Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Live In Running World Cup Thread for After Hours.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

No, I didn't predict it but it wasn't much of a shock. I did think Germany would win but not by 4 goals.

Im surprised they lost by that margin to be honest.

Anytime germany got near the argies peno box they were lethal. Look at how many stray shots on goal argentina had. Their defense was useless but they all played pretty badly IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

What does the little black kid with no shirt shout out at the start of the World Cup TV intro?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Maybe poor old Maradona was a little bit too laid back at training! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Why are all of Spain games boring as ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I think its been a good game so far.. well, not bad for a nil all draw anyway =p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

What a wasted opportunity for Paraguay, now a peno for spain :pac:

This is an unreal game.. edge of the seat stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Do you what to change your mind that it is boring :D

Saibh wrote: »

I suppose.....very dramatic stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Unreal, 2 peno's saved and one scored but ruled out!

• Advertisement

Saibh wrote: »

Apart from that 3 minutes this game is boring

Germany are going to rip Spain apart

Germany are going to rip Spain apart

I hope so

Both goalies are captains and both saved a penalty.. I wonder if that's ever happened before..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

that ref was awful for the penalties. Paraguay's should have definitly been re-taken, far more encroachment than the Spanish one had. And missing the blatant foul on the re-bound too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

that ref was awful for the penalties. Paraguay's should have definitly been re-taken, far more encroachment than the Spanish one had. And missing the blatant foul on the re-bound too...

Different linesman for Paraguays penalty...I reckon thats the only reason. You're right about the blatant foul for the Spanish one though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jul/03/fifa-may-extend-luis-suarez-ban

Quote from Suarez:

"The 'Hand of God' now belongs to me. Mine is the real 'Hand Of God'. I made the best save of the tournament."

Hero... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

True, but in the end, they balanced each other out, so it was no biggy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Venue: Cape Town

Date: Tuesday, 6 July 2010

Kick-off: 1930 BST

TEAM NEWS

Uruguay will definitely be without suspended duo Luis Suarez and Jorge Fucile. Suarez was sent off for handling Dominic Adiyiah's goal-bound header in the quarter-final win over Ghana, while Fucile earned his second yellow card of the tournament in that match. Creative midfielder Nicolas Lodeiro has been ruled out of the tournament with a broken foot, while captain Diego Lugano is struggling with a knee injury.

Netherlands striker Robin van Persie has been cleared to face Uruguay following a hospital scan on an elbow injury. Defender Joris Mathijsen will also return from a knee injury. Gregory van der Wiel and Nigel de Jong are suspended.
    MATCH PREVIEW

The winners of the first-ever World Cup take on the nation many believe to be the best never to have won football's biggest prize, in an intriguing semi-final clash in Cape Town.

So often dismissed as football's biggest chokers, the Netherlands' dream of a first world title is within their grasp. This may not be the most spectacular Dutch side in recent memory, but it is the most effective. Friday's quarter-final victory over Brazil saw Bert van Marwijk's side extend their record unbeaten run to 24 matches. They have won all five of their games in South Africa, beating their previous best run of four consecutive wins at the 1974 finals.

That was the year the Dutch introduced Total Football to the world stage, opening the tournament with a 2-0 victory over Uruguay in West Germany. The Netherlands cruised to the final, only to stumble at the final hurdle against the hosts. Four years later it was a similar story as Argentina denied them again. The Dutch were the first European settlers in South Africa - will they be the first team to book their place in the 2010 World Cup final?

The glory years of Uruguayan football were a fast-fading memory before Oscar Tabarez's side arrived in South Africa. Winners in 1930 and 1950, La Celeste's last semi-final was 40 years ago and they have only appeared in two of the last five World Cups. But under Tabarez, who also steered them to the last 16 in 1990 in his first stint as coach, Uruguay have been rejuvenated.
    MATCH FACTS
    Head-to-head

- The Dutch beat the Uruguayans 2-0 in their opening game at the 1974 World Cup. Johnny Rep scored both goals, while Uruguay had Juan Montero Castillo sent off. Diego Forlan's father, Pablo, played in the match.

- The only other meeting since then was a friendly in Montevideo in 1980 that the home side won 2-0.

- Uruguay also beat the Dutch on the way to winning Olympic gold in 1924 and 1928.
    Uruguay

- Uruguay are in the World Cup semi-finals for the first time since 1970, when they lost 3-1 to Brazil.

- They have conceded only two goals in five games in South Africa.

- Uruguay are unbeaten in their last seven World Cup games, including their last two group matches in 2002 (which were both drawn).

