Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Punditry Gold.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

flahavaj wrote: »
    BULLSH*T.

HS loves it when they lay into Liverpool.:pac:

So do I tbh, I watch the CL with Pool and United fans, and love it when they fall for the bait Dunphy sets for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

lol i seem to remember outright disgust and fury from a lot of Arsenal fans here when Dunphy turned his attention to them for an evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

what was said in relation to Bill and Liam falling out??

whats the reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Read the thread tbh, post #598
    Des wrote: »
    Giles had "the hump" because the other two were after being talking to him during the match, and they basically took everything he's been saying off camera, and passes it off as their own analysis :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

doesnt explain why BILL and Liam would fall out tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

So Bill and Brady had a falling out because Giles had "the hump"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Except when they lay into utd or liverpool ;)

:) love when they lay into pool alright and iv still have a video of eamo laying into rafa, man they were good times

I laugh it off when eamo lays into utd, iv probably only take the bait once but man he just makes me laugh so much

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Mr Alan wrote: »
    lol i seem to remember outright disgust and fury from a lot of Arsenal fans here when Dunphy turned his attention to them for an evening.

Wasn't a dig at any fans in particular, I love the lads even when they knock Arsenal but as you know they have been slated on here during the season when they knock the team that people support and suddenly now they tell it like it is :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Headshot wrote: »
    :) love when they lay into pool alright and iv still have a video of eamo laying into rafa, man they were good times

I laugh it off when eamo lays into utd, iv probably only take the bait once but man he just makes me laugh so much

Oh I agree, when Liverpool knocked us out in the CL a couple of seasosn ago I was close to tears at full time but then Eamos John Cleese and his fight with Liam Brady were brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

anyone just dear daragh moloney ask someone "are you ok?" as they went to a commercial break?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

anyone just dear daragh moloney ask someone "are you ok?" as they went to a commercial break?

He had asked it a few minutes before aswell, think Dunphy was choking on something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

on itv at half time

''some nil nil games can be good, this isnt one of them''

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Eamo: ''The guys up in the Joy are asking to be put back in their cells''
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Dunphy at half time in the Japan game.

"The lads in the 'joy asked to be put back into their cells"

Brilliant.

edit: ffs! Go to hell Pro. F!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

quarryman wrote: »
    edit: ffs! Go to hell Pro. F!

In ya face! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

lol @ Dunphy going on about his stew of carrots and lentils and stewing beef set to mature after extra-time and penalties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

I swear I just heard this on RTE's commentary a minute ago:

"Star striker Salvador Cabanas missing the tournament after being shot in the head, (Paraguay chance) Benitez pulling the trigger..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Morzadec wrote: »
    ITV are just hilarious.

When Juan's header went in they called it a 'very British goal' and when the second goal went in they barely commented on the nice move by Brazil and finish by Fabiano and instead talked about the brilliant decision by the English linesman Darren Kant not to give offside and how great he'd been all tournament

just read it with a london accent and it gave me a laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

lol they're discussing recipes.

Only on RTÉ

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

dandelion soup anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Eamon recommends Dandelion and Chicken Soup, just now

What was that all about, only caught the end of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

Burner- wrote: »
    dandelion soup anyone?

Make sure the dandelions are chopped coarsely or I'm not entertaining it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

What is Dunphy on at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

That_Guy wrote: »
    What is Dunphy on at all?

Off his nut on dandelions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Off his nut on dandelions.

I can dig it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

"Did you do your leaving!!?"

whats he on!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

whats the capital of Paraguay??!??!?!?! LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

"The Japanese are not quite so rational as we are"

Eamon Dunphy stirs it like a pot of stew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

"I dont want to say I told ya so but eh.. ;):D,"

The lads were great during that Japan Paraguay match :) made up for the match actually, haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

They're boring with Whelan. Someone get rid of Whelan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

The guy with the glasses that was hosting at Paraguay vs Japan said something that annoyed me today.

It was 0-0 and Dunphy said something about remember when Ireland were 0-0 going into the quarter final, it wasn't boring for us. And the host said something like how he's so young he doesn't remember it or is a bit ashamed to remember it.

