Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Punditry Gold.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Apres Match available here.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/worldcup/highlights.html?2769518,2769518,flash,255

Quality start from the lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Nice1, main panel on for the French match:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Nice1, main panel on for the French match:D

The A team as i like to call em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

So this is what you called punditry gold then? I'm confused. I'm listening to a few drunk guys blabbing about some handball incident that has no relevance to the game today. And I'm doing so just to remind myself of how bad this is.

lordgoat wrote: »
    The A team as i like to call em

Arsehole team?

So this is what you called punditry gold then? I'm confused. I'm listening to a few drunk guys blabbing about some handball incident that has no relevance to the game today. And I'm doing so just to remind myself of how bad this is.

As des said earlier we get it you don't like them. Is it the attention you're looking for? Lonely? awwww

What now, am I suddenly not allowed to disagree with the opening post?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

Thats exactly why its gold .. like been down in the pub with the lads. Wont get anything like it on any other station and the fact that multitudes of ex-pats miss the rte coverage more then tayto says a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Bill " who you going for John"
    John " I'll say Uraguay Bill"
    Bill "anyone but france then"
    John "Im not that bigotted bill"

nice one John!!!

anyone but france indeed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

Great start for the aprés match lads in fairness, I missed them :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

WHen talkking about the new ball Bill refers the deciding word on the topic to John as the 'Senior Analyst.' Can't wait for Spain's first match and to reference to Eamo as the resident 'Spanish football expert.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Just read the Irish Times article where Bill reveals that this is his last World Cup and Dunphy admits hes thinking of calling it quits as well. I felt a kind of sadness wash over me, somewhat akin to being told a distant relative has been run over by a bus.............:(......:D

God, football will suck when these guys call it a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Agricola wrote: »
    Just read the Irish Times article where Bill reveals that this is his last World Cup and Dunphy admits hes thinking of calling it quits as well. I felt a kind of sadness wash over me, somewhat akin to being told a distant relative has been run over by a bus.............:(......:D

God, football will suck when these guys call it a day.

How will football suck? They don't play the game.

I will miss threads like this with all of their golden quips though.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic there mars bar...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

mars bar wrote: »
    How will football suck? They don't play the game.

I will miss threads like this with all of their golden quips though.

Ah it will suck! Football nowadays is full of preening, overpaid, ladyboys who spend their time conning refs and getting paid fortunes to do it. Dunphy calling it like it is..............and having afew rows with Bill and John in the process is a great grounding to the soap-opera that is modern football!

Andy Graham and Jamie Redknapp fighting over who can verbally suck off more footballers, is not something I want to watch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

PiE wrote: »
    If anybody has a quick and reliable way of watching RTE's coverage from the UK - do tell :)

http://eurovisionsports.tv - Channels 25-36 - RTÉ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Bill said there was " a phonecall per minute" about the horns? Yeah, sure there was Bill. Who rings in to television programmes anymore? The interweb is where its at. You old spoofer ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Bill, speaking to RTE's senior analyst: "They (Uruguay) were known as the hatchet team in their qualifying group......"

Eamon: "John wouldn't know anything about that!" :pac:

Agricola wrote: »
    Ah it will suck! Football nowadays is full of preening, overpaid, ladyboys who spend their time conning refs and getting paid fortunes to do it. Dunphy calling it like it is..............and having afew rows with Bill and John in the process is a great grounding to the soap-opera that is modern football!

Andy Graham and Jamie Redknapp fighting over who can verbally suck off more footballers, is not something I want to watch!

Who's this guy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Who have RTE singed up to appear on the panel over the world cup? I see the regulars are there, but any new people who will be on later in the tournament or anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

CyberWaste wrote: »
    Who have RTE singed up to appear on the panel over the world cup? I see the regulars are there, but any new people who will be on later in the tournament or anything?

Ossie Ardiles and Dietmar Hamann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I like Denis Irwin, seems to have done his homework, and is fairly no-nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Des wrote: »
    I like Denis Irwin, seems to have done his homework, and is fairly no-nonsense.

like he was as a player so...

Great to hear the magnificent Rico doing co-commentary on RTE now..

Roar wrote: »
    Great to hear the magnificent Rico doing co-commentary on RTE now..

:rolleyes:

bleedin dub :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

honorary Corkman ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Love listening to Rico when hes on the telly, comes across as all proper and well spoken. He makes a point of using the biggest and most descriptive words, pronouncing his "g's" to the max lol

Anyone who has heard him in a dugout knows he is not so well spoken, rather he is famously known for his more choice language :D

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Love listening to Rico when hes on the telly, comes across as all proper and well spoken. He makes a point of using the biggest and most descriptive words, pronouncing his "g's" to the max lol

Anyone who has heard him in a dugout knows he is not so well spoken, rather he is famously known for his more choice language :D

I wasn't slagging Rico, I was having a go at Roar. He used to be a fan of Cork City, and when Rico managed them most of the fans hated him for being from Dublin and not being Pat Dolan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I wasn't slagging Rico, I was having a go at Roar. He used to be a fan of Cork City, and when Rico managed them most of the fans hated him for being from Dublin and not being Pat Dolan

The FORAS Board of Management is delighted to announce that FORAS has completed the purchase of the liquidated effects of Cork City Investments FC Ltd, including all intellectual property. By this purchase, the Cork City Football Club name is returned to its rightful owners, the fans of Cork City FC. The club will continue to play under the name of Cork City FORAS Co-op, as the name of the club cannot be changed mid-season, nor will the news today affect our crest for the foreseeable future.

