Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus and the Ash Cloud Question

Options
  • 11-06-2010 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

I had a flight with Aer Lingus on the 16th April which was cancelled due to the volcanic Ash cloud.

I filled in the form on the website as instructed that day, which by the way was not an online form as such but had to be sent via my E-mail program. I never received any confirmation of receipt of the form. The site says allow 28 days for repayment.

I rang them today using the reservation phone number as they have no customer service number on the website. I have now been told that my refund will definitely be in my account before the end of June. It could be today or tomorrow but they cannot guarantee a date. This is the only communication I have received and I had to chase that info.

What is annoying me is the OH booked flights with a different Airline (bmi) and has had her refund already as well as being kept up to date via E-mail through out.
    It is annoying and galling that AL have not seen fit to send any details of what is happening with the refund process.

I will be writing a letter to express my unhappiness. As this is the only method to complain as AL do not do Telephone or E-mail customer complaints. Are there any other options available to express my issues with this very poor service?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 RedPhone

I'm having the same problems with Aer Lingus myself!

Two faxes & a letter sent through to them and an email to the Consumer Association and no reply from any of them.

My flight on 16th May was cancelled & I rebook for next day & got charged 270 quid!!!!

What can you do after that? Go to their HQ at Dublin airport??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

Aer Lingus can take ages to sort things out.

I booked a trip home in July 2008, going Jan 2009 directly with South African Airways, with the DUB - LHR leg being code share with Aer Lingus.

Having been stung at the airport with Aer Lingus before over baggage; a flight to Amsterdam forgetting to add in luggage; as soon as I had the confirmation from SAA I rang Aer Lignus, and added 2 sets of baggage to the Heathrow legs for €48.

Subsequently on phoning SAA for a seat preference (in August), discovered that this baggage was included already with price paid to SAA. Phoned Aer Lingus to ask for my cash back, and was told to write a letter. 2 months and 2 letters later I received a letter saying they will look into it, and after sending a subsequent 3rd letter in November, my refund cheque was waiting for me when I got home from the trip, 6 months after the fact.

You can knock Ryanair for being cheap and crass, but whenever something has gone wrong (I had flights cancelled for both the ATC strike in Jan, and the Ash Cloud with Ryanair), they sorted me out pretty snappy, and I was on the next available flights out, or had a refund on my card within 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mazza

RedPhone wrote: »
    I'm having the same problems with Aer Lingus myself!

Two faxes & a letter sent through to them and an email to the Consumer Association and no reply from any of them.

My flight on 16th May was cancelled & I rebook for next day & got charged 270 quid!!!!

What can you do after that? Go to their HQ at Dublin airport??

My Aer Lingus flight was also cancelled mid-May, rebooked for the next day and got charged same, as yourself (at least on the face of it).

I called their "Website Helpdesk" number which is 0818 365044, shown on this page: http://www.aerlingus.com/help/contactus/

The agent processed a full refund for the rebooked flight which arrived back on my credit card about five working days later.

Your case may be more complicated, but hope this may help...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 RedPhone

Thanks for the replies! They refunded me a month later!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

it has just occurred to me, i dont think i ever did get my refund from aer lingus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

wintear wrote: »
    I rang them today using the reservation phone number as they have no customer service number on the website.

I'd probably try ringing this guy:

DONAL MORIARTY +353 (1) 8863140

If it were me, that's what I'd do, anyway.

Sorry - zombie thread, didn't notice. Probably disregard above.

Advertisement