Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Live In Running World Cup Thread for After Hours.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

Mais oui, justice has been served. Their stupid manager wouldn't even shake Ferrera's hand. What a gobsh@te

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

What a feckin epic waste of a world cup spot. Lets face it, we'd have shown a lot more heart than france if we'd got through.

Yeah i know its a very predictable thing to say but ya got to wonder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭vodafoneproblem

Don't forget yer vuvuzelas on yer way out the door, SA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

rovert wrote: »
    If you were going to fix one match in this competition it would be this one.

And if you knew anything about football, you'd know that Gorcuff, leading into a challenge with his elbow, was in fact, a sending off offence.

And you would also know that France would have had to have won the game by a few goals & not lose by 2-1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

mojesius wrote: »
    Mais oui, justice has been served. Their stupid manager wouldn't even shake Ferrera's hand. What a gobsh@te
    Prob didn't know who Ferrera was tbh.
    And who could blame him?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

And if you knew anything about football, you'd know that Gorcuff, leading into a challenge with his elbow, was in fact, a sending off offence.

And you would also know that France would have had to have won the game by a few goals & not lose by 2-1.

The match was well booked thats all.

Prob didn't know who Ferrera was tbh.
    And who could blame him?

Do you mean Parreira, one of only two coaches in the entire history of the World Cup to bring 5 national teams to the competition?

Sure he's a nobody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

What a feckin epic waste of a world cup spot. Lets face it, we'd have shown a lot more heart than france if we'd got through.

Agreed. Since they cheated us out they might of at least tried.

Do you mean Parreira, one of only two coaches in the entire history of the World Cup to bring 5 national teams to the competition?

Sure he's a nobody.
    Clearly, to some.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

my bad :o

• Advertisement

Clearly, to some.

Well, at least he's a nobody with a World Cup winners medal. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Demonon

I don't understand the Irish vitriol towards the French team, the people really to blame for us not being in the world cup are FIFA. It was a FIFA referee who missed the handball incident. It was FIFA who let it go unpunished after the match. It was FIFA who wouldn't allow the rematch. It was FIFA who LAUGHED at us when Delaney asked could we be the 33rd in the world cup.

But hey, it's much easier just to attack France than FIFA, as to properly blame FIFA would result in people boycotting the world cup and we all like watching it too much to be doing that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Demonon wrote: »
    But hey, it's much easier just to attack France than FIFA, as to properly blame FIFA would result in people boycotting the world cup and we all like watching it too much to be doing that now.

Can you not let us have our little moment of sour grapes in peace?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭saram

I don't understand the Irish vitriol towards the French team, the people really to blame for us not being in the world cup are FIFA. It was a FIFA referee who missed the handball incident. It was FIFA who let it go unpunished after the match. It was FIFA who wouldn't allow the rematch. It was FIFA who LAUGHED at us when Delaney asked could we be the 33rd in the world cup.

Are people still soo bitter about this...? How many times have teams in a single match "cheated" etc...
    This World Cup has seen some shocking decisions... Are all these teams that are cheated by the ref as angry as the Irish?

If it's not the French, it's the English..
    Let's just move on...

I am sure the French would not comprehend all this stuff being said of them on threads like this.

Anyway, whatever but..there seems to be a lot said for stereotypes too-
    The Begrudging .........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

saram wrote: »
    Are people still soo bitter about this...?

Let's just move on...

I am sure the French would not comprehend all this stuff being said of them on threads like this.

The Begrudging .........

Well they're out now after three games of complete mediocrity so that's the end of it. :)

saram wrote: »
    Are people still soo bitter about this...?

Let's just move on...

The Begrudging .........
    I've already moved on to the English.
    When they lose, my schadenfraude will be at critical levels.

Did you actually watch any of the Irish qualifier games? The only teams we actually managed to beat were Georgia & Cyprus.

The other games were heartless, pathethic draws against the likes of Bulgaria & Monte-f*cking-negro. We couldn't even defend with any conviction for the last 5 minutes at home against Italy when we were ahead.

The Ireland team aren't in the World Cup, because they simply didn't put the effort in. Henry is just the scapegoat for the shake a shamrock brigade who only sing for the Ireland team when they are winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

I don't understand the Irish vitriol towards the French team, the people really to blame for us not being in the world cup are FIFA. It was a FIFA referee who missed the handball incident.
    It was Henry who intentionally cheated.
    It was FIFA who let it go unpunished after the match. It was FIFA who wouldn't allow the rematch. It was FIFA who LAUGHED at us when Delaney asked could we be the 33rd in the world cup.

Anyone who watches football will know FIFA were never going to do anything about it. and Delaney is a donkey for even coming up witrh that request.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Did you actually watch any of the Irish qualifier games? The only teams we actually managed to beat were Georgia & Cyprus. The other games were heartless, pathethic draws against the likes of Bulgaria & Monte-f*cking-negro. We couldn't even defend with any conviction for the last 5 minutes at home against Italy when we were ahead. The Ireland team aren't in the World Cup, because they simply didn't put the effort in. Henry is just the scapegoat for the shake a shamrock brigade who only sing for the Ireland team when they are winning.

