Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And for our Geog peeps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

what did anyone write for the MNC question on why a MNC should locate in the place shown on the map & photograph?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 student12876

cheers.. yea i mentioned all about karst landforms nd the burren nd explained all about carbonation so hopefully ill get a few marks nyway...
    found all the other parts grand
    but the physical was very arkwardly matched compared to oter years i tought

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

cheers.. yea i mentioned all about karst landforms nd the burren nd explained all about carbonation so hopefully ill get a few marks nyway...
    found all the other parts grand
    but the physical was very arkwardly matched compared to oter years i tought

I know was disappointed that the traditional OS map, landform development and human interaction Q didn't come up as Q1, it always does. Damn metamorphic rocks. Yeh was happy overall and got to write out characteristics of a biome so very happy. Short questions were lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I wrote down climate as one and drainage as another but i assume they wanted more than physical factors!

crap i wrote about the green revolution in india and migration to urban centres... my only dodgy question, everything else was beautiful!

and with regards to the amount people wrote for the biome, point breakdown;
    4x headings= 16marks
    24x srps= 48marks
    overall coherence = 16marks

it really didn't require an english length essay..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

took me about 10 minutes to find that mast on the map....

me too...! ended up using my old "wordsearch technique" that I used in primary school - ie - one letter at a time, or in this case, one box at a time! And it still took me two attempts doing it that way! :O I started to think it was a trick question that required you to write "no such mast...." :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Philly_C

PlayGirl wrote: »
    what did anyone write for the MNC question on why a MNC should locate in the place shown on the map & photograph?

Think I mainly wrote it was suitable because of the transport system available, plenty of room to build the plant and for expansion, and there will be plenty of available employment, made reference to all the houses in the photograph.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

Philly_C wrote: »
    Think I mainly wrote it was suitable because of the transport system available, plenty of room to build the plant and for expansion, and there will be plenty of available employment, made reference to all the houses in the photograph.

exactly what i wrote ! thanks :D
    i thought i messed that question up completely

dyeti wrote: »

What about if you said Sao Paulo? I said Sao Paulo :D

That should be fine too. In class we studied Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro together, but it specified just one on the question. Rio was what came into my head first so that's the one I did haha. The info is pretty much the same for both of them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mariabitch

took me about 10 minutes to find that mast on the map....
    where the fuk was the walkway ? :L ur from monaghan so am i .sorri im not a creep :L

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

Haha, I drew Ireland as well. But I noticed in the short questions that there were four little pictures of Ireland in one of them - it was to do with defining regions - had to match the right picture of Ireland to Urban, Cultural, Administrative and Socio-Economic (or was it regional it said?)

Anyways.... was quite handy to be able to copy it straight down from that! :rolleyes:

Oh your right, but I used the one on the OS map (the legend part)
    besides, I did the paper in reverse order so I had the map drawn by that stage. besides, the drawing of it is only like 4 marks anyways, and seeing as I made a good stab at it they can't be too harsh. its not like its a art exam. Otherwise I was happy enough with the paper. Did not like the shorts. But then again, I never do...

• Advertisement

orlabobs wrote: »
    besides, I did the paper in reverse order so I had the map drawn by that stage. besides, the drawing of it is only like 4 marks anyways, and seeing as I made a good stab at it they can't be too harsh. its not like its a art exam. Otherwise I was happy enough with the paper. Did not like the shorts. But then again, I never do...

haha, I've seen a couple of people get full marks for drawing Ireland shaped blobs so I'm sure it's fine. :) I just found it easy to copy one. ;) haha.
    Though my river liffy might have accidentally stretched a little too far.... :p

I started with the geoecology (completely forgot about short questions at first) :rolleyes: I hate the elective so was leaving that till the end unless I ran out of time.

I think I had 30 seconds left over which I used to add a final sentence to the culture essay. haha. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

very happy with geography in hindsight compared to the horrific maths!! Some of the short questions were wierd, like the very first one in which you had to say which rock came from where.. the diagram was very bad!!

Physical, I wrote about the three gorges dam, etc...

I then did the Q on map of ireland, tourism in italy, then culture, for culture i wrote all about india is that ok? because it did say "in any region you have studied"??

i made up my renewable energy, i had a few random facts remembered bout wind energy but the rest was babble...

i totally blanked on CAP!! I was so upset, i only got like a page on it, i have had at least 4 tests on cap in the last few months and then i forgot it all :(

as for the biomes, i freaked coz when i first read it i though it had to write about climate only and was like noo i only have half a page on climate!! but then i wrote what i usually do: definition, climate, soil, vegetation, vegetation adaptions, animal adaptions but said how the climate influnced them... do u think thast was ok? i hope i get good cohesion marks for it... i wrote like 2 and a half pages, but my pen nib is verrrry slim so that counts for something i hope xD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Did Q3, Q5 (I think, had something about culture in it), Q12 and Q16. Short Qs were fairly easy, Q3 was pretty easy, didn't like the regional Qs or the human environment Qs, biome Q was ok but I don't think I linked it back to climate enough but put down loads of points.

Oh I nearly freaked out and cryed when I opened the paper first, I looked first for the geoecology Q, and accidently read the Qs on oceans and atmosphere (or something like that) and though WTF wheres the biome Q.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

My Ireland looked horrible. I kept rubbing bits of the disjointed bits out and replacing them, but they looked even worse the next time around! You definitely would not want this teddy bear near your child!

