Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a union

Options
  • 11-06-2010 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,

How would I go about setting up a union in my workplace?

Backround is that management need a large project delivered on an impossible timescale, and the only way I think we can do it is for the staff to act collectively, and demand a large bonus for ontime delivery for all staff involved. This is the only way I can see staff putting in the hours and creativity to get the project done in a very short time. (normally this project would take 2 times as long as we have)

However, mgmt are notoriously tight, and could blame the spokesperson (me). However, if we created a union, they may have to listen and negotiate.

Any takers? I know its a bizarre question.
    M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

What kind of trade/work setting are you based in? How many employees? Does anyone in the company actually feel the same as you?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

are you satisfied that your fellow workers want to join a union? you cant force them to.

Also your employers dont have to acknowledge your union so you can do what you like and demand what you want but they dont have to listen to you.

has your company been usually fair and honest with its dealings with the staff? Are all salaried or hourly waged and what about overtime rates?

can I recommend that you get three/four senior staff members and ask to meet management about this projects and your concerns for it. suggest that a way to get it done on time without any overtime been incurred might be to offer staff a total bonus for getting the project done on time. See how that goes first. it night work better than charging in because you have a union behind you that you will get everything or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You cannot start a union from scratch (which I think is what you are interested in) because of the requirement to register with the LRC, which takes some time and expense. If you operate without being properly registered you leave yourself open to claims for damages.

I do not think your approach is the best one. The management would not necessarily have to negotiate with a union (this is a contentious claim but in the short term, they would be able to avoid it for sure). There is some other good advice here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

MarkZ wrote: »
    Hi,

How would I go about setting up a union in my workplace?

Backround is that management need a large project delivered on an impossible timescale, and the only way I think we can do it is for the staff to act collectively, and demand a large bonus for ontime delivery for all staff involved. This is the only way I can see staff putting in the hours and creativity to get the project done in a very short time. (normally this project would take 2 times as long as we have)

However, mgmt are notoriously tight, and could blame the spokesperson (me). However, if we created a union, they may have to listen and negotiate.

Any takers? I know its a bizarre question.
    M

OK, I come from a management background in a non union company so my perspective is obviously different...But It's probably someone like me you would be dealing with..

Why would everybody be getting bonus for doing their job ??
    If extra hours are required surely OT would be paid to compensate.
    As for the creativity from employees, shouldn't they be putting all into their jobs anyway?
    If a union is seen as the only way this can happen then there is already a problem in the company...

Thats without going down the whole "you should count yourselves lucky to have a job that has a large project to complete", but I wouldn't go there as it would sound condecending and management wouldn't do that. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

bbam wrote: »
    If extra hours are required surely OT would be paid to compensate.

Only if its an hourly rate job. If they are on a salary then you know exactly whats in their contracts "a requirement to work over time can arise and this is expected of the employee" or something to that effect.

In saying that all your other points are valid.

If I was a manager in that situation there would be something in it at the end of the sprint. I'd also be aware that

a) The employees could be right and it might not be possible.
    b) The employees have a tendency to blow things out of proportion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Thanks...
    For salary workers I'd expect time in lieu at 1.5, build it into the holiday bank... Where there is a will there is a way, no need for a union.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Best thing to do is approach an existing union and get them to sign up recruits and start a branch. You can look for recognition from the management after.

Advertisement