Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zee old Nikon Lenses, hmm...

• 11-06-2010 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

okies, so I am working over the summer to save up some cash and buy some lenses for next college term and while looking I noticed the seriously low prices of the old standard Nikon Lenses. Even new I can get a 70-300 for under €100 delivered. :eek:
    (btw when I say old I mean the old Tech, the lenses I am looking at are brand new)

So my question, if it worth me just waiting and getting one lens VR1 or VR2 or simply getting all (or most) of the lenses I want and then upgrade as time passes?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what body do you have?
    i assume you've seen this?
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm#dslr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

yeah, the oft-touted maxim that the F-mount hasn't changed in donkeys years and even ancient lenses are completely compatible with modern bodies isn't strictly true. There are a few ... exceptions ...

Though if you have a modern digital body and you're looking at AF,AFD or AFS lenses then the only real compatibility issue you're likely to have to worry about is whether or not AF/AFD lenses will AF on your body.

-edit-

If that D700 that a lot of the shots on your stream were taken with is your body then you've little to worry about in regard to modern lenses. Most older lenses will mount and meter as well, although a quick read through of that compatibility chart is always worth your while once you find out precisely what type of lens it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

what body do you have?
    i assume you've seen this?
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm#dslr

I have a D700 and no, not seen something like that before :) Reading it now

and yea, its not a question of compatibility cause as long as its film or FX I know I am ok for the most part. I am looking at new lenses btw. I am more wondering if its not worth buying the older non VR lenses or will they do just fine for the moment and until I upgrade them as cash comes in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Now it's my understanding that he newer 70-300mm lenses are much better optically than the older 70-300mm.
    I could be wrong, but I have a 70-300mm I bought used for 70euro and images it produces is not as good as I would like.
    The AF is loud.
    Really can't complain though for the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

thanks Slidinginfinity, see thats why I was wondering. Last thing I wanted to do was spend €6-700 on a bunch of lenses and then be sorry I didnt just get one good one

• Advertisement
Advertisement