+1. There was a programme during the week there one night about the qualifying campaign and there was plenty of dodgy decisions going our way, atrocious defending, some criminal finishing etc. We should have topped our group easily enough, even with the limited enough squad we have.

prinz wrote: »
    +1. There was a programme during the week there one night about the qualifying campaign and there was plenty of dodgy decisions going our way, atrocious defending, some criminal finishing etc. We should have topped our group easily enough, even with the limited enough squad we have.

The qualifying campaign was miserable. Trapp had it right all the way through - the Irish players simply lack "the believe" as he put it. Italy must've been laughing at how easily they topped the group.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

It was Henry who intentionally cheated.

Anyone who watches football will know FIFA were never going to do anything about it. and Delaney is a donkey for even coming up witrh that request.

Actually to be honest - some politian said that the IFA should have sued FIFA fro the loss of world cup earnings brought about by FIFA's poor referee etc etc. I COMPLETELY agree with this. Sue the ****ers. Hit them in their pockets and they'll soon have to sharpen up standards and bring in video replays and this bad decisions lark will dissappear overnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Demonon

It was Henry who intentionally cheated

I really really doubt he intentionally planned to use his hand to control the ball before the match. It was a natural reaction that happens all the time in football (several cases in the last week alone) that is usually punished accordingly by disallowing goals, giving cards, goal kicks, etc.

When the governing body aren't competent enough to enforce the rules, then you can't blame the players themselves when something like this happens. It's a competitive sport and trusting those decisions to the players is never going to work. That's why we need referees, linesmen, officials, and we need them to do their job properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Jaysus Neighbours is awful sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Did you actually watch any of the Irish qualifier games? The only teams we actually managed to beat were Georgia & Cyprus.

The other games were heartless, pathethic draws against the likes of Bulgaria & Monte-f*cking-negro. We couldn't even defend with any conviction for the last 5 minutes at home against Italy when we were ahead.

The Ireland team aren't in the World Cup, because they simply didn't put the effort in. Henry is just the scapegoat for the shake a shamrock brigade who only sing for the Ireland team when they are winning.

Read my post again & point out were i said ireland showed great form in the world cup qualifiers.

All im saying is watching the way this french team tumbled out of the competition in such a disastrous fashion i personally would wonder if we would have shown such a lack of heart. I don't think so.
    Not saying we would have topped the group or anything but we'd have put in a better effort than that.

Its a waste of a world cup spot imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

"Hey Bobby, what's the French for 'home before the postcards'"?

At least Evra can go home now and play the second round on his Playstation.

Read my post again & point out were i said ireland showed great form in the world cup qualifiers.

All im saying is watching the way this french team tumbled out of the competition in such a disastrous fashion i personally would wonder if we would have shown such a lack of heart. I don't think so.
    Not saying we would have topped the group or anything but we'd have put in a better effort than that.

Its a waste of a world cup spot imo.

I never said that you claimed that Ireland showed great form in the qualifiers. I simply pointed out that, going on the form that they did actually show, there is nothing to suggest that they would have done any better than France did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

It's an absolute tragedy that a cherished World Cup place was stolen from us by a team whose players didn't care, whose fans didn't care, who brought absolutely nothing to the tournament, one consolation goal and who hid themselves away from the locals.

You know, we have a super team, and the scenes at the end of the match in November with all the Irish players in tears and saluting the fans was, and still is, heartbreaking. The likes of Given, Dunne, O'Shea, Duff, Doyle and Keane would have brought so much to the tournament and there would have been thousands of Irish fans at the game.

A crying shame, but onwards and upwards to Poland and Ukraine in 2012 :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

super-rush wrote: »
    Jaysus Neighbours is awful sh1te.

Did you get caught on the rte.ie live streaming? That happened me in work yesterday. Was doing something else and all of a sudden neighbours was streaming down.
    Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

the French were an utter embarrassment! joke of a football team i feel sorry for em. are a good nation and steadfast allies, the french people are mortified. government enquiry will follow suit

but something struck me on watching these games, even reaching the WC finals is not a that big a deal. reaching the knockouts are gettn there i guess.. lets get this straight if our inferiority complex continues to undermine our prem forged quality n goes on treating supposed 'big guns' like Italy n France as such we'll repeatedly find ourselves wettn our pants at the prospect of a game against slovenia or whatever in some.. early autumn euro qualifier. big match eh! christ even the Greeks went all the way in the actual finals n won that thing 6yr ago.. n the only raised eyebrows were on the day. quickly forgotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

have rte finally decided to keep souness and dunphy apart?

I wanted to see WW3 break out :(

Advertisement