Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Punditry Gold.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭gingelion

he is right footed. he took all his shots, including the penalty with his right foot. We were discussing this earlier too. was it houghton who said it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

pretty sure.

Ah Ray. He might be an Irish legend but i hate it when he's commentating.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,597 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I was only half paying attention at the time but did I hear Ray Houghton get the offside rule wrong today while co-commentating?

I think he said something like: "he would have been offside there because you need two defenders and the goalkeeper" or something like that...

Did anyone else hear the incident?

Yep he said something like that, was a weird one. Himself and George made a few mistakes tonight, George couldn't tell anyone with similar haircuts apart, Torres not being blonde anymore is the worst thing thats evey happened to George I'd say. Everytime he went near the left George thought he was Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I was only half paying attention at the time but did I hear Ray Houghton get the offside rule wrong today while co-commentating?

I think he said something like: "he would have been offside there because you need two defenders and the goalkeeper" or something like that...

Did anyone else hear the incident?

Yep he said that for a player to be onside there has to be two players from the other team between the attacking player and the goalkeeper.

And because there was only one player between the attacking player and the goalkeeper that the attacker would have been offside.

Total make believe stuff from Ray, but pretty much on par with most of his "expert" opinions from when he is on the Premiership show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Kess73 wrote: »
    Yep he said that for a player to be onside there has to be two players from the other team between the attacking player and the goalkeeper.

And because there was only one player between the attacking player and the goalkeeper that the attacker would have been offside.

Total make believe stuff from Ray, but pretty much on par with most of his "expert" opinions from when he is on the Premiership show.

I think he was saying there had to be two players in front of the player and since Torres was past the keeper and there was only one defender between him and the goal he would have been offside...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Kess73 wrote: »

Poor old Ray getting the goalkeeper and the goal line confused!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    I think he was saying there had to be two players in front of the player and since Torres was past the keeper and there was only one defender between him and the goal he would have been offside...

Yep thats what he was saying. He was actually correct, even though he made a sort of muddle of it.

Pretty sure he said 'goal line' not 'goalie'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

My Dad was going mental that George and Ray were getting not only the players wrong, but pronouncing all their names wrong too. George said David Villa's name about 5 different ways! :eek: seriously the only reason RTE get away with this sort of stuff is because of the comedy they provide also.

I still wont be watching BBC though :D, well not unless Mick McCarthy is commentating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Yep thats what he was saying. He was actually correct, even though he made a sort of muddle of it.

Pretty sure he said 'goal line' not 'goalie'.

Well he was still wrong as I believe Villa was ahead of Torres, so if the ball was being played backwards Torres would not be offside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Spud83 wrote: »
    Well he was still wrong as I believe Villa was ahead of Torres, so if the ball was being played backwards Torres would not be offside.

It was Fabregas who rounded the keeper and instead of passing to Torres he shot. There was only one defender between Fabregas and the keeper (no goalie) so Torres was offside. Ray was correct, he just made a slip of the tongue (maybe said goalie instead of goalline, or meant to say two defenders including goalie but accidentally said two defenders plus goalie). Of course he knows the offside rule.

Whether or not Torres was ahead of Fabregas I don't remember.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    not sure about that, he keep going on about Villa being left footed? i could be wrong, but i could've sworn he's right footed?

Didn't he crash that long range shot against the bar with his left foot? That was his first big moment so maybe after that the panel assumed he was left-footed! :D

• Subscribers Posts: 16,597 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It was Fabregas who rounded the keeper and instead of passing to Torres he shot. There was only one defender between Fabregas and the keeper (no goalie) so Torres was offside. Ray was correct, he just made a slip of the tongue (maybe said goalie instead of goalline, or meant to say two defenders including goalie but accidentally said two defenders plus goalie). Of course he knows the offside rule.

Whether or not Torres was ahead of Fabregas I don't remember.

I think this is probably what he meant, but not what he said. Anyway Torres was behind the ball so it was all meaningless drivel!

Didn't he crash that long range shot against the bar with his left foot? That was his first big moment so maybe after that the panel assumed he was left-footed! :D

Are ya sure? I thought that was with his right foot too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

They've been great so far. Ossy is great just to see if you can decipher every second word he says. He knows his stuff but he talks like a rocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭briany

Liam Brady revelling in the French woes I see.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

briany wrote: »

We have seen you post this already. He just said he is enjoying watching it like everyone else.

And I don't think the man is anti French seeing as his boss and half the players at his club are French.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

briany wrote: »

As are most true Irish supporters tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Kev_ps3 wrote: »

I didn't realise bitterness was a trait needed to be a true Irish supporter.

