? that's a little wacky

Des wrote: »
    Which is why if he plays on the left, they'd be exposed. Do keep up.
    They're planning on playing him on the left?! I'm confused.

you think England would have a zero % chance against a decent team? that's a little wacky

Any time they have played good team in recent years have they actually beaten any including friendlies ?

I can think of Portugal, Holland, Spain and Brazil in recent years were they couldnt defeat any of them.

Any time they have played good team in recent years have they actually beaten any including friendlies ?

I can think of Portugal, Holland, Spain and Brazil in recent years were they couldnt defeat any of them.
    So yo are saying zero %. You crazy.

• Advertisement

So yo are saying zero %. You crazy.

I wouldnt say 0% as a game between two teams you always have a chance but they will find it difficult would be my guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Go Team Bridge USA!

you are criminally underrating England brother.

Des wrote: »
    you are criminally underrating England brother.

I do not believe so. In this tournament I reckon Netherlands or Brazil will meet England in the semi should they in fact make it that far. I reckon both would beat England. I think the Dutch could even defeat Brazil in the quarters as I believe they have a better attack and could outscore them. They could possibly meet France in the quarters but I dont consider them a good side and England should have too much for them. Time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

It could happen again...

I'm gonna lump some cash on a 2-2 though. Englands results in opening games traditionally isnt the best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The guy who scored for the "USA! USA! USA!" in 1950 was ethnic Puerto Rican and they have a Puerto born player this time. So lightening could strike twice. Or the player may never get on the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

I'm gonna go with a 2-2 draw....Look out for Edson Buddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I fancy England to struggle tonight and i like the sound of the 2-2 draw. But as always England then come on strong and then compete and become very entertaining in these competitions. I would like to see some of the new boys get the chance and shine like they do for their clubs, especially the likes of King, Lennon etc. Englands Defence and goalkeeping worries me, but its England we are talking about and you never know how they will perform! Look at their qualifying, shocking displays against the minows and then superb against the likes of Croatia!

The USA are a handy well prepared team with great team spirit which counts for loads.

Australia are my dark horse for this competion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

mike65 wrote: »
    The guy who scored for the "USA! USA! USA!" in 1950 was ethnic Puerto Rican and they have a Puerto born player this time.
    You mean Haitian.

I am certain England will win this match.

Perhaps not comfortably but they are good enough to get the 3pts.

What England really need is for Rooney to get on the score sheet to get him in the mood early on in the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Na Sassanach are in for a tough time tonight. Hopefully, the Yanks can do a job on them! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Im gonna go for 0-0.

Hopefully wrong tho and that it will be a very entertaining game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

2-1 England I'm thinkin, but the winner may come very late!

BBC saying the rumour is Green in goal and Milner on the left instead of Cole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Come in England!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I think this will be the most exciting game so far, or least i'm hoping it will be.

The England players will have only found out a while ago who was starting, i think the start they make will decide this game.

The longer it goes without England scoring, or the longer they take to "settle in" the higher the chance of an upset will be.

I can't see them not conceding based on what i have seen in the build up to the tournment, and if they can't hold onto the ball better and pass the ball better they will struggle.

The U.S have the players to cause them trouble, I think a lot will depend on what system is being set up for Rooney. On the BBC yesterday he told Shearer he would prefer to play up front on his own. As good as he is at doing this with United, it is a different kettle of fish with England. I can see him getting frustrated the less of the ball he gets, leading him to drop deeper and deeper, this is what the U.S.A will want to happen.

I still think England have enough to win by 2, i'm going with 3-1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Official England Team

Green

Johnson Terry King Cole

Lennon Lampard Gerrard Milner

Rooney Heskey

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

2-0 England, easy enough..

Archimedes wrote: »
    Official England Team

Green

Johnson Terry King Cole

Lennon Lampard Gerrard Milner

Rooney Heskey

Link ?

BBC have a team up but not confirmed.

Link ?

BBC have a team up but not confirmed.

That's what all the journo's are tweeting (I only follow the reliable ones ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Who sits deeper of Lampard and Gerrard in that formation? PP have a decent money-back special on goalscorer bets if Rooney scores and I was going to punt for Lampard but now I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Surprised to see Terry as right cb thought king would be.

ITV confirm it.

Delighted for Green.

EDIT: ITV said this is the first ever time this 11 has played together :eek:

Not sure if it is only because on King or not but if not then thats odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Joe Hart has looked the better keeper, but it will be very interesting to see how Green performs!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

So friggin' excited for this game!!

93725388.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Green
    Johnson
    Terry
    King
    Cole
    Lampard
    Gerrard
    Milner
    Lennon
    Heskey
    Rooney

Sky news...

Heskey? I know he does the donkey work etc but Crouch is a much better option and scores for fun for England.

7 goals in 58 versus 21 goals in 38 ??

I know who I'd choose.

Looking forward to seeing more of Onyewu. He was imperious in the Confederations Cup. Top bloke considering the whole contract situation at Milan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I'm sure they just got 11 names and nothing else.

• Advertisement

I just threw up the names, didn't put any central players in their particular position. Most people will know where they'll play anyway.

Ah cool thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Heskey first goal :eek:,Rooney 2 more

England 3 USA 1

Come on England................................

What are the odds on heskey to score first/any time? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Green leaked goals like a sieve all season for the Hammers. That won't do his confidence a lot of good. Ergo, probably should have picked Hart.

• Advertisement
Advertisement