- They won the tournament in 1930 and 1950, though the second of their triumphs did not come in an orthodox "final". Instead they competed in a four-team group stage, overtaking Brazil with victory against their South American rivals in the final game.
    Netherlands

- The Netherlands have won five consecutive World Cup matches for the first time. This beats their previous best run of four in 1974, when they reached the final.

- Van Marwijk's side are on a 24-match unbeaten run, a record for the Dutch. Their last defeat was in September 2008 (a 2-1 loss to Australia in Eindhoven).

- They have won each of their last three matches 2-1.

- Wesley Sneijder has scored six goals in his last seven internationals.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/matches/match_61/default.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

frantic190 wrote: »
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jul/03/fifa-may-extend-luis-suarez-ban

Quote from Suarez:

"The 'Hand of God' now belongs to me. Mine is the real 'Hand Of God'. I made the best save of the tournament."

Hero... :D
    Every bit as bad as Henry vs. Ireland, yet you have Eamon Dunphy on saying what Suarez did was not cheating?:rolleyes: Hypocrite!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I think they're different things but I do see your point his illegal handling of the ball kicked Ghana out. That's the simplified version....
    However, last minute extra time and he's on the line and the ball is past the keeper. Yer man headers from inside what, 4 yards?
    The keeper lunges, the other defender lunges and so does he.
    I don't know but I think it was just instinct. And then he gets sent off and they get a penalty. I reckon many people would have done the same in that situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

walshb wrote: »
    Every bit as bad as Henry vs. Ireland, yet you have Eamon Dunphy on saying what Suarez did was not cheating?:rolleyes: Hypocrite!

It's just a natural extension of the typical committing a tackle where you know you're going to give away a free-kick or get booked because in the overall scheme of the game it's a relatively small price to pay.

If you're not a fan of this sort of "cheating" then I'd say go support North Korea who played the majority of their 3 games with a fair spirit (not dropping for fouls, not going into tackles that couldn't be won etc) and got their asses handed to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

COME ON THE URUGUAY!

Dress it up whatever way you want. The guy DELIBERATELY handled a ball preventing a goal. That is blatant cheating, no different than Henry.

You should read Mondays Star article with Andy Gray. It's comical. He is angry that Suarez
    is being branded a cheat, and then goes on to start saying "I cheated all through my playing career." Isn't that what we're saying Andy, the guy cheated...:confused:

He says, "If you are intentionally breaking the rules and hoping to get away with it, then
    you're cheating." So, Andy, why are you aghast and upset at Suarez being branded a cheat?:rolleyes:

I also fail to see any correlation with committing a tackle/foul and preventing
    a ball crossing the line for a goal? Goal line cheating is
    different than say "fouling, handling ball in midfield, diving in midfield."

Suarez goal line cheated, so did Henry.

The sport stinks of cheating, it's disgusting!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I hope to see some total football from the Hollandlands tonight.

Suarez goal line cheated, so did Henry.

Nobody's saying he didn't cheat. It's clear as day that he did. What's at issue is whether he should have cheated & accepted the consequences or played fair and let that ball sail into the net. I am on the side that thinks he made the correct choice.

bonerm wrote: »
    Nobody's saying he didn't cheat. It's clear as day that he did. What's at issue is whether he should have cheated & accepted the consequences or played fair and let that ball sail into the net. I am on the side that thinks he made the correct choice.

Ok, but so did Henry make the right choice, if that is how it could go. He was branded a disgusting cheat, yet Dunphy didn't consider Suarez a cheat? There is a real lack of consistency here, hypocrisy!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

bonerm wrote: »
    Nobody's saying he didn't cheat.

On the contrary some people are saying exactly that. In fact someone claimed on this thread that there is actually no such thing as cheating when it comes to on the field action.

People have lost sight of what sport is supposed to be about. I know it's naive to think that it shouldn't happen and that there's too much money involved in the game for it not to but when people who claim to be fans of the game are actually accepting this and worse, applauding it, something has gone seriously wrong.

Cheating's cheating.

Ok, but so did Henry make the right choice, if that is how it could go. He was branded a disgusting cheat, yet Dunphy didn't consider Suarez a cheat? There is a real lack of consistency here, hypocrisy!

.... and I'm sure Suarez would be wise to never set foot in Ghana anytime for the rest of it's life. I can't imagine he'll ever be forgiven there for what he did. It's just national bias.

(Henry did make the right choice. He got his side to the world cup. Tho in retrospect it might have been the wrong choice as it would have probably been better for all concerned had France failed to qualify)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

right now im over the moon with this world cup,put a few quid on germany to be the winners of the tournament..,come sunday fingers crossed i will be vey happy!!!!:D

Advertisement