Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Live In Running World Cup Thread for After Hours.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Why do North Korea allow a team to take part in intrenational sporting events and then ban anyone from watching it on TV?

North Korea will be interesting to watch if only for the fact they made a **** up with the team selection and have one of their strikers as the goalkeeper :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Neberkenezer

the 1-0 lead is a dangerous one,even though argentina are the better team,you just never know... could get done by a set piece

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Doesn't sound as if there's as many duck-hunters at this match.. maybe I'm just getting used to the sound =/
    DarkJager wrote: »
    North Korea will be interesting to watch if only for the fact they made a **** up with the team selection and have one of their strikers as the goalkeeper :D

lmao, probably on purpose so as they don't get the world's attention

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Doesn't sound as if there's as many duck-hunters at this match.. maybe I'm just getting used to the sound =/

Its still there. Its so annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Its still there. Its so annoying.

I'm hoping it won't be as bad for the England match, apparently there are a high percentage of English and American fans in SA, which will hopefully mean less South Africans in the stadium. Hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

that fella in orange is pretty usless, dont think he has touched the ball yet

and whats steven hawkins doing there

:D

com, on, you, boys in green

Whats that whistling sound, never heard that at any of the matches before

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Hope this is Kosher here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2010/7719050/Chinese-actors-to-cheer-for-North-Korea-during-World-Cup.html
    Chinese actors to cheer for North Korea during World Cup

Chinese actors and musicians are going to the World Cup to cheer for North Korea, after China itself failed to qualify for the tournament.

By Malcolm Moore in Shanghai
    Published: 12:36PM BST 13 May 2010

The North Korean team has qualified for the World Cup for only the second time, and is hoping to replicate the surprise it sprang on the 1966 tournament in England when its team knocked out Italy and reached the quarter finals.

This time, however, the North Koreans have been drawn into a ‘group of death’ alongside Brazil, Portugal and the Ivory Coast, and the country’s leaders have appealed for support.

Since virtually no one in North Korea can afford to travel to South Africa, or obtain a visa, the Beijing office of the North Korean Sports Committee has begun to give out tickets to Chinese fans.
    So far, a group of around 1,000 Chinese fans, including a group of actors and musicians who have been sent to cheer China in previous World Cup tournaments, will attend the games against Brazil and Portugal to cheer on their North Korean cousins, according to Xinhua, the government-run news agency.
    “It is very possible that China will support North Korea in the World Cup,” said Nick Bonner, whose company, Koryo, produced a documentary about the exploits of the 1966 North Korean team and has just released a North Korean football film called Centre Forward. “As Mao Tsetung once said: ‘The Chinese and the North Korean are as close as lips and teeth’,” he added.
    The North Korean team, which was hugely defensive in its qualification campaign, has already departed for its training camp in Switzerland.
    The star of the team is likely to be Hong Yong-jo, a striker who plays for FC Rostow in the Russian Premier League.
    Pundits have said the team is likely to defend stolidly and hope to catch teams on the break.
    “They train like a military troop. As a result, their stamina is probably the best in the world,” said Taewoon Park, “I’ve just got back from Pyongyang a couple of days ago and the North Koreans I spoke to were acutely aware that they have been picked into a difficult group,” said Mr Bonner.
    “But as one North Korean friend told me, they have a saying there: ‘Over the mountains, there are mountains’.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

do you people ever stop talking about the cricket world cup on here :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Absurdum wrote: »
    do you people ever stop talking about the cricket world cup on here :rolleyes:

You didn't have to reply you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Probability of All Look The Same Anyway comment: high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

go on the north korea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I'm hoping they get to the finals and end up vs South Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Are they still hiring?

If NK allowed their supporters to follow the team to SA, few, if any, would return home!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Did ye see one of the NK players at national anthem? He was in hysterics crying. I dont know was it the same guy who challenged his citizenship - changing from his south (as his parents wished) to north korea so he could play soccer for them

Personally after they're decent display tonight I have finally found a team worth following in this otherwise sh!te tournament. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Was a good game. They certainly done themselves proud, even though Brazil were pretty crap

footy talk :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

SeaFields wrote: »

Personally after they're decent display tonight I have finally found a team worth following in this otherwise sh!te tournament. :)

You'll be joining the guy from Portsmouth who is following NK down in South Africa and who dreams of seeing them play in Pyongyang. He watched them play the Saudi's in Riyadh and was their only supporter there!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

footy talk :eek:
    SMITE THEM!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Is it too late to jump on the N.Korea bandwagon? After tonight me rikey.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

bonerm wrote: »
    Is it too late to jump on the N.Korea bandwagon? After tonight me rikey.

If you jump on, you'll never be able to jump off or they'll shoot you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I have been supporting North Korea for a few weeks leading up to the world cup. I even managed to convince a few people of their potential.

If North Korea get out of their group I will win 1250euro, if the reach the final and are beaten I will win 11,250euro. If they win the whole thing, I'll win 41,250euro. I'll be happy if they just get out of their group.

Come on North Korea !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I was wondering where that bunch of NK supporters came from when seen on the tv pictures from the stadium.

They couldn't all have been govt secret agents! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

“But as one North Korean friend told me, they have a saying there: ‘Over the mountains, there are mountains’.”

And we have a saying here.. "Stop talking sh*te, ye bleedin' bollix"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Genrikh Yagoda

I think this says it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Reckon any of the team will try and desert when the tounaments over

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

how will they hear the cheers over the noise of those vuvuvaluzuases ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Reckon any of the team will try and desert when the tounaments over

It took the immigration officers in Australia 3 years to round em up after the Sydney Olympics. But most of these guys play their football in the J league and in Europe.

Advertisement