Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Live In Running World Cup Thread for After Hours.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Fair play to the Japs!:)

Aye. :p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Imagine the crazy assed comics they're going to make about this.

Here's an interview with Tiago after the N. Korea game:
    "It is a really tough political regime, I know that, but we are footballers and we give our best in each match," said Tiago.

"I am sad for the North Korean players, because it is not easy when you concede so many goals, but we did our best to first win and if possible to score a lot of goals."

Tiago, who won the inaugural Europa League trophy last term with Atletico, also revealed that Portuguese captain Cristiano Ronaldo had made a touching gesture after the Real Madrid star had been named man of the match against the North Koreans.

"It was a really nice gesture by Cristiano Ronaldo which I had not been expecting," said Tiago, who numbers Chelsea and French side Lyon among his former clubs.

"When I got back to the dressing room, I saw the man of the match trophy in my place and he told me he had put it there because I deserved it more than he did.

"That was a really good thing the captain did and it really touched me to the bottom of my heart. It is not every day that one gets such an award."

Tiago said that he would rather not face European champions Spain in the second round - which they would if the Portuguese were to finish second in their group and Spain top it or vice versa if they were to edge Brazil in the group and the Spanish finish runners-up in theirs.

"I would prefer not to. Truthfully, Spain is a superb team, but for the moment our sole interest is to beat Brazil (in their final group match on Friday) and finish top of the group. After that we will see.

"We want to finish top of what is a very strong and difficult group.

"In the final match, our destiny is in our hands. We are going into the match with Brazil with the intention of winning and finishing top of our group."

Brazil need just a point to finish top of the group while Portugal have to beat them to top it - Ivory Coast have to beat North Korea by a huge scoreline and Portugal lose if the African side are to snatch second spot.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hLp16cSVpn8swpFaEi56bKObKvdA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Where were Suzuki, Kawasaki and Toyota?

Suzuki called it a day 5 years ago, Kawasaki never really made the grade and Toyoda also fell short of the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Oh God I really hope that Ivory Coast don't beat the North Koreans by a huge scoreline. That second half was painful to watch, especially as NK had done so well in the first half. I want to see North Korea - Ivory Coast 2-0
    Brazil - Portugal 8-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Mick Daly

I hope Cristiano Ronaldo has a good game and Portugal win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

bonerm wrote: »
    Suzuki called it a day 5 years ago, Kawasaki never really made the grade and Toyoda also fell short of the squad.

Yeah but Matsui make cheap stereos right?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

javaboy wrote: »
    Yeah but Matsui make cheap stereos right?

Sterotype post?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

nocal wrote: »
    The South American flair of Paraguay? I reckon Honda will run rings around them. He was epic this evening.
    It must be great fun supporting Japan and shouting "On yer bike Honda" every time he gets the ball :p

Worth watching for the different styles of football.*

*Nothing to do with the beautiful Paraguayan or Japanese wimminz.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Are the North korea team home yet?

They will be turned into pet food for kims kitteh before they get off the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

snyper wrote: »
    Are the North korea team home yet?

They have a fixture to fulfill tomorrow.

• Advertisement

I'm getting a bit sick of the World Cup at this stage. I've seen nearly every game & it's all pretty much the same.... 11 players on each team, one ball, someone scores, someone else scores, sometimes no-one scores. It's boring.

FIFA need to liven it up - introduce 2 balls, or have one team with 20 players against another team with 4 players. At least there'd be more goals & it'd be more random.

I'm getting a bit sick of the World Cup at this stage. I've seen nearly every game & it's all pretty much the same.... 11 players on each team, one ball, someone scores, someone else scores, sometimes no-one scores. It's boring.

FIFA need to liven it up - introduce 2 balls, or have one team with 20 players against another team with 4 players. At least there'd be more goals & it'd be more random.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I think a bazooka and maybe a couple of hidden mines would liven up the place. Maybe some all terrain vehicles instead of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Useless bit of trivia:

If Cote d'Ivoire beat NKR and Brazil beat Portugal by a combined goal difference of ten goals then the Ivory Coast and the Gold Coast will be the only two African countries to advance.

bonerm wrote: »

"You do the football, we'll do the beer"

Eh, no thanks Budweiser, we'll do the football & you can stick your excuse for beer back up the japs eye that you pissed it out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Isn't that what the yanks tried to do in 94?:D

Seriously someone told me when they had the world cup over there, there was talk of introducing quarters instead of just half time. Obviously fifa stepped in & said feck off.
    Could be bullsh!t.

Isn't that what the yanks tried to do in 94?:D

Seriously someone told me when they had the world cup over there, there was talk of introducing quarters instead of just half time. Obviously fifa stepped in & said feck off.
    Could be bullsh!t.

It's true - they wanted to break the games up into 15 minute segments to allow for TV advertisements. FIFA wouldn't allow it (of course) & instead they settled for advertisement banners at the bottome of the screen (1/3rd of the way up!) which ran all the way through the 90 minutes.

My brother was in the US at the time & said it was a headwreck watching the games. They also had "information" programmes before the games to explain to the yanks what the hell this "soccer thang" was all about.

I wonder if there is any truth in the rumour that the Jubilani - the new World Cup ball, and apparently the roundest ball in football's history - was based on the shape of Liam Brady's head?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Thats a terrible thing to say.....about that football.

Don't think a football shaped like a spud would work TBH.

20% more part of title removed. Javaboy will not be happy.
    You know we can add polls to these threads?
    I can change them every day and people can vote anew on each poll.
    The only caveat is that once I put on a poll, any poll, the thread will have to have a poll forever.
    I could put up a poll to see if we want a poll on the thread if you'd like?

Good idea. Can we start with "What is roundier?"

A - The Jubilani

or

B - Liam Brady's head

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

I think AH has officially adopted Japan as its new WC team.

Since Spain is gone from the thread title, you could add a bit of Japan to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I see the :eek:Daily Mail:eek: has done a Godwin on the German team, and also makes out that half the team wouldn't have been eligible to play for Germany, had they used the old entitlement rules.:o

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1289389/World-Cup-2010-England-vs-Germany-new-citizens-make-rivals-team.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I see the :eek:Daily Mail:eek: has done a Godwin on the German team, and also makes out that half the team wouldn't have been eligible to play for Germany, had they used the old entitlement rules.:o

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1289389/World-Cup-2010-England-vs-Germany-new-citizens-make-rivals-team.html

Who would have thought the Daily Mail could be so one-sided about something?

ejmaztec wrote: »

Perhaps we could do the same thing for England. Pick an "Enoch Powell XI"

Flabby Chin Giles on the Panel today with Ronnie Whelan.

Portugal - Brazil.

I wonder what this match will be like. They're both through. Even if Ivory Coast beat North Korea,and Portugal lose, Portugal will get through on goal difference.

I think Portugal are hugely cocky and it does my head in so I want to see Brazil win convincingly.

In the other match I really want to see North Korea get a win - for their own safety!

I want to see Ronaldo having a fantastic game. I hope Portugal beat up Brazil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Mick Daly wrote: »
    Flabby Chin Giles on the Panel today with Ronnie Whelan.

Gilesy is a hero - leave his chin alone!

lol! We're complete opposites then. I love Johnny Giles. And c'mon Brazil! Don't think the panel are hugely endeared towards Portugal either. Johhny doesn't like the comments Portuguese manager was making before the match :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

perhaps this will be the first good game of the world cup?

Advertisement