Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And for our Geog peeps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭klose

actually out of interest where did people say the trellised drainage pattern was on the os map? i put it as the bottom right hand part, anyone confirm this?

also i said tourism in italy for tertiary in europe....fairly broad topic think id get the marks for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭stevenfinnegan

actually out of interest where did people say the trellised drainage pattern was on the os map? i put it as the bottom right hand part, anyone confirm this?

also i said tourism in italy for tertiary in europe....fairly broad topic think id get the marks for that?
    Yeah that was the trellised pattern, if I can remember correctly.
    It was a load of straight, blue lines along the end of the River Suir.
    Well, I did tourism in the Paris Basin, but I was sneaky and threw some transport stuff into it under the heading of toursim. It was unfair the way it only asked for 1.
    So it depends, how many SRP's do ya think you got on it? How long was the answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭RyanK

Yea the trellised drainage pattern was the bottom right of the OS map, at the end of the River Suir.

And tourism for Italy is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭klose

Yeah that was the trellised pattern, if I can remember correctly.
    It was a load of straight, blue lines along the end of the River Suir.
    Well, I did tourism in the Paris Basin, but I was sneaky and threw some transport stuff into it under the heading of toursim. It was unfair the way it only asked for 1.
    So it depends, how many SRP's do ya think you got on it? How long was the answer?

i might have messed up the tourism..i went on how meezagiornio was area of decline needed reform, tourism was a main think they needed talked about objective 1 status, cassa per il mezzagiorno etc...they invested in tourism for advertising for all the volcanoes nd pompeii nd dat **** nd plesent weather???? **** hah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 EK240692

for tourism in the paris basin what did ye discuss?
    i mentioned its attractions and that it is easily accessed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Heaso77

i misread the physical question on karst region
    i didnt notic underground feature
    nd wrote out swallow hole answer
    will i get no marks?frown.gif

Sorry how did yu get 1 SRP's on a swallow hole? :L I did Cave's + Caverns and mentioned swallow holes..

• Registered Users Posts: 34 NR

will i get no marks?:(

I noticed that and wrote out my sinkhole answer, thinking I was great at the time, but now I'm having second thoughts and wondering this as well :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

Oops.....
    I mis-read the tertiary activity wrong.. I read it as tertiary activities in one european region you have studied... not one tertiary activity in a european region.

So I wrote about transport and tourism, but had nearly two pages... do you think I'll lose many marks? :(

(edit: I did say things like how the good transport facilities and two main airports in the paris basin attracted tourists and that transport also attracted industry... but I had loads of info about tourism so the examiner will also know I must have mis-read the question. :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MyHair

For me the paper was unbeliveably easy. At one point I just thought "Ok wtf?, is this the ordinary paper or what?" xD

MyHair wrote: »
    For me the paper was unbeliveably easy. At one point I just thought "Ok wtf?, is this the ordinary paper or what?" xD

Was easy cause you knew what you were answering.. i Did too tho :D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

NR wrote: »
    I noticed that and wrote out my sinkhole answer, thinking I was great at the time, but now I'm having second thoughts and wondering this as well :confused:

Sickened..

Hopefully i've got 165 points outta Eng nd Geo.. Including an A1 in Geo :D

Heaso77 wrote: »
    Sickened..

That was helpful, thanks, but can a sinkhole be considered an underground feature? It's all about a river ending up underground like, surely it can count

NR wrote: »
    That was helpful, thanks, but can a sinkhole be considered an underground feature? It's all about a river ending up underground like, surely it can count

Technically it is on the surface so it would not enter the category of "underground features" Hopefully you'll get the luck of the draw..

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

I never in my life felt so happy to see the word "Biome". I could have kissed our supervisor when I saw it, if soils came up I was ready to make up a soil and describe that instead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 student12876

Heaso77 wrote: »
    Technically it is on the surface so it would not enter the category of "underground features" Hopefully you'll get the luck of the draw..

yea im hoping to god they will give sum marks for swallow holes...was a difficult question compared to most years so hopefully they do!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

Is it just me, or did this years questions not follow the trend of previous years? :confused:

Timing got messed up, if only i had ten more minutes! Il be happy to get a B at this stage. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

3_BOoYA_X wrote: »
    Is it just me, or did this years questions not follow the trend of previous years? :confused::(

no they messed it up a little, those short questions were weird! weird but wonderful that is.. and the long questions were strangely specific..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭FordieMUFC

will i get no marks?:(
    If I'm being honest, you'll probably get one. You haven't wrote about the question asked like. Although you could get some maybe for mentioning the processes, but I wouldn't be expecting a B or C in the part tbh.

Geography exam was a bit tough compared to the other years.
    Just like English, they've realised that the exam has been too predictable over the past few years.

Anyways, I thought the short questions were simple. Although they were long, but simple, I definately got 80/80 in that.

Physical: There wasn't one question where I could do all parts :mad:
    I think I did Q1 :confused: It was the one with Landform development: waterfalls, that was grand, and the question with the sketch map. Unfortunately I couldn't do the answer on metamhorphic rocks. 30 marks gone down the drain.

Regional Geography was simple. I did the question on the sketch map of Ireland, then tertiary activities in Paris Basin, and then culture question. So thats full 80 marks there :P Oh and for the tertiary question it only asked for 1 (which was a pity), but the answer I had prepared I talked about Tourism and Transport. But because it only asked for 1 of those I choose tourism, but I shoved the majority of my transport section into the tourism and kept saying "this attracts tourists to the Paris Basin, or, this is why tourism has developed in the Paris Basin, because of the TGV, for example". Is it ok to do that?

The human elective had awful questions. I did the question with the bar graph, then migration over the past 100 years, I dragged a page and a half out of that but I think I got over 20 marks in that. And part C was historic settlement on the map. That was grand.

Last but not least, Geoecology: Wasn't a great answer, but I described climate and how it has affected soils and plants, but I went kinda blank on animals, so I didn't get much there. :(

Was a challenging exam, only major problems was with the physical section and the biome.
    And my field study should be getting above 95/100. Everything was perfect in that.

But my I still don't think I got an A in the Geography exam though :(
    Just have to go with a minimum of a B2 hopefully.
    You did probably the exact same as me on this paper :D
    I did the exact same with the tertiary activities too in Paris, said that the TGV, SNCF and RER along with Charles de Gaulles airport make attractive for tourists in the region.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

FordieMUFC wrote: »
    If I'm being honest, you'll probably get one. You haven't wrote about the question asked like. Although you could get some maybe for mentioning the processes, but I wouldn't be expecting a B or C in the part tbh.

You did probably the exact same as me on this paper :D
    I did the exact same with the tertiary activities too in Paris, said that the TGV, SNCF and RER along with Charles de Gaulles airport make attractive for tourists in the region.

And you guys did the exact same thing as me! Tourism and transport as an attracting factor. Same elective and geoecology too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

H2student wrote: »
    And you guys did the exact same thing as me! Tourism and transport as an attracting factor. Same elective and geoecology too :D

Yep I did tourism in Paris and a paragraph on how important its transport links are for attracting tourists and how easily accessed it is.

yea im hoping to god they will give sum marks for swallow holes...was a difficult question compared to most years so hopefully they do!

It was, it was part of their new specificness, so maybe they'll be lenient on it. I've thought about it and although the sinkhole opens up on on the ground, the process that makes the sinkhole occurs underground. In a diagram you'd draw it mostly underground. Above ground you'd really only mention the stream entering the hole, and the dry valley afterwards.

I've basically been up all night thinking about this one question :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cli101

Oops.....
    I mis-read the tertiary activity wrong.. I read it as tertiary activities in one european region you have studied... not one tertiary activity in a european region.

So I wrote about transport and tourism, but had nearly two pages... do you think I'll lose many marks? :(

(edit: I did say things like how the good transport facilities and two main airports in the paris basin attracted tourists and that transport also attracted industry... but I had loads of info about tourism so the examiner will also know I must have mis-read the question. :( )

i've done the EXACT same as you :(but i had aloton tourism so hopefully weal be okay??:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

I thought the short questions were alright. I did question 1 which was alright with the land form development one. I started by doing the option question which I was praying to come up and it did. The Religion as a cultural indicator one. I think I spent too long on the option though. After the option I did the short questions which were pretty okay. Then I did the human elective, (Q.10) the graph one, I simply drew a simple bar chart for the first part. Then explained population density. Did anyone do this questions also? the changes in the patterns of Irish migration, I simply had two periods, the 1980's a period of net emigration and wrote a good bit on that, then in the Celtic Tiger era I wrote on how Ireland was a period of Net Immigration. I think that was right anyhow. Historic settlement was just about I think a church, castle and a megalithic tomb which i just explained about them and the era's they were built in etc..

Then I went back to question 1. I drew the sketch map okay. Then the land form development of a waterfall should get 30 from 30 in that one :). But after completed that I realized how I was going to be short on time, so i skipped the question on metamorphic rocks so I could do the regional one since I wasn't 100% sure on metamorphic rocks.

So I did question five, which the first part was easy enough, simple chart reading. Next I did the development of Dublin which was a question I had hoped would come up and finally I wrote about the Climate and Drainage in the American south west for the last question. After I had finished this I had around five minutes left so I simply wrote about 8 bullet points on the formation of metamorphic rocks. Hopefully to gain a few marks anyhow. Overal the exam wasn't too hard, but was pretty long. However writing three and a half pages for my option question was probably my own downfall :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Oops.....

No, they'd nearly expect someone to throw in a bit of transport. After all, that does effect their tourism hugely.

double GG wrote: »
    hen I did the human elective, (Q.10) the graph one, I simply drew a simple bar chart for the first part. Then explained population density. Did anyone do this questions also? the changes in the patterns of Irish migration, I simply had two periods, the 1980's a period of net emigration and wrote a good bit on that, then in the Celtic Tiger era I wrote on how Ireland was a period of Net Immigration. I think that was right anyhow. Historic settlement was just about I think a church, castle and a megalithic tomb which i just explained about them and the era's they were built in etc..

Yep I did this question too.

My answers were pretty much the same as yours.

Bar chart for 1st one and I defined population density and gave examples of low and high density regions.

For Migration I did Ireland in late 70s and 80s with outward migration to UK and USA. The I contrasted that with 2000s especially since 2004 when other countries joined EU. I did Celtic Tiger times with immigration into Ireland and then I mentioned the current economic climate and unemployment causing some to return home and Irish people to leave to look for work elsewhere eg. architects to Dubai

For the historic settlement I did castle (hillfort and castle), ogham stones and megalithic tombs. Just wrote paragraph on each, what they were and why they were evidence of historic settlement.

That's it. Thought it was a nice enough question. Hope I did OK.

Then I went back to question 1. I drew the sketch map okay. Then the land form development of a waterfall should get 30 from 30 in that one :). But after completed that I realized how I was going to be short on time, so i skipped the question on metamorphic rocks so I could do the regional one since I wasn't 100% sure on metamorphic rocks.

Metamorphic stopped me too.
    I had to do Q2 and I only know swallow hole for a karst region so had to do a quick summary of a cave. My one on dams was ok though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Victoria. wrote: »
    Metamorphic stopped me too.
    I had to do Q2 and I only know swallow hole for a karst region so had to do a quick summary of a cave. My one on dams was ok though.

Did you get it all finished? I was looking for a B, and I hopefully can say I got it. and who said cramming work???? Worked for me :):) Up until 3 in the morning on Friday morning and then getting back up at 6 for more cramming!! Crammed my whole option question and all about the regions.

Did you get it all finished? I was looking for a B, and I hopefully can say I got it. and who said cramming work???? Worked for me :):) Up until 3 in the morning on Friday morning and then getting back up at 6 for more cramming!! Crammed my whole option question and all about the regions.

Yeh cramming is fantastic. It's how I study :) I do look over things every now and again over time but before tests cramming has never failed me - ever. I did a day or two of cramming for geog last week and an hour or two the night before. I was really pleased with the result, I remembered 75% of it in the exam after a week, pretty productive if you ask me :D

Yeh I got it all done, but just.
    Did short qs, then elective, then part A and B of physical and abandoned it when I went over time and went on to do the option because that's worth 80 marks so wasn't going to waste my time looking for 30 on the part C and it was something I didn't know a lot about and had to think about it a lot. Flew through the biome question because it was from memory so just wrote it out like a robot. Had about 20 mins after that so I spent about 10 looking over my other answers and then 10 writing everything I knew about limestone and caves. Was exhausted :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 drurz57

Could anyone find that mast?! I was looking for ages and i couldnt see it anywhere!:confused:

Advertisement