Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Live In Running World Cup Thread for After Hours.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I've a tenner on a 2-2 draw in the France game.. got it at 20/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I dont care who wins in France-Mexico just as long as there is a winner and South Africa are pretty much out. Worst Hosts Ever!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I've a tenner on a 2-2 draw in the France game.. got it at 20/1

How much you up / down so far? I been conservative with my gamblation so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

How much you up / down so far? I been conservative with my gamblation so far.

This is only the second bet I've put on. I had a tenner on N. Korea to beat Brazil, that wasn't looking unlikely until 55 mins in =o

I never usually gamble but since I'm trying to watch the games I thought I'd have the odd punt

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/06/16/vuvuzelas-can-cause-deafness-and-disease-experts-warn/
    More than just a challenge for the ears of soccer fans around the world, the ubiquitous vuvuzela horns might also pose significant health risks to stadium spectators at the World Cup.

Experts are warning that the sheer decibels of the vuvuzelas -- at 127, they're louder than a chainsaw -- leave soccer watchers in danger of permanent hearing loss, the Wall Street Journal is reporting.

Surprisingly, though, hearing problems aren't even the biggest risk.

Instead, the sprayed spittle from thousands of spectators, all blowing into their vuvuzelas, could spread the common cold, chicken pox and even tuberculosis and SARS.

"We measured what happens when healthy people blow the vuvuzela and were astonished at the number of aerosols formed," Ruth McNerney of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine told the Journal. "If someone with a chest or throat infection uses the vuvuzela in a crowded place then they could spread the infection to people around them."

And among South Africans, the vuvuzelas might also pose a threat to physical safety. The horns are being blared, day and night, at workplaces, from cars and on sidewalks -- apparently causing arguments and fist fights among locals.

*Mod note* This article and discussion is about the vuvuzela's and not the World Cup nor any of it's matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SadieSue

That is so disgusting! "sprayed spittle" YUCK!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Hope to fcuk they don't start using them at matches in these parts. They're a pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

HA! that makes me happy. I HATE those fooking yokes!!! grrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Hope to fcuk they don't start using them at matches in these parts. They're a pain in the ass.

It's too late,apparently everyone's bringing them to some Leitrim-Roscommon match soon,thank fcuk I don't like GAA.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

This is only the second bet I've put on. I had a tenner on N. Korea to beat Brazil, that wasn't looking unlikely until 55 mins in =o

I never usually gamble but since I'm trying to watch the games I thought I'd have the odd punt

i've given up trying to predict results in this world cup, am going to enjoy watching mexico win this safe in the knowledge i cant lose any money

:D

storm2811 wrote: »
    It's too late,apparently everyone's bringing them to some Leitrim-Roscommon match soon,thank fcuk I don't like GAA.

Thank fcuk i don't support either Leitrim or Roscommon :D

If they bring them into Parnell Park or Croker,someone will get stabbed with one!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I haven't watched any of the world cup. :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

ScumLord wrote: »
    I haven't watched any of the world cup. :cool:
    Congratulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Here's a great forum for discussing the health risks of vuvuzelas: link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I like how every World Cup adds a new piece of vocabulary to the english language. Four years ago it was "wag."

But yes. The vuvuzela needs to be stopped. I don't care if it's South African tradition. The harp is tradition here but we don't bring them to bleeding football matches. Cop the **** on. I'm hopeful that it's just a fad, I kinda feel like it will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Well, I mean in all honesty it's part of their culture and who arbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

They were saying on RTE yesterday that the Bundsliga have banned then in the stadiums already for next season.
    That's German efficenticy for ya-ban them before they've even been used!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Vuvuzela analysing experts:confused:

whatever next. :rolleyes:
    Typical, they can't find any valid reason to ban them so H&S bollix raises its ugly head again, can't argue with H&S :mad:

I think they're great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Gambling is for losers.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

And winners. By logical extension of your original point.
    Ha.
    I have talked you in circles. No escape now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

jimmy Mcgee during the greece nigeria match:

"Vuvuzela, ya can either blow it or ya cant".

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

irish-stew wrote: »
    i've given up trying to predict results in this world cup, am going to enjoy watching mexico win this safe in the knowledge i cant lose any money

:D

just gave into 11/4 on mexico

:o
    super-rush wrote: »
    Gambling is for losers.

says the gambling mod

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

irish-stew wrote: »

says the gambling mod

;)

Oh the ironing.

I have €50 Dirk Kuyt at 80/1 as my outside bet for top scorer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/9590/vishnusixdixalbumsworld.jpg

I've loads of these. I can be just as annoying as a vuvuzela here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 iMaster

So they're noisy AND dangerous? Where can I get one? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

storm2811 wrote: »

All ten people that are going to the Leitrim-Roscommon match?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

bonerm wrote: »

Wow that takes ya back...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

thankfully the crowd at the mexico-france game are drowning them out somewhat. party's over for the south africans so they might finally be shutting up.

Advertisement