Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Live In Running World Cup Thread for After Hours.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

AlcoholicA wrote: »
    all the usual favourites are goin home.

Go team underdog
    +1!

Good to see some proper competition in this WC:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Congrats to the Kiwis!!! :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Insane Rambling

prinz wrote: »
    Congrats to the Kiwis!!! :D:D:D:D

For a team thought before the tournament to be whipping boys they did extremely well !

Go All-Whites !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

he French upset :mad:the leprechauns with their hand job and brought all that bad luck down on themselves. Cheers for Slovakia!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

World Cup news...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SadieSue

Wait what?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

What a difference a day makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Merched

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

In before the Vuvuz-BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Is it the first time that both finalists from one world cup have gone out at the group stage at the following WC finals?

No, in 1934, Uruguay the 1930 champions refused to travel the World Cup which was held in Italy in reprisal for so little European teams travelling to the 1930 tournament in Uruguay which coincidently Uruguay won defeating Argentina 4-2.

Argentina who were the runners up in the 1930 World Cup were defeated by Sweden 3-2 in their open stage game and subsequently knocked out as the finals had only 16 teams in those days and it was knockout all the way.

I do think hosting the tournament in a neutral continent gives the underdogs a greater fighting chance as we saw in 2002, in Germany 2006 no South American team even made it to the Semi-Finals and only Argentina and Brazil made it to the Quarter Finals. I don't think we see the World Cup Trophy back in Europe again until 2018 at the earliest, which will give England their best chance at winning as they will more than likely be hosting it as two World Cups will have passed without it being held in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Demonon

There's always a few surprises in the group stages, but the knockout stages always sort the men from the boys. No team other than Italy, France, Brazil, Argentina, Germany has won the WC in the last 40 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Demonon

And the only non-previous WC winning team that has a chance of winning is Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Lippi the sorelosing git. See him walk straight off down the tunnel? Bollix. As bad as Domenech.

Why did he do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

dolliemix wrote: »
    Why did he do that?

Cause his team played crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Demonon wrote: »
    And the only non-previous WC winning team that has a chance of winning is Spain.

They'll be eliminated. It'll be an all-South American Semi-Final line-up. Jeez, that's a lot of hyphens.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭wanrek

Who knows the Italian for "ahh bollox" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

wanrek wrote: »

ahh Luigi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

wanrek wrote: »

Porca vacca!

(not literal translation, but thats one way to curse fate)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That was much more satisfying than France crashing out, if only cos the game was so much fun. That and I hate the Italian football mentality.

mike65 wrote: »
    That was much more satisfying than France crashing out, if only cos the game was so much fun. That and I hate the Italian football mentality.

And in that spirit fingers crossed England lose to Germany on Sunday so once again good football can be the winner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oooh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

football is south american, now

moonpurple wrote: »
    football is south american, now

No surprise really. For instance, no European country has ever won the WC when the tournament was held outside of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm hoping Japan win this one.. RTE should be showing the Netherlands game though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Mick Daly

I'm hoping Japan win this one.. RTE should be showing the Netherlands game though

Why?

Netherlands are through. Cameroon are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I'm up for Japan too! Better that RTE are showing this one cos it decides 2nd place in group. I'd love to see Cameroon win that match against Holland - not likely though.

Good to see Ardiles actually knowing something about one of the 'lesser known teams', when he spoke about Japan. Makes a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Holy crap.. what a goal!

.. RTE should be showing the Netherlands game though

Meh doubt Netherlands are going to bother too much with that match, and Cameroon are gone no matter what. The real fireworks is going to happen here.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYO GOAL BLUE SAMURAI!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

lovely goal

Advertisement