Well first of all, if he's over 30 years old he should definitely remember it. I hardly think someone over 30 is "old" or "showing his age". I just thought it was a bit much to be saying that to Dunphy who is slowly getting on to the 70 mark when he is clearly quite a bit younger than Dunphy, Giles and also Bill O' Herlihy himself.

What got me about it was that it doesn't make any sense. If it was something that happened 40 years ago, okay, then he can make that joke and they can have a laugh. But not 20 years ago. If you can't remember something sensational that happened 20 years ago then it should be a slight embarrassment to you that you're so young, not the other way around.

Dunphy's not getting any younger, and I just thought it was a bit much for him to say that, when he's probably got multiple decades left (fat as he is).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

The guy with the glasses that was hosting at Paraguay vs Japan said something that annoyed me today.

It was 0-0 and Dunphy said something about remember when Ireland were 0-0 going into the quarter final, it wasn't boring for us. And the host said something like how he's so young he doesn't remember it or is a bit ashamed to remember it.

Well first of all, if he's over 30 years old he should definitely remember it. I hardly think someone over 30 is "old" or "showing his age". I just thought it was a bit much to be saying that to Dunphy who is slowly getting on to the 70 mark when he is clearly quite a bit younger than Dunphy, Giles and also Bill O' Herlihy himself.

What got me about it was that it doesn't make any sense. If it was something that happened 40 years ago, okay, then he can make that joke and they can have a laugh. But not 20 years ago. If you can't remember something sensational that happened 20 years ago then it should be a slight embarrassment to you that you're so young, not the other way around.

Dunphy's not getting any younger, and I just thought it was a bit much for him to say that, when he's probably got multiple decades left (fat as he is).

You dont know what your talking about. You obviously didnt get the banter that was happening between them. The Host is Daragh Maloney...who joked, saying he was only 3 at the time. Obviously having a laugh...and not at all having a go at Dunphy.
    Yes the incident was 20 years ago..and they all remember it like it was yesterday, hence the joke/embarrassment at showing their ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well I saw it aswell, and they were all laughing in the studio and Darragh was obviously joking and clearly remembered the game....think you should get over yourself tbh

murpho999 wrote: »
    Well I saw it aswell, and they were all laughing in the studio and Darragh was obviously joking and clearly remembered the game....think you should get over yourself tbh

Okay fine, I just didn't like the joke. Let's face it, they would laugh anyway, whether they found it funny or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Okay fine, I just didn't like the joke. Let's face it, they would laugh anyway, whether they found it funny or not.

Ye just like they all agree with each others footballing opinions whether they believe it or not! rolleyes.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I loved when the camera goes off balance :D

Like after the Spain game it was too much above Herlihys head and he was like "WTF" looking at it. Also when it Giles, Whelan and Brady where on screen, you could see too much to the right of Brady. Are the cameramen on the piss or what, going off for a couple when the match is on then coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

Whelan is very poor, but, again, Brady and Souness can only hold the center, because Dunphy needs someone who will fight back. Dunphy never cuts too deep with Giles, and most of the time, Giles is too busy throwing hand grenades at Bill.

"Any more? Any more? Any more from you, Bill?" - Giles sarcastically said, after the Argentina Mexico game, on English good midfielders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Whelan is very poor, he should go back to Greece or wherever he manged last.

I'm gonna miss the lads when the world up is over and bill when he retires but Maloney has done a good job and gets involved in the banter. They have given as much entertainment as the world up itself.

This thread is great, laughing all morning reading through the pages :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

RTE wins hands down. BBC and ITV try to be funny, sorry lads, yer just not. the funniest thing about the Beeb coverage was Mick McCarthy! LOL he was gas. they should get him to replace Ray Houton on RTE doing the co commentary.

I love Darragh having the craic yesterday with eamo about the Dandoline stew, or what ever it was! LOL

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    Whelan is very poor, but, again, Brady and Souness can only hold the center, because Dunphy needs someone who will fight back. Dunphy never cuts too deep with Giles, and most of the time, Giles is too busy throwing hand grenades at Bill.

