Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A new i5 gaming build

• 11-06-2010 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

I'm looking to put together an i5/P55 machine and am settling on the following configuration:

Intel i5 750
    ASUS P755D PRO OR Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
    4gb G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz Ripjaw (7-7-7-24) OR 4GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz (7-8-7-20)
    Nvidia GTS 250 1GB
    Corsair VX 550W
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus OR Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
    Antec Three Hundred

In particular I'm wondering about the Motherboard and RAM combinations, I've heard good things about the G.Skill Ripjaws and the P55 boards but I'm a little bit undecided between the ASUS and Gigabyte.

Basically, I'm just wondering if anything immediately jumps out here and could I improve on anything?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Asus P55 boards are not as good as their P45 boards were so I'd go wiht the Gigabyte board.

XMS3 has tighter timings and wont cause any problems with large CPU heatsinks so go with.

Both coolers are good, but the 212+ is the better preformer, go with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭zappb

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Asus P55 boards are not as good as their P45 boards were so I'd go wiht the Gigabyte board.

XMS3 has tighter timings and wont cause any problems with large CPU heatsinks so go with.

ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Mikill

Deano12345 wrote: »

Thanks Deano, I've looked into these a bit more and I'm gonna go with the Gigabyte mobo, XMS3 and the 212+. They seem to be far better options alright.

zappb wrote:
    ok

:confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

If you have the extra cash and you're gonna play games a HD resolutions, I suggest go a bit up from the GTS 250. It can only JUST manage modern games at HD resolutions. A 5770/4870/GTX260 upwards would do nicely (not the new Nvidia GTX4xx series, waaaay overpriced)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Mikill

If you have the extra cash and you're gonna play games a HD resolutions, I suggest go a bit up from the GTS 250. It can only JUST manage modern games at HD resolutions. A 5770/4870/GTX260 upwards would do nicely (not the new Nvidia GTX4xx series, waaaay overpriced)

I've been rethinking this too, the 5830 looks like it would suit this config nicely.

Actually, the 5830 seems a bit overpriced for what it is... a 5770 will do the job fine methinks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement