Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And for our Geog peeps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Ha yeh the walkway was strange, thought I had a major problem when i didn't know what to do :pac: that's what stress does. Oh and I had my face on the page looking for that hidden mast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Anyone know what they were looking for in the Sub-Continental Region Q?
    Absolutely fúcked that one!

C. Agriculture Describe and explain any two factors that influence the development of agriculture in a
    non-European Continental / Sub-Continental Region that you have studied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭emmacxxx

Im really worried about my geoecology question..i answered the one about how climate influences the characteristics of a biome and basically i did the cool temperate biome and had 3 headings which were: climate, vegetation and soils and in the vegetation i mentioned a lot about trees and plants adapting to the climate and all! does ANYONE know if thats in any way ok!? please say yes cos im completely freaking out over this! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭FordieMUFC

Which one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭FordieMUFC

emmacxxx wrote: »
    Im really worried about my geoecology question..i answered the one about how climate influences the characteristics of a biome and basically i did the cool temperate biome and had 3 headings which were: climate, vegetation and soils and in the vegetation i mentioned a lot about trees and plants adapting to the climate and all! does ANYONE know if thats in any way ok!? please say yes cos im completely freaking out over this! :(
    That's exactly how you were meant to do it (At least that's how I gathered it)
    To clear things up!

A BIOME IS A MAJOR WORLD REGION WHICH IS DEFINED BY CHARACTERISTICS SUCH AS CLIMATE, SOIL, VERGETATION, PLANT AND ANIMAL LIFE. ALL OF THESE ASPECTS OF A BIOME ARE INTER-RELATED.

By mentioning the climate you have to mention how the other aspects of it have developed to cater for the climate. Because climate influences soil, which in turn influences plant and animal life etc...

Did anyone do the economic elective question..the one with ordance survey where ur asked the impacts of globalisation on a developing country...yeah so basically i didnt have a clue what to do so jst wrote about colonialism in brazil and how global impacts and stuff has helped it to develop! anyone know if dats write/wrong?

FordieMUFC wrote: »
    That's exactly how you were meant to do it (At least that's how I gathered it)
    To clear things up!

A BIOME IS A MAJOR WORLD REGION WHICH IS DEFINED BY CHARACTERISTICS SUCH AS CLIMATE, SOIL, VERGETATION, PLANT AND ANIMAL LIFE. ALL OF THESE ASPECTS OF A BIOME ARE INTER-RELATED.

By mentioning the climate you have to mention how the other aspects of it have developed to cater for the climate. Because climate influences soil, which in turn influences plant and animal life etc...

woo p-h-e-w!!! thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

emmacxxx wrote: »
    Did anyone do the economic elective question..the one with ordance survey where ur asked the impacts of globalisation on a developing country...yeah so basically i didnt have a clue what to do so jst wrote about colonialism in brazil and how global impacts and stuff has helped it to develop! anyone know if dats write/wrong?

I did that question because I saw globalisation and thought it was to discuss it in realition to a MNC you have studied. Realised it wasn't when I had already done A and B. Hadn't ever done that question before and wrote the exact same thing you did there and waffled about creating employment etc. I'll be lucky if I get the 30 but I think that's roughly what we were supposed to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shelly911

im completely gutted..i got carried away and lost track of time spent an hour and 15 minutes on the biome and so i didnt ave time to do three 30 mark questions on the rest of the paper..:(:(really wanted a high ''b'' too ,cus the questions i did do i ws extremely happy with them..bt i guess thats nt gna happen!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Victoria. wrote: »
    C. Agriculture Describe and explain any two factors that influence the development of agriculture in a
    non-European Continental / Sub-Continental Region that you have studied.
    I wrote down climate as one and drainage as another but i assume they wanted more than physical factors!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Cipango

I answered this question on two activities as I misread the question!
    I know that I will only be marked on one of my activities but I was wondering can I lose marks for misreading the question? and will they mark both my activities and just pick the best one?[/QUOTE]

Yeah i was the same, but i had PLENTY to ramble on about with tourism in Paris and kinda brought in my transport sayin it was easy for tourists to get to the region!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Yep.

Anyone else think the Biome question was pretty handy?
    Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 student12876

i misread the physical question on karst region
    i didnt notic underground feature
    nd wrote out swallow hole answer
    will i get no marks?:(

shelly911 wrote: »
    im completely gutted..i got carried away and lost track of time spent an hour and 15 minutes on the biome and so i didnt ave time to do three 30 mark questions on the rest of the paper..:(:(really wanted a high ''b'' too ,cus the questions i did do i ws extremely happy with them..bt i guess thats nt gna happen!!
    TIME MANAGEMENT! is very important in LC exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭stevenfinnegan

Geography exam was a bit tough compared to the other years.
    Just like English, they've realised that the exam has been too predictable over the past few years.

Anyways, I thought the short questions were simple. Although they were long, but simple, I definately got 80/80 in that.

Physical: There wasn't one question where I could do all parts :mad:
    I think I did Q1 :confused: It was the one with Landform development: waterfalls, that was grand, and the question with the sketch map. Unfortunately I couldn't do the answer on metamhorphic rocks. 30 marks gone down the drain.

Regional Geography was simple. I did the question on the sketch map of Ireland, then tertiary activities in Paris Basin, and then culture question. So thats full 80 marks there :P Oh and for the tertiary question it only asked for 1 (which was a pity), but the answer I had prepared I talked about Tourism and Transport. But because it only asked for 1 of those I choose tourism, but I shoved the majority of my transport section into the tourism and kept saying "this attracts tourists to the Paris Basin, or, this is why tourism has developed in the Paris Basin, because of the TGV, for example". Is it ok to do that?

The human elective had awful questions. I did the question with the bar graph, then migration over the past 100 years, I dragged a page and a half out of that but I think I got over 20 marks in that. And part C was historic settlement on the map. That was grand.

Last but not least, Geoecology: Wasn't a great answer, but I described climate and how it has affected soils and plants, but I went kinda blank on animals, so I didn't get much there. :(

Was a challenging exam, only major problems was with the physical section and the biome.
    And my field study should be getting above 95/100. Everything was perfect in that.

But my I still don't think I got an A in the Geography exam though :(
    Just have to go with a minimum of a B2 hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭stevenfinnegan

How did people have difficulty finding the mast in the short questions?
    A mast is always on the top of a mountain :P:rolleyes:
    And there was like 2 masts on the map, if I'm correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Tony1130

Short Q's were simple got 11/12 right which is the 80 marks got the lake one wrong about glaciers one question was like what type of lake is this? so i just put down a very nice lake :P

Physical Q 2 Good Quarrying answer,pretty good fold mts one and full marks on part a

Regional-Full marks on te sketch of ireland :) then cultural i just said ''where would be without culture'' and thts it then for d one about teritary i did 2 things both tourism and transport when it asked for one & i did them in poor detail so i got about 30 marks in regional.
    Human- Bar graph full marks, in the migration i said the 1950's and i couldnt think of anything else so i went into 1914 about ireland emigrating to england to join the british army for ww2 & went into home rule amd everything ^^ hope i get some marks

Biome-Gotta be at least 70/80 maybe full marks wit 3.5 pages

Project was excellent ( I hope)

Overall im predicting high c or low b due to tht gay regional and human but overall easy paper if u studied

You might get a few. Like 5/10.

How did people have difficulty finding the mast in the short questions?
    A mast is always on the top of a mountain :P:rolleyes:
    And there was like 2 masts on the map, if I'm correct?
    Yeah a few people in my year couldn't find it, wtf it's always on a mountain !!?! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Doodle53

Hey guys,
    Did anyone else do the conflicting interests question?I didnt find it difficult im just wondering if you were only supposed to talk about one example.The question stated and 'with reference to an example you have studied' in normal writing.It didnt say 'to one example you have studied' in bold.So I took it didnt matter.I mainly talked about one and threw in 3 srps on another example.
    Im just wondering if this is alright.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

Tony1130 wrote: »
    Short Q's were simple got 11/12 right which is the 80 marks got the lake one wrong about glaciers one question was like what type of lake is this? so i just put down a very nice lake :P

Physical Q 2 Good Quarrying answer,pretty good fold mts one and full marks on part a

Regional-Full marks on te sketch of ireland :) then cultural i just said ''where would be without culture'' and thts it then for d one about teritary i did 2 things both tourism and transport when it asked for one & i did them in poor detail so i got about 30 marks in regional.
    Human- Bar graph full marks, in the migration i said the 1950's and i couldnt think of anything else so i went into 1914 about ireland emigrating to england to join the british army for ww2 & went into home rule amd everything ^^ hope i get some marks

Biome-Gotta be at least 70/80 maybe full marks wit 3.5 pages

Project was excellent ( I hope)

Overall im predicting high c or low b due to tht gay regional and human but overall easy paper if u studied

gotta love that!!!!
    thats hilarious

will i get no marks?frown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

shblob wrote: »
    Yeah a few people in my year couldn't find it, wtf it's always on a mountain !!?! :p

i just checked the legend and say the symbol for mast.
    the next time i laid eyes on the map it was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Doodle53

Completely agree!Too funny

• Registered Users Posts: 14 nicolejessie

must say lovely paper could answer all parts to it makes up 4 de disastor yeaterday:D

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭STBR

4 de disastor yeaterday:D

On the English paper yeah?

will i get no marks?
    COULD SOMEONE ANSWER THIS 4 ME
    WOLD BE MUCH APRICIATED?

will i get no marks?
    COULD SOMEONE ANSWER THIS 4 ME
    WOLD BE MUCH APRICIATED?

I only know swallow hole but I was forced to do this question because I know nothing about metamorphic rocks in enough detail for a 30 mark question, had to do a quick summary of a cave. I'd say that you would certainly get a good few.:) I mean you must have defined karst region, name the burren, go on about how limestone is permeable, carbonic acid, carbonaction, calcite dissolves, rock crumbles. All this stuff is the same so you could have gotten lots of marks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 nicolejessie

SirDarren wrote: »
    On the English paper yeah?

for sure learned longley nd boland cryed wen i opened de paper ended up writing 4 sentances on yeats didn't ave aue!!!:(:eek:

Advertisement