"Any more? Any more? Any more from you, Bill?" - Giles sarcastically said, after the Argentina Mexico game, on English good midfielders.

I know, and the way he adjusts his suit then like "How dare you say that to me".

The hilarious thing is that Dunphy and Giles had just before that been going on about how Capello was only picking the big names and trying to fit them into the team without any structure. That he was only going for the big names because that's what he was under pressure to do. That he should pick players that would form a good team, like Germany did.

So Bill just said continuing in that vein of thought: "hmmm, well why doesn't he pick those other players then, and who would he pick instead?" and for some reason (probably because he had no knowledge of any other players), Giles flipped and got very insulted and started attacking Bill. Throwing the question back on Bill while knowing very well Bill wouldn't know. It was actually pretty funny.

I think their best formation is Giles on the left, Brady in the centre and have Dunphy out on the right. If you look at any of the great Dunphy rants over the past couple of years, he's always done his best work wide on the right. As for between Irwin and Whelan, for me it's a toss up. Whelan is a good analyst, if not a superstar.

Brady just pips it for me above those two because of the way Brady speaks. Brady speaks like what he's saying is the wisest, most knowledgeable thing that he is 100% sure about and informing us all about.... when he's often the biggest bull****er and guesser of all of them. But noone can match Dunphy and Giles.

Unfortunately Souness is out for the rest of the world cup, he'll be missed. I didn't consider him as the best analyst myself, but he was a good creative analyst that would sometimes come up with new points, open up the discussion, get something going.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

John Fashanu "Sometimes you have to cut off your legs to go forward".

Not technically punditry. He was talking about Ghana pulling out of competitions for two years.

Really John can you explain a little more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

lordgoat wrote: »
    John Fashanu "Sometimes you have to cut off your legs to go forward".

Not technically punditry. He was talking about Ghana pulling out of competitions for two years.

Really John can you explain a little more?

Jaysus, the Ghana president is kicking them out too? Does that mean Uruguay get a bye to the semi-finals? :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

quarryman wrote: »
    Jaysus, the Ghana president is kicking them out too? Does that mean Uruguay get a bye to the semi-finals? :)

Eh Nigeria :o this is what i get for typing and watching highlights at the same time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

was watching Soccer City on Eurosport (yes i know its pretty sh*te) one night, and on came this really cute roving reporter> french or spanish chick not too sure........well i've been tralling the web looking for a pic of her but can't find any

anyone any idea who she is...her name even????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Can't stand Ronnie Whelan. No real insight, annoying voice, kisses up to the other panelists, makes nonsensical or blatantly obvious points.

Awful stuff. On a par with Ray Houghton, that's how bad he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

fryup wrote: »
    was watching Soccer City on Eurosport (yes i know its pretty sh*te) one night, and on came this really cute roving reporter> french or spanish chick not too sure........well i've been tralling the web looking for a pic of her but can't find any

anyone any idea who she is...her name even????

Black girl?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Black girl?

ya i know that black girl she's in the studio she's nice too

no this one was latino, a roving reporter out & about with the fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

"We've seen so many world class player who just didn't turn up, Rooney, Kaka.....Van Persie."

Nice one Ronnie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

#15 wrote: »
    Can't stand Ronnie Whelan. No real insight, annoying voice, kisses up to the other panelists, makes nonsensical or blatantly obvious points.

Awful stuff. On a par with Ray Houghton, that's how bad he is.

I think Houghton is some sort of Angelical bearer of football wisdom by comparison!

Liam Brady shows once again what a complete fool he really is.

He says they didn't win it on football, of course they won it on football. They were running circles around Brazil and all Brazil could do was foul. All of the tackles were clear fouls. The stuff the Brazilians were doing at times was almost criminal assault.

If Brazil were going down they were going that way anyway. A single goal doesn't change the physical conditions on the field. The Brazilians were running around in the heat and humidity in the first half like a 100m race, of course they were going to run out of steam at the end especially with a man sent off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement