Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Live In Running World Cup Thread for After Hours.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Had 0-0 in the Germany match.

Haven't got one bet up the whole tournament :rolleyes:

Think I'll just watch the final and not have a bet :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Haven't got one bet up the whole tournament :rolleyes:

Think I'll just watch the final and not have a bet :o

Bet on the Netherlands, please.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

tolosenc wrote: »
    Holland should finally win it this year. Spain are hugely overrated. If Mueller had played, it'd be a different result...

Holland are good at kicking the opponents, but I think Spain are better ball players! Spain to win!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

did a double with holland and spain to win so made 50 on that

i also did correct score in the holland game at 7 to 1,man how i wish ihad done a tribe i would be up a hell of a lot more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    I think most people had such high hopes for Spain to set this tournament alight. I can not actually remember how good Spain's performance was at the Euros,

They didn't set the Euros alight either - they'd an easy enough group stage, beat Italy on penalties to play Russia in the semis. They hammered the Russians, then played Gemany in the final, beating them with an early enough goal in the first half.

What they did do however, was win all their matches & did so efficiently, with some excellent passing & a lot of hard work and took their chances when they could - much like they've done so far in the World Cup.

As a team, they gel more than most international teams - possibly, in part because 5 of their first team players are also first team players from Barcelona, with David Villa about to be the 6th.

In many ways, they play like Barcelona - keeping the ball well & working hard when they don't have it.

I'm really looking forward to the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Their work when they didn't have the ball tonight was far better, well barring the Portugal game. I think there was an element of underestimating the other teams they played. None of that tonight.

The Germans just didn't the same amount of chances to do what they did against England and Argentina. Couple of refereeing decisions went against them, but thems the breaks. Spain just suffocate teams with the possession football.

Holland have the grafters to cause Spain bother thought. Kuyt especially, will love this match.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I don't think Spain have a hope of winning the World Cup. If they are lucky, they'll get Argentina in the Semis & jam it into the final, but if they get there, there's no way on earth that they'll beat Brazil.

The only team I could possibly see beating Brazil is Germany. Having said that, I'm not convinced they'll make it all the way as a lot of their players are lacking the experience it takes to win a tournament like this. They do however, without doubt, have the skill & set-up to do so.
    They didn't set the Euros alight either - they'd an easy enough group stage, beat Italy on penalties to play Russia in the semis. They hammered the Russians, then played Gemany in the final, beating them with an early enough goal in the first half.

What they did do however, was win all their matches & did so efficiently, with some excellent passing & a lot of hard work and took their chances when they could - much like they've done so far in the World Cup.

As a team, they gel more than most international teams - possibly, in part because 5 of their first team players are also first team players from Barcelona, with David Villa about to be the 6th.

In many ways, they play like Barcelona - keeping the ball well & working hard when they don't have it.

I'm really looking forward to the final.

So you're changing your mind now? I'm quoting you only because your first quote was a reply to a post I made, where I said Spain would get to the final.

<Ollie> wrote: »
    So you're changing your mind now?

:D

<Ollie> wrote: »
    So you're changing your mind now? I'm quoting you only because your first quote was a reply to a post I made, where I said Spain would get to the final.

Missed your edit there... turns out that you were right. It's not the first time I've had to eat my words on matters footballing, which is why I steer well clear of the bookies!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Van Bommel will be licking his lips. Dirty cúnt. Hopefully the ref will see him for what he is.

Incidentally, has the referee been announced yet? Wouldn't be surprised if Howard Webb got the gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Incidentally, has the referee been announced yet? Wouldn't be surprised if Howard Webb got the gig.

No word of it yet. They should've picked that Uzbeki chap. He and his pals have had a good tournament. Having said that they weren't great in the Netherlands Uruguay game

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Van Bommel will be licking his lips. Dirty cúnt. Hopefully the ref will see him for what he is.

He'd actually probably do a good job too, seeing as there's no United players involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

yes, an english team has reached the finals, a team of referees that is

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

irish-stew wrote: »
    yes, an english team has reached the finals, a team of referees that is

Its not too bad for the English, their angling team won the World Champinoships a couple of weeks ago, actually it was the same day the Germans stuffed them.(Ireland won an individual silver medal for the second year running, well done Cathal ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭gingelion

So, for my 40/1 bet to work out I need the Dutch to win and Van persie to score at least 4 more goals. I think i can kiss that money goodbye, yeah?

gingelion wrote: »
    So, for my 40/1 bet to work out I need the Dutch to win and Van persie to score at least 4 more goals. I think i can kiss that money goodbye, yeah?

Barring a small miracle, I would imagine so!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭gingelion

Well then, Robin Van Persie is a spa. You heard it here first.

I'll still put a tenner on him for top scorer in prem.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Chasing Dreams

I hope the Spanish win, they deserve it in my opinion.

Also, a nice bit of trivia. Should Spain win, who will be the only nation to have remained undefeated during this World Cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Also, a nice bit of trivia. Should Spain win, who will be the only nation to have remained undefeated during this World Cup?

New Zealand. They should be declared World #1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Ah the lilly whites, 3 well deserved draws. excellent question, fair play!

• Advertisement

i hope they win as well, i will finish 49c up for my WC gambling pot

although hate to break it to ya, they lost to the swiss one nill in the first round

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

irish-stew wrote: »
    i hope they win as well, i will finish 49c up for my WC gambling pot

although hate to break it to ya, they lost to the swiss one nill in the first round

;)

Think that's what he meant!

If Holland win, they will be only the second team ever to win all Qualifying and World Cup games. Brazil in 1970 is the other team.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Think that's what he meant!

If Holland win, they will be only the second team ever to win all Qualifying and World Cup games. Brazil in 1970 is the other team.

opps, sorry chasing dreams, misread that

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Don't know who to shout for:confused:

the spanish are cruel to animals> bullfighting, bullruns, throwing goats off towers etc

the dutch on the other hand can be very cocky & arrogant

mmmmmmm help me decide:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

fryup wrote: »

the spanish are cruel to animals> bullfighting, bullruns, throwing goats off towers etc

That has Sfa to do with football?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

fryup wrote: »

the dutch on the other hand can be very cocky & arrogant

Yeah, I think you're looking for the World Civilised Societies Cup thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

But the netherlands have won all their matches so far, including qualifiers.

Should they win they will be only the second country in world cup history to achieve a perfect world cup campaign. The first being Brazil in 1970.

In addition i will be up almost €200 as I backed them before the WC started

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Spain lost to Switzerland in the first game of the groups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Chasing Dreams

orourkeda wrote: »
    But the netherlands have won all their matches so far, including qualifiers.

Should they win they will be only the second country in world cup history to achieve a perfect world cup campaign. The first being Brazil in 1970.

I'm talking about at this World Cup finals only, and I said should Spain win, which would leave New Zealand as the only unbeaten team.
    Spain lost to Switzerland in the first game of the groups

I know. The answer is New Zealand, not Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

gingelion wrote: »

Well, all you need is v.Persie to score 4, and the other will fall into place, tbh...

Advertisement