Ronnie Whelan just made an insightful comment. Mark this day down in history.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

Yawn, there is about 100 other threads on this subject already, I think the anti-french thing is just a laugh and BBC and ITV seem to be enjoying it just as much as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

I wouldn't be bitter if they beat us fair and square, but they cheated so im allowed to be annoyed, even if people like you are happy to forget it all and pretend like nothing happened.

I cant understand a word Ozzy says, but Im amused at how much he resembles Speedy Gonzalez. all he needs is a sunbrero! LOL

Bill is really stirring it up tonight too, and poor ozzy looks :confused:

"Well if the paint hasnt dried in this stadium all the fans can go watch!" - Mick McCarthy

Classic!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

RTE debating the effects of Sony Playstation on the number of kids playing football on the streets in Europe compared to South America.

Bill : "So Ozzy, is it likely that we will see a huge number of talented south americans coming through for the forseeable future?"

Ozzy : "Yes"

Giles : "........ as long as they stay poor"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭briany

Giles has made this point before. He's right really and just as long as he updates his console reference every few years, it should remain true. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

No more Souey? Billo said that was his last game. I hope they bring in Garth Crooks to replace him. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Kev_ps3 wrote: »

And what constitutes a true Irish supporter in your opinion??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭baldbear

Ossie and his make love to the ball line, brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

And what constitutes a true Irish supporter in your opinion??

Dresses up as either St Patrick, a leprechaun or a Scottish football fan and gets so drunk he thinks the locals love him ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Pauleta wrote: »
    Dresses up as either St Patrick, a leprechaun or a Scottish football fan and gets so drunk he thinks the locals love him ;)

Thats me then.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

"I think he has worms"

-Mark Lawrenson on a restless Stuart Pearce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Not sure who it was commenting on the USA match there on RTÉ but he came up with a gem at the end of it saying "Bill Clinton is up in the stand and supporting America".

Very stupid thing to say imo, who else the fcuk would the former President be supporting in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Not sure who it was commenting on the USA match there on RTÉ but he came up with a gem at the end of it saying "Bill Clinton is up in the stand and supporting America".

Very stupid thing to say imo, who else the fcuk would the former President be supporting in fairness

Mighta had an Algerian mistress:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Can't remember the exaxt wording but it was something like this. After Gabby Logan interviews Capello.

Maloney: ''That wasn't the most difficult of interviews for Capello.''
    Giles: ''Well shes a pretty girl, probably the reason she has the job.''

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

Fromvert wrote: »
    Can't remember the exaxt wording but it was something like this. After Gabby Logan interviews Capello.

Maloney: ''That wasn't the most difficult of interviews for Capello.''
    Giles: ''Well shes a pretty girl, probably the reason she has the job.''

:D

I think this clip happened just before that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUOjv-7wzvs

The look on Maloney's face is quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

I think this clip happened just before that:

No that was after it. Pure comedic gold all round.

John Giles: "She's seemed a very attractive girl, or maybe thats why she's doing the interviews"
    Darragh: "That's Gabby Yorath"
    John Giles: "Is that Gabby Yorath?, She was doing a good bit of creepin' there"

Later on, Eamo:
    "Rule britannia and all of that, that jingoistic nonsense"

I nearly cried with laughter...:D

I just start listening in, expecting some England analysis

John: Who was she....? Well she was a very attractive girl......

* long awkward pause

I dunno what Capello was at there, bit of creeping it looked like....

Maloney(face shocked and laughing): Well there we have it...:pac:

JG: She must have got that job on looks alone Darragh, some of them questions were useless

:D:D:D

The two commentators have left their mikes on during half time and you can hear them on the online stream of Germany vs Ghana.

They were talking about the good commentary position but mostly they were talking about football, surprisingly was hoping for something more exciting haha. Just the main lad (can't remember his name) clarifying what happens if the teams are level on points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The two commentators have left their mikes on during half time and you can hear them on the online stream of Germany vs Ghana.

I heard them saying Khedira had been very quiet. It cut off on me though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Denis Irwin trying to pronounce schweinsteiger lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

If he says swarsteiner one more tome, I'll switch over to ITV. That's saying something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

God Bless America!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I <3 Bianca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Good night Bianca, see you baby!!
    :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Poor Bianca

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

mike65 wrote: »
    God Bless America!
    was hilarious them taking the piss out of the Bianca thing:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Good night Bianca, baby!

fucking legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

All that crack about Bianca sums up Bill and RTÉ. Quality stuff at the end. Brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pac::pac::pac: Who's Bianca??

Dunphy looking at the camera, "goodnight Bianca!!"

• Advertisement
Advertisement