Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom vs UPC

• 11-06-2010 2:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,510 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys just a few questions
    does UPC's broadband come into the house through fibre cables, and so does that mean it bypasses the current phone wiring?
    how long would it take to get a router from UPC as i would like to minimise the time between cancelling Eircom and getting UPC in?
    if i am still keeping the eircom phoneline i wouldn't have to pay line rental from UPC just broadband?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Broadband Kid

One basic fact between the two Eircom's contention rate is 48:1 while UPC's contention rate is 12:1 so with UPC you are only sharing you broadband with an other 11 members with Eicom it would be 47 members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Skerries wrote: »
    Hi guys just a few questions
    does UPC's broadband come into the house through fibre cables, and so does that mean it bypasses the current phone wiring?
    how long would it take to get a router from UPC as i would like to minimise the time between cancelling Eircom and getting UPC in?
    if i am still keeping the eircom phoneline i wouldn't have to pay line rental from UPC just broadband?

No, it doesn't - the broadband comes into the house through co-axial cable (the fibre cable is only as far as the cabinet).

It doesn't use the existing Eircom phonelines.

You are probably best to order and get UPC installed first before even cancelling Eircom - its hard to know exactly how long it will take UPC to install and when Eircom will cancel your broadband could be immediately or anything up to a month as I think you are suppose to give a months notice to cancel.

If you keep the eircom line you don't line rental to UPC (€6 vs Eircoms of €25.36) but if you only have broadband from them and no tv service there is an extra monthly charge of €7.75 is charged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

As Pizzahead says, UPC comes into your house through their own coaxial cable.
    It has nothing to do with Eircom.

Basically you ring up UPC, ask them to install you.
    It takes 2-3 days and they send out a technician, or post it out to you if you want to self install.
    You can only self install if you have an active UPC point in the house already though.

If you are transfering your phone number to UPC, you don't cancel your Eircom line.
    You fill out a form with the tech and UPC then arrange to cancel your Eircom line for you.
    It takes about 2-3 weeks, and you keep your old Eircom line active until then, so you keep your old number at all times.

UPC dont use Eircom lines ata ll, so once the number transfers over, you have no Eircom line rental at all, just UPC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,510 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

do they send you out a wireless router?

Advertisement