Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Live In Running World Cup Thread for After Hours.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Mick Daly

Yes

And that'll be Argentina versus Uruguay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Have to agree with the panel there on the coaching and kids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Mick Daly wrote: »
    And that'll be Argentina versus Uruguay.

Wrong, Uruguay and Argentina cannot meet until the World Cup Final. So much for the draw by the Uruguayans, they were smart and have completely dodged Argentina now and I can see them making the quarter finals easily if not the semis, they might do some giant killing along the way (Italy if they meets them I think!)

One must remember Uruguay have won two world cups (1930 the 1st ever, and 1950) and we have not seen them much in recent times due to the extremely competitive nature of the South American qualifiers and in 2002 they flopped in Korea/Japan but were in a tough group and helped drag down France back then with a nil all draw!

prinz wrote: »
    Have to agree with the panel there on the coaching and kids.

This is not the first time they rambled on about this. It's true but listening to them is a joke at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Yeah hasn't Dunphy gone about this a lot lately too?

This is not the first time they rambled on about this. It's true but listening to them is a joke at this stage.

Sure that's what they're there for. Don't want to hear them ramble on about music or politics.

If Johnny Giles was a young fella now with his skill of his young days he'd never have made it. He'd be baten out of it.

prinz wrote: »
    Sure that's what they're there for. Don't want to hear them ramble on about music or politics.

Dunphy and Giles fighting about music in the Irish Times a few weeks back was actually pretty funny.

If Johnny Giles was a young fella now with his skill of his young days he'd never have made it. He'd be baten out of it.

Sure back in his day Chopper Harris used to break the legs of every player on the team in the dressing room for a laugh and they'd still play for 270 minutes solid (that's how long games lasted in those days).

You wouldn't find that with your Messeys or your Ronnies or your Scales.

• Advertisement

Ozzy said earlier that he slept with a football as a child.

Did he have sex with it in later years?

He's right. It's the same here in a lot of places. It was the same when I was younger playing hurling, I remember going to hurling training sessions where you spent the whole evening without hitting a feckin sliothar because some head with a coaching qualification thought swinging at grass and hitting bleeding tractor tyre was the way to go. Total waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Why do they have a subtitle for that "Out of Africa" segment..?

"Out of Africa.. and Beyond!"

Graeme is leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Whats the story with eamon Dunphy? Has he been banished form the rte panel for having that argument with Souness?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

As you wear your Celtic jersey & make some semtex explosives whilst listening to the Wolfe Tones and drinking a bottle of Guinness.

Fair play to ya - hope you enjoy the match.
    Why have a go at Celtic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

Whats the story with eamon Dunphy? Has he been banished form the rte panel for having that argument with Souness?

Probably just hungover!

I'd say he'll be back tomorrow, today was Ardiles' last appearance wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Probably just hungover!

I'd say he'll be back tomorrow, today was Ardiles' last appearance wasn't it?
    Nah I think it was Souness but they had the camera on Ossie when Bill was saying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Ozzy said earlier that he slept with a football as a child.

Did he have sex with it in later years?

In his playing days, he regularly made love to the ball on the pitch.

Ossie - the little man who invented "Tottingham". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Souness probably has another nixer lined up.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭vodafoneproblem

There's some interesting coverage/analysis of the fallout for France on the France 24 channel (Sky digital channel 513). Not impressed with some English journalist called Peter Berlin saying the Irish would NEVER have won on penalties. You'll get yours, England! At least the French journalist on it says they didn't deserve to qualify because of the Irish match. There's also some Irish journalist on it called Mark Rodden. Oops and now the French debate chairman (with an American accent) is slagging off Roy Keane in 2002 and asking what's the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Watching the post match analysis on RTE last nigh reminded me of this:

More so the end of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Oops and now the French debate chairman (with an American accent) is slagging off Roy Keane in 2002 and asking what's the difference.

The difference is Ireland had 1 prima donna scumbag in the squad who thought he should be running the show. France on the other hand appear to have about half a dozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

bonerm wrote: »
    The difference is Ireland had 1 prima donna scumbag in the squad who thought he should be running the show. France on the other hand appear to have about half a dozen.

not to get into the civil war again, but the FAI were treating the trip as a jolly for them and leaving the team underprepared. a big difference between what Keane was saying pre-world cup and what happened with the french team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

not to get into the civil war again, but the FAI were treating the trip as a jolly for them and leaving the team underprepared. a big difference between what Keane was saying pre-world cup and what happened with the french team.

Yet 22 other Irish players trained every day and represented their country on the biggest stage of them all when one person had a problem with the organisation.

Can someone do me up an equation that shows the longest an Irish soccer conversation can go on before it will inevitably end up back at the Saipan incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Imagine France & Dem across the water out in the same week.

Did the irish put a curse on them?? ~ Biddy Early

peabutler wrote: »
    Yet 22 other Irish players trained every day and represented their country on the biggest stage of them all when one person had a problem with the organisation.

I'd say alot of them had issues with it, but Keane being Keane dealt with it in his (incorrect, imo) way.

It's a far different situation to the bullying and boycotting that was going on in the French team.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Can someone do me up an equation that shows the longest an Irish soccer conversation can go on before it will inevitably end up back at the Saipan incident?

It's like some bizarre Godwin corollary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

ozzy said that the football was his lover when he was young !

:eek:

i think that is going a bit too far

Advertisement