Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Live In Running World Cup Thread for After Hours.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭vodafoneproblem

The obvious answer for cases like Suarez is to allow the ref award a goal, just like the penalty try concept in rugby. Only giving a penalty is not justice, because you're changing what was a certain goal into a maybe/maybe not goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

javaboy wrote: »
    On the contrary some people are saying exactly that. In fact someone claimed on this thread that there is actually no such thing as cheating when it comes to on the field action.

People have lost sight of what sport is supposed to be about. I know it's naive to think that it shouldn't happen and that there's too much money involved in the game for it not to but when people who claim to be fans of the game are actually accepting this and worse, applauding it, something has gone seriously wrong.

Cheating's cheating.

I'm not condoning it but i can understand why he done it. In the heat of the moment his natural instinct was to save his team at any cost. He knew he would be sent off(which he was) and that a penalty would be given. When Henry handled the ball he done it in a crowded area hoping/knowing that the refs view would be obstructed.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

bonerm wrote: »
    .... and I'm sure Suarez would be wise to never set foot in Ghana anytime for the rest of it's life. I can't imagine he'll ever be forgiven there for what he did. It's just national bias.

(Henry did make the right choice. He got his side to the world cup. Tho in retrospect it might have been the wrong choice as it would have probably been better for all concerned had France failed to qualify)

We are on the same page here. I am not saying Henry didn't make the right choice (for him), my whole gripe is that the choice was disgusting, cheating and should never ever be condoned or justified. If it was an Irish person, I would not be celebrating and cheering.

If we are ranting and raving about cheating Henry, as Dunphy was, how can he then
    defend Suarez, and not label him a cheat, a disgrace and a let down to the sport?

The biggest problem in society today is a lack of standards, class and manners. This is across the whole spectrum.

Soccer will never change until those supporting it refuse to accept the lack
    of fairness and standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

super-rush wrote: »
    I'm not condoning it but i can understand why he done it. In the heat of the moment his natural instinct was to save his team at any cost. He knew he would be sent off(which he was) and that a penalty would be given. When Henry handled the ball he done it in a crowded area hoping/knowing that the refs view would be obstructed.

I know. And Owen was a hero for diving against Argentina for a peno. I understand why they do it and in some cases it's all down to instinct and adrenaline. It's more the celebration of cheating that bothers me tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

walshb wrote: »
    We are on the same page here. I am not saying Henry didn't make the right choice (for him), my whole gripe is that the choice was disgusting, cheating and should never ever be condoned or justified. If it was an Irish person, I would not be celebrating and cheering.

If we are ranting and raving about cheating Henry, as Dunphy was, how can he then
    defend Suarez, and not label him a cheat, a disgrace and a let down to the sport?

The biggest problem in society today is a lack of standards, class and manners. This is across the whole spectrum.

Soccer will never change until those supporting it refuse to accept the lack
    of fairness and standards.

In fairness who gives a crap what Dunphy says. He's a professional shít-stirrer and has been caught out contradicting himself numerous times over the years. I don't see why it should be any different in this case and I certainly don't take anything he says seriously.

I'd prefer for there to be no cheating in football, but if I had the choice between "cheating" and sacrificing myself so that my team could win a world cup and not "cheating" I would take former choice every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

The only difference between Henry and Suárez is that the Uruguayan was caught and punished to the extent allowed by the laws of the game. In a situation like that, there should be the facility to award a goal. By cheating, he added an element of chance to the proceedings, whereas otherwise it was a 100% goal. This sort of cheating has really turned me off soccer in the last few years, and the more it continues to be glorified, the more the non-hardcore fans will (should) begin to disappear. This needs to be addressed. 6 months to a year of a ban for trying to mislead the referee. 2nd offence is a lifetime ban. Players wouldn't go down so easy anymore, they wouldn't handball on the goal line.

Even if you compare Suarez to Kewell. Kewell knew **** all about it, but still prevented a goal with his hand. Red card and a penalty. Suarez willing cheated, red card and a goal. It's simple, and it works in other sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard Noggin

I would have done the very same thing in Suarez's situation. He suffered the consequences,a red card and a penalty. I imagine every player would have done what he did in the heat of the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

tolosenc wrote: »
    The only difference between Henry and Suárez is that the Uruguayan was caught and punished to the extent allowed by the laws of the game. In a situation like that, there should be the facility to award a goal. By cheating, he added an element of chance to the proceedings, whereas otherwise it was a 100% goal. This sort of cheating has really turned me off soccer in the last few years, and the more it continues to be glorified, the more the non-hardcore fans will (should) begin to disappear. This needs to be addressed. 6 months to a year of a ban for trying to mislead the referee. 2nd offence is a lifetime ban. Players wouldn't go down so easy anymore, they wouldn't handball on the goal line.

Even if you compare Suarez to Kewell. Kewell knew **** all about it, but still prevented a goal with his hand. Red card and a penalty. Suarez willing cheated, red card and a goal. It's simple, and it works in other sports.

WTF?!?!?! 6 month & lifetime bans?

I'm stunned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

It's the only deterrent. So what if you miss the next match? If you're jeapordising your career, maybe you'll think twice.

It's sad that it's necessary. But it is.

Is it cheating if you know you're going to be caught?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Its the original definition of taking one for the team.

be strange if they beat the Netherlands tonight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

tolosenc wrote: »
    It's the only deterrent. So what if you miss the next match? If you're jeapordising your career, maybe you'll think twice.

It's sad that it's necessary. But it is.

It'll never happen. Can you imagine the EPL banning a top star FOR LIFE for a couple of dives or handballs? The money behind the game would never stand for it. If your rules came in the EPL would secede, or be expelled, from FIFA. The other big continental leagues would follow suit and FIFA would cease to exist.

People need to get over themselves as regards cheating (if what Suarez did is even that). It happens. In all walks of human life. Give the red card and the penalty and the one match ban and get on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

No. Cheating is a term of moral indignation used by people to express their feelings about what they believe is something more than it is.

If you play football, you play by the rules of the game. If you break the rules, you either commit a foul or an act of unsporting behaviour. Both are forms of rule breaking, so regardless of whether it is a kick to an opposing player's ankle, a shirt pull, a high tackle, a dive, or a handball - they are all forms of rule breaking, regardless of whether they are pre-meditated or not.

Football is a simple game with simple rules - to bring morals or semantics into it, simply demeans the sport, even more so than the alleged "cheating" accusations.

The one thing that would greatly improve the sport however, would be video technology, as human error by the officials, is quite often a very big issue & can decide the outcome of games, often to the detriment of many teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Wow, what a goal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Amazing shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

What a strike!

Not the first time for that bastid either! :mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIdPbNzMbzw&#t=5m15s

de Zeeuw got knocked the fcuk out!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Goal of the World Cup for me anyway.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

de Zeeuw got knocked the fcuk out!

did anyone else do the Street Fighter II knockout sound when he fell in slo - mo?

Or is it just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

did anyone else do the Street Fighter II knockout sound when he fell in slo - mo?

Or is it just me.

Just you, but when i see a replay of it i wont be able to stop myself,thanks :pac:

f*ck me Forlan just equalised. Now its a game!

Oh that was weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Bad from the keeper, but credit where its due for Forlan.

Forlan is a goal machine.. I don't know why United ever sold him

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That one wasn't too bad either.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Chasing Dreams

'Keeper should have done better, to be fair. Great strike though!

Game on, come on Uruguay!

FaceKicker is having a great game for Uruguay so far.

• Advertisement

Van Bronkhorst should have handled that.

Advertisement