Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat & sensitive stomach?

Options
  • 11-06-2010 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,517 ✭✭✭

One of our little terrors has always seemed to have a propensity for getting sick.
    Initially we put it down to furballs because she has a longer coat than her brother.
    However, we groom both of them regularly so don't think this is the issue.
    She's got sick a couple of times in the last few days but there doesn't seem to be any issue with her appetite, i.e. she still eats loads and always drinks plenty of water.
    I intend bringing her to the vet anyway but just wonder if any of you pet owners have experienced the same thing with your own cats? I'm wondering if she just has a sensitive stomach and might react badly to the food she eats (Felix wet pouches and Purina dry food).
    Apart from that, she has a nice glossy coat, is full of tricks and doesn't appear to have a care in the world.

Change of diet maybe?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

One of my cats (also long haired actually) gets sick really easily, from tinned food only though. Why don't you try to just feed dry food for a couple of days and see if that works? My cat can eat dry food and meat without getting sick at all. But tinned food will make him sick usually.

Or maybe a different kind of wet food would be better for your cat. I never tried with mine, but we always fed him cheap enough tinned food, supermarket stuff, Whiskas, and all, but never tried an expensive one, just switched to dry food.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Ages ago, my big boy-cat started getting sick quite regularly. After pointless vet visits where they couldn't find anything wrong with him, I finally figured out it was the whiskas pouches he was getting for an evening treat. I had started giving him a whole pouch - previously he had only been given a half-pouch. (They have Royal Canin dry food the rest of the time. )

It could be your Felix pouches. Try cutting them out for a while and see how it goes.

If you decide to change brands of food in case that is the issue, then you'll have to do it gradually as sometimes a change in food can make cats sick too! Sensitive little buggers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,517 ✭✭✭Heroditas

MsFifers wrote: »
    It could be your Felix pouches. Try cutting them out for a while and see how it goes.

Oh dear, that's going to be VERY tough to do!
    They go absolutely mental whenever they even see me take the pouch out of the press! :eek:

Might give it a shot and see how it goes. I have a feeling that it's the dry food that's making her sick though.
    Might try a different one instead for a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Heroditas wrote: »
    Oh dear, that's going to be VERY tough to do!
    They go absolutely mental whenever they even see me take the pouch out of the press! :eek:.

I know! :D What do they put in these pouches? My pair take the hand off me for the Whiskas Oh So Meaty pouches! (He is allowed a half pouch again now and it doesn't make him sick anymore. He was probably just gobbling too fast!)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭muppet_man

Just a thought, is she getting wormed regularly? Worms can give them sensitive tummies too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,517 ✭✭✭Heroditas

muppet_man wrote: »
    Just a thought, is she getting wormed regularly? Worms can give them sensitive tummies too

Actually no, she hasn't been wormed for a while.
    Time to book both of them in for a trip to the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Just a tip, IAMs Hairball Care seems to have really effective results at settling upset tummies, easing both vomiting and diarrhoea. There just seems to be something in the recipe of that one particularly variety by that one particular manufacturer that works well for kitties with the runs and the chucks.

Naturally this shouldn't replace a vet visit if you're really worried, but if you get back and there's nothing else wrong, it could be a useful place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭muppet_man

Heroditas wrote: »
    Actually no, she hasn't been wormed for a while.

Probably need two wrom treatments. One to kill any adults in her system and another in a week to kill any babies.
    Hope she feels better soon.

Advertisement