Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And for our Geog peeps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2010/LC005ALP000EV.pdf

the correct question is there, it says any region you have studied, dosent specify, so the gaeltacht is rite yeh? just double checking

it better be ! i did that too.. waffled a load because thats one part i didnt study properly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Cipango

I was suprised seeing Haiti on the paper!

Thought they were made last summer or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭aoife365

Wasnt too bad! Hated the question on culture!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭klose

PlayGirl wrote: »
    it better be ! i did that too.. waffled a load because thats one part i didnt study properly :(

i just wrote about irish language decline due to famine,english rule,english language of media said how culture is essential talk how its making a come bakc, government grants for gaeltacthts etc...hope thats what they wanted, i knew they wanted the belgium answer but never learned that in much detail haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 xemmsx

aww regional was a beauty today.. paris and then for the culture question i did india! I couldnt have asked for anything else...

but the physcial was a disaster... metamorphic rocks??? i nearly fell off my chair!!! :eek::eek:
    i left out 30 marker question because i could bearly find anything to do in the physical section.. so sad :(

biome was grand once you did the main characteristics and just mentioned that climate has affect on them you'll get the marks... thats what my teacher said anyways! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Heaso77

Did anyone do South West USA for the culture Question in regional?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

You could have done the Gaeltacht.

I did Geo-ecology question on the biome. Happy enough. Got 4pages.
    I did the physical one with the thing about Haiti, Dam and karst underground landform or what ever it was.. I did a cave anyway..

Regional I did Tertiary in Italy which I more or less made up because I didnt know it..
    and Culture in Belgium.. language barrier etc..

Urban I did Traffic Congestion in Dublin and problems in Calcutta..
    you know for drawing the sketch map of the arial photo in that question.. Did you just have to do it the same size as the picture? I didnt know if you had to make it a smaller size.. I kept it the same as the actual photo..

Then the short answer q's which were really rushed as I left them to last..
    Odd question on something about "what micro organisims do fish eat"? ehhh what? :L
    I guessed plankton? I have no idea. :L

Wasnt too bad.. lots of people I know found it challenging though

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

Lawliet wrote: »
    The only part that really got me was the question on tertiary activities in a European region; why did they have to specify only one tertiary activity?QUOTE]

I answered this question on two activities as I misread the question!
    I know that I will only be marked on one of my activities but I was wondering can I lose marks for misreading the question? and will they mark both my activities and just pick the best one?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

I hate geography. Thought the paper was ok but then again it's not like it was going to be hard, it was really just the luck of the draw of what essays you learned and stuff. I wasn't so lucky but oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

Cipango wrote: »
    I was suprised seeing Haiti on the paper!

Thought they were made last summer or something.

Yeah, so much for them setting it and not changing it :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

dyeti wrote: »
    That was probably the easiest exam I'll ever do in my life :D Looking at a high B/A!

Sadly this optimism was killed when I flunked my (PASS!) Maths 2 hours later :(

That's exactly the way I feel th maths brought me down from heaven to earth.
    The geo was easy I struggled with the drawin as I cudnt draw.
    I did all short que except 1
    I did que 3 4 & 7 and 13 on global interdependence.

My glbal interdependence was risky coz the question said for envoironmental consequences I broke mine into 3. Global warming desertification and deforestation.
    If all goes well B1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Algae !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I answered this question on two activities as I misread the question!
    I know that I will only be marked on one of my activities but I was wondering can I lose marks for misreading the question? and will they mark both my activities and just pick the best one?
    I believe they mark both and then go with the highest, I can't see them docking you marks for writing about two.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Started with the short questions and was really pleased :)
    Calmed me down a bit.

Then I did regional geography.
    Question with sketch map of Ireland, tourism in Paris and culture in India.
    Didn't really struggle with these too much.

Then for human I did the graph, changes in migration in Ireland in last 100 years and historic settlement. Was grand.

For physical I was not pleased.
    Metamorphic rocks :( what??? Stopped me from doing another question I really wanted to do. Was leaving physical til the end because I knew I would be tired and it's kind of a security blanket. Had to do the one with Haiti, did humans and dams which was fine. Then went onto the last bit and you had to do an underground feature in a karst region. I had only studied swallow hole so I couldn't use that. Had to do a load of rubbish about a cave. By far the most disappointing section.

Was happy with the biome.
    Did characteristics of a biome focusing on climate. Basically just did characteristics of a biome but mentioned climate every now and then and said that's why things have adapted in that way.

Overall pleased but was so disappointed with physical.

Algae !!

oops I said plankton

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

Plankton is correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

Plankton is correct
    Yep.

Anyone else think the Biome question was pretty handy?

Lads, WTF is a Biome?! I did the Culture option and all i've seen on here in the past week is feckin' Biomes, what is it? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

Ah its piss easy...

A region of the Earth that is characterised by distinct Climate, soils, etc...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I did short questions. They were longer than normal but overall fine. I said plankton by the way.

I then did climate influence characteristics of biome - and I just wrote the Characteristics of the Desert biome, mentioning how soil, animals and vegetation has been influenced by climate (which is what the whole desert biome characteristics are about anyway).
    I then did regions, tertiary (Paris Basin) and culture (Belgium)
    I then did Traffic Congestion and urban growth leading to problems (Sao Paulo)
    I then did Folding and Rock Cycle.

Overall I was very happy with the exam. My Folding answer was very waffle-y and very badly structured but overall, I can't complain.

Thanks to DancingQueen who gave me great advice on how to cut down the amount to study for the Regional Section - her advise worked out excellently! Thanks! :D

• Advertisement

Plankton is correct

Yay :)
    Thought it was but then someone said algae and I was having second thoughts. Algae aren't miro-organisms though they're plants. Plankton would be? I'm so tired zzzzzz

Plankton was the right answer, that's all you need to know :P

Plankton was the right answer, that's all you need to know :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭FordieMUFC

Short questions were fine... hopefully 75+ in them!
    Physical was ok... I just think my map was dodgy.
    Regional was ok too, Q4 on culture in a sub continental was perfect for india i thought.
    Elective was pretty tough tbh.
    Essay on Biomes characteristics was piss, just reitirated my essay from the pre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Happy with that paper. Got the Biome question I wanted, Short questions were handy, Regional, Physical and Economic had a nice balance of questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

took me about 10 minutes to find that mast on the map....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭FordieMUFC

I can see why people were upset with the physical question on Metamorphic rocks. That's definitely one of the first times I've seen them asf for Metamorphic rocks, usually they ask Any type of rock too!
    I just said about thermal and regional metamorphism, examples of it, uses of one of them, and a definition of metamorphic rocks.
    Hopefully i get 23/24 out of it. Compared to other rock questions I usually get 28/29 out of 30 it just seemed to lack something :(

Culture in India was dodgy too, but supposedly I did everything right, I discussed language, population, religion and the caste system in india so couldn't have been too bad.
    Although the historic settlements was ****. Haven't looked at that kind of stuff since 3rd year :(:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

took me about 10 minutes to find that mast on the map....

Same I was expecting it to be around the town. I didn't find something to do with a walk or something that was in the same question. I spotted it after but too late then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 leavingcert92

i saw mast and walkway in the short Q's and i was like WTF?! :eek:

then i looked at the legend......:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dyeti

For this question:
    C. Developing World Cities
    ‘Problems can develop as urban centres expand and grow.’
    Discuss this statement with reference to one developing world city that you have studied.

Could I have written about Rio de Janeiro and the favella problem??
    Or was that wrong? :(

Nope that's right :) well at least I hope so anyways :)

What about if you said Sao Paulo? I said Sao Paulo :D

Advertisement