Commenting following the purchase, Cork City Chairman John O’Sullivan said: “This is a development with which we are all absolutely delighted. A significant amount of work and care went into the process, and we would like to recognise the contribution of Seán Ó’Conaill and our solicitor Michael O’Dowd of O’Hanlon O’Dowd Solicitors [www.ohod.ie]. We would also like to express our appreciation to the team at Moore Stephens Nathans; the decision to allow Cork City FC to continue playing at underage level allows us to express with absolute certainty that Cork City FC has never stopped, not for a second.”

Our underage teams who are currently in their off-season will soon kick-off as Supporters’ run teams. A key element of funding for the underage structure is the Club Lotto, which is now available on-line at CorkCityFC.net.

With the Cork City Football Club name now returned to the supporters of the club, we look forward to continuing the excellent start the club has enjoyed to the 2010 season. The club has achieved some excellent results on the field of play, whilst sound structures are being put in place to ensure that the club will continue to live within its means.

We believe that there is a bright and successful future for supporters of Cork City Football Club to look forward to, and we thank our supporters for the steadfast and loyal support we have received in recent times. We are delighted that Cork City Football Club, and its future, is now in the right hands.

what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

I expect Ossie will be making his debut this afternoon for the Argentina game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I expect Ossie will be making his debut this afternoon for the Argentina game

Spanglish translator at the ready ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Spanglish translator at the ready ;)

Sure the Dunph is an expert on all things Spanish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

They can be really annoying at times and sometimes "the guy in the pub" who knows "everything" about footie can get things more right then them . .

However, when they finish up they will greatly be missed (if this is their last WC as a previous poster said) . .

On ITV, Sky or BBC their punditry is at best dry and at worst annoyingly pretentious but seldom, if ever, interesting/entertaining. In fact, the most enjoyable part of skys coverage is hoping to see one of those funny John smiths adds or something like that . . I just want to punch monkey hands Richard Keyes ! !!

At least there are plenty of memorable moments with the RTE lads and you are waiting for Dunphy to curse or insult somebody which adds to the craic. You will seldom, if ever see something out of the ordinary on Hype sports or their likes.. Put simply, having a few pints watching the RTE commentary is more fun (& you can actually enjoy the craic as if you are with the lads in the studio) and enjoyable then watching the bland UK stuff . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

A discussion about punditry turns in to LOI rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Degag wrote: »
    Sure the Dunph is an expert on all things Spanish!

Watches both Madrid and Barca on Sky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

So far so good from Irwin. Hasnt said anything stupid and doesnt have a headwrecking voice.

bohsman wrote: »
    So far so good from Irwin. Hasnt said anything stupid and doesnt have a headwrecking voice.
    Irwin is an intelligent pundit, does his homework. Anyone who has seen him on MUTV would know this. Love the cheeky smirk of his as well.

Irwin should not be stuck on the "C" bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

Giles' and Dunphy's post game commentary of the South Africa and Mexico game was more humorous than an episode of Father Ted with discussions about the "beach ball" and South Africa's goal celebration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I'd love to see IRWIN as a regular on RTE. Sick of all the ex Liverpool players as pundits on every channel. They take every chance they can to talk about Liverpool in the 80's. Right we get it, you were part of a great team.

Love to see Brady back full time too. He will hopefully stick around when John "Bitter" Giles and Eamon "grumpy" Dunphy hang up their microphones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Just listening to irwin & wheelan and I can't say I can remember havin listened to such bad punditry before. Just knock Maradona at all costs. Whether I'm just parroting untruths or wether I'm completely ignoring other facts - doesn't matter. Just spurting out any old ****e obviously will do on telly these days. Why do pundits have to express strong opinions at all costs these days? Why is it that someone needs to be knocked all the time. Actually pisses me off. Fkn idiots the lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Pundits love 'I told ya so's.'

And if they get it completely wrong they can just say its their opinion. Just check out Dunphy. And if that fails then you can always talk about something of no relevence to the match such as ..... Roy Keane, Manchester United, John Giles being the white midget Pele, Jack Charlton, and his personal favourite........... the worst player who's ever lived Christiano Ronaldo.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Pundits love 'I told ya so's.'

And if they get it completely wrong they can just say its their opinion. Just check out Dunphy. And if that fails then you can always talk about something of no relevence to the match such as ..... Roy Keane, Manchester United, John Giles being the white midget Pele, Jack Charlton, and his personal favourite........... the worst player who's ever lived Christiano Ronaldo.
    Sean Wright Philips is the midget Pele. Everyone knows that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Great line from Mick on BBC:

[Talking about Nigeria's Odiah] "He could be named twice, Oh-diah Oh-diah, because he's just given the ball away."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Anyone see yesterday on BBC before the South Africa match they were talking to Francois Peinaar and asked him about Nelson Mandela not being at the game