Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And for our Geog peeps

1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 TurkishNeon

For Human Interference with the marine processes I said coastal management and gave Ireland as the example, is this too vague/ is it allowed?
    Also I hadn't prepared UNDERGROUND karst landforms, I said Cavern and described stalactites and stalagmites, in my book these are in different sections, is this okay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

The stuff about the cave and stalactites is grand, dont know about the other thing as I never studied that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 colddesert

was really hoping for an A1 but didnt get my biome essay finished i was so sickened! got most of it down but the subsuface limestone feature in physical ****ed me up i just wrote jibberish! plus i dont know did i skip a page of short questions im prayin i didnt! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 falala

Ye know Human Elective? I did I think it was the 1st question with Migration and Historic Settlement, but in the migration I basically wrote the essay I had learned of the impacts of the EU on Ireland's economy and culture. It seemed to work at the time I just didn't include 'EU' as much as the question was not specifically asking about that. Does anyone remember the question i'm talking about. Do ye think it works?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 NR

falala wrote: »
    Ye know Human Elective? I did I think it was the 1st question with Migration and Historic Settlement, but in the migration I basically wrote the essay I had learned of the impacts of the EU on Ireland's economy and culture. It seemed to work at the time I just didn't include 'EU' as much as the question was not specifically asking about that. Does anyone remember the question i'm talking about. Do ye think it works?

"Examine two major changes in the patterns of Irish migration within the last one hundred years"? If you talked about a cultural effect of the EU, you surely then talked about migration and the Schengen Agreement and all that? That would be fine then. You'd probably just be repeating yourself on the economic front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭The___________

falala wrote: »

You should be grand there as long as ya had the answer split up in two distinct parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 falala

Haha thanks, am nope don't know what that schergen is, but I might have mentioned the Maastricht treaty? It would have been full marks if the question was about the impact of EU expansion, but it wasn't. :pac::pac: Yeah I split it up, the cultural was more about the composition of the population and the economic was about migrants contributing to our economy, 450,000 employees were needed in Ireland in 2007 etc, and how this has changed. Hopefully I got at least 20/30 anyway. :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Short Questions: Quite straight-forward, a bit longer than previous years but no more challenging.

Physical: The question groupings made it complex to find a very suitable question, but I answered the one about Folding, and Interaction with the Rock Cycle. Rock Cycle was fine, but I felt it's hard to get a substantial amount out of folding - I think they should have asked folding and faulting.

Regional: Usually my worst part of the paper, but it wasn't actually bad this year. I answer tertiary economic in Paris. It was unusual that it said only one, but I talked about tourism and brought transport into it by saying it was 'accessible' - I hope I still get marks for it! Culture in Belgium was fine.

Human Elective: This was my least-revised for section but I can't complain. Traffic Congestion was a fairly common sense question. I just said Traffic Congestion is reduced by 1. Building of Public Transport and 2. Upgrading of Roads. Then there was a question on problems of Urban Growth in a developing world region. I talked a bit about why Sao Paulo grows before I got to the problems, just so I wouldn't dry up before 15 SRPs. I wonder will they just start marking when they get to the problems?

Geoecology: I answered how climate influences the characteristics of the desert biome. It was pretty much the exact same answer as characteristics. I'm very thankful I switched to the desert biome (my class does Tropical Rainforest) as nearly everything in the desert (plant, soil and animals) adapt to the climate, so minimal changing was needed. My friends that answered the Tropical Rainforest said they found it awkward fitting everything into climate, as a lot of plants interact with the trees, rather than the climate, but they changed it around to say that animals interact indirectly with the climate as the trees grow as a result of the climate.

Overall I was quite happy. One thing I noticed though was that there was usually only one question in each section that I was happy with, so I got lucky in terms of choosing. Some questions just instantly put me off - e.g. historic settlement, underground landform formation, characteristics of a soil type etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dara92cove

has anyone got a link 4 the paper online???

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

dara92cove wrote: »
    has anyone got a link 4 the paper online???

This is HL http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2010/LC005ALP000EV.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 GAAmadd

Generally the short questions were grand but im not sure about a few. what did people give for questions 5,6,9, and 10 in the sort questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

GAAmadd wrote: »
    Generally the short questions were grand but im not sure about a few. what did people give for questions 5,6,9, and 10 in the sort questions?

5-
    • 161 metres
    • tarn
    • arete
    • nort eastwards
    6-
    • anticyclone
    • isobar
    • calm dry weather with warm temperatures
    9 no idea really

• thought this was a joke of a question anyway
    • c
    • a
    • d
    • b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 GAAmadd

Thanks very much that makes me feel better about it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭FordieMUFC

leg wrote: »
    9 no idea really

Rock A is basalt.
    Rock B is granite.

Rock A forms at 1.
    Rock B forms at 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

oh yea, I meant to mention this earlier

But what was the story with the ten cent beside the rocks???

irish_man wrote: »
    oh yea, I meant to mention this earlier

But what was the story with the ten cent beside the rocks???

They usually do that to compare size, and/or colour. It had no relevance to the exam, but samples of stones are often pictured like that. It's probably to show people that it isn't a huge boulder dragged by a glacier down a mountain

Advertisement