Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need a Strong wireless adapter

• 11-06-2010 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend one?

We've a desktop a couple of rooms away from our Eircom Netopia modem and the wireless adapter (a 2.0 whatever that means!) for the computer isn't getting us a stable connection, it keeps dropping in and out.

Is there a stronger wireless adapter we can get, or is it the netopia modem thats the problem?

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

It could be that a few of your neighbours are running their wireless networks on the same channel. There's typically between 1 - 14 wireless channels you can run on, and the likes of Eircom set them the same for everyone.

There's an open source program someone recommended on boards before. Inssider Wifi scanner.

Run it on your PC and you can see how many other wireless networks could be conflicting with you. The main thing to look at is list of channel ids on the other wireless networks.
    If a load of neighbours are all running on eg. channel 11, then you are in a noisy wireless environment where you are all causing interference on each others network connections.

Buying a "strong wireless adapter" means your PC will "shout" louder above the noise, but your eircom modem/router is still transmitting at the same level so may not completely solve the problem.

Best case scenario is if you do have neighbours on the same channel.
    You can try setting your eircom modem/router to another channel and which isn't as noisy so your connection will improve.
    Worth doing before buying more kit.
    Ideally choose a channel id at least 3 above or 3 below the neighbours, eg. if they're on 11, you try 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

juanace wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend one?

We've a desktop a couple of rooms away from our Eircom Netopia modem and the wireless adapter (a 2.0 whatever that means!) for the computer isn't getting us a stable connection, it keeps dropping in and out.

Is there a stronger wireless adapter we can get, or is it the netopia modem thats the problem?

Thanks a lot.

Is your current adapter a USB (2.0) adapter?

If so then get a PCI wifi card (assuming you have a free PCI slot). They are infinitely better and have much better antennas for picking up signals.

Even something like this which is nice and cheap will do a much better job than a USB wireless lan stick. I have one and compared to the USB stick I previously had it's brilliant.

If your PC is low to the ground then maybe get a PCI wifi card that has a detachable and extendible antenna which will allow you place the antenna on top of the desktop case.

Alternatively you could also make a Cantenna which do work to a degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

juanace wrote: »
    Maybe look into getting Devolo homeplugs? Use one myself, as the wireless signal from the netopia in the garage doesn't go through the "main" house wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭PrimalTherapy

It could be that a few of your neighbours are running their wireless networks on the same channel.
    excuse me jumping in.When connecting i see neighbours SSID's. Does that mean they are on the same channel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

excuse me jumping in.When connecting i see neighbours SSID's. Does that mean they are on the same channel?

No, it just means that their wireless signals are broadcasting on 2.4GHz. But as mentioned earlier you can use any channel from 1-11 within that spectrum. Usually channels 1, 5, 9 and 11 are good ones to use.

As for the OP problem, you could try switching to a new N-range router with a wireless N-receiver in the desktop PC. The normal Eircom Netopia routers broadcast on G-range which goes up to 100 metres, whereas as the N-range can go up to 300 metres (depending on walls, etc).

Or those Powerline adapters to run the internet signal through your 3-pin mains is another option.

• Advertisement
Advertisement