Also, my locational map of Belgium within my answer was hilariously bad. I forgot what Belgium looks like, so I drew a random outline (turnip shaped thing) and divide it into Flanders and Wallonia. No big deal really - the worst that can happen is I don't get an SRP for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭stevenfinnegan

Mariabitch wrote: »
    where the fuk was the walkway ? :L ur from monaghan so am i .sorri im not a creep :L
    I think it was that big, red dotted line near the town :D

me too...! ended up using my old "wordsearch technique" that I used in primary school - ie - one letter at a time, or in this case, one box at a time! And it still took me two attempts doing it that way! :O I started to think it was a trick question that required you to write "no such mast...." :rolleyes:
    OMG.....a mast is always on top of a mountain!!! :P:rolleyes:
    They were simple short questions :D

It only clicked to me in the last 5 minutes that i needed to use the key to find out what the symbol for mast and walkway was... i was searching for the word "mast" for aggggggesssss!!! when i figured it out i felt so stupid/accomplished XD

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭dannydfc

muffinz wrote: »
    as for the biomes, i freaked coz when i first read it i though it had to write about climate only and was like noo i only have half a page on climate!! but then i wrote what i usually do: definition, climate, soil, vegetation, vegetation adaptions, animal adaptions but said how the climate influnced them... do u think thast was ok? i hope i get good cohesion marks for it... i wrote like 2 and a half pages, but my pen nib is verrrry slim so that counts for something i hope xD
    I hope so, because i ahd sort of the same layout as you, about 2 pages though maybe itw as enough to get a decent grade.
    Hope we did the right parts.

orlabobs wrote: »
    4 marks just for drawing the outline of Ireland? :confused:
    Surely not?
    I thought it would be no more than 1, if any marks at all?

dannydfc wrote: »
    I hope so, because i ahd sort of the same layout as you, about 2 pages though maybe itw as enough to get a decent grade.
    Hope we did the right parts.
    hope so!! and are you meant to draw diagrams for the biome question?! coz during the exam today i had a mental flashback to the mocks, when my friend was talking about all the diagrams she drew for the biome question.... My teacher never mentioned diagrams to us, I didnt even knew there were diagrams.. Im kinda freakin out now, does anyone know?

• Advertisement

4 marks just for drawing the outline of Ireland? :confused:
    Surely not?
    I thought it would be no more than 1, if any marks at all?

For a 20 mark question?

For a 20 mark question?
    Yeah

hope so!! and are you meant to draw diagrams for the biome question?! coz during the exam today i had a mental flashback to the mocks, when my friend was talking about all the diagrams she drew for the biome question.... My teacher never mentioned diagrams to us, I didnt even knew there were diagrams.. Im kinda freakin out now, does anyone know?
    The rain shadow effect.:confused:
    Perhaps that could be it, maybe that is only needed on the question on how "Humans alter biomes".
    Not too sure, that's the only possible diagram AFAIK, maybe it is linked, rain shadow effect--> climate...:eek:
    Hope it wasn't needed though, i haven't heard any the other lads here that did it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Actually I think 6 marks go for the outline of Ireland. It's graded, so you'll get 2 marks for a crap outline, 4 marks for a moderate outline and 6 marks for a good outline. Open to correction.

dannydfc wrote: »
    The rain shadow effect.:confused:
    Perhaps that could be it, maybe that is only needed on the question on how "Humans alter biomes".
    Not too sure, that's the only possible diagram AFAIK, maybe it is linked, rain shadow effect--> climate...:eek:
    Hope it wasn't needed though, i haven't heard any the other lads here that did it.
    I dont even know what the rain shadow effect is.....:confused: for the actual climate, i wrote about temps, and how the sun rises at 6, builds up etc...!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

No there aren't really any relatable diagrams for the biomes question. Your friend could have been talking about the soils question and draqing the soil diagram

Actually I think 6 marks go for the outline of Ireland. It's graded, so you'll get 2 marks for a crap outline, 4 marks for a moderate outline and 6 marks for a good outline. Open to correction.
    I checked on SEC Geography 2009 marking scheme. It is 2 marks for the outline.
    They had a similar question last year.
    In 2007 it was 4 marks, but there was less stuff to show on the map on that year.

So I am presuming this year it was 2 marks for the outline.
    Pointless marks to be honest, but sure we won't complain. :D

I checked on SEC Geography 2009 marking scheme. It is 2 marks.
    They had a similar question last year.
    In 2007 it was 4 marks, but there was less stuff to show on the map on that year.

Ah I see - I'm not sure where I got 6 marks from! All the better - I can't draw Ireland to save my life.

It just dawned on me. We'll never have to worry about Geoecology essays and SRPs every again. WOW!
    [lets not talk about repeating!]

I dont even know what the rain shadow effect is.....:confused: for the actual climate, i wrote about temps, and how the sun rises at 6, builds up etc...!
    I dunno, i just learned off the main characteristics.
    I'm not sure if this was needed but we did it anyway, it was in the book with all the other stuff.
    A bit on it here:

http://biomee.wikispaces.com/Desert+Biome
    The deserts located near the mountains are formed by the "rain shadow" effect. The "rain shadow" effect is a process of how air moves up a mountain which makes it cold and lose its ability to hold any moisture, but when the air gets through and down the other side of the mountain the air becomes warmer and has the ability to hold moisture again. The more moisture the air can absorb, the less precipitation that area will have, which later forms a deser

• Advertisement

Ah I see - I'm not sure where I got 6 marks from! All the better - I can't draw Ireland to save my life.

It just dawned on me. We'll never have to worry about Geoecology essays and SRPs every again. WOW!
    [lets not talk about repeating!]
    Yeah same here! I was trying to copy off the little map of Ireland on the legend of the OS map - but it didn't turn out too well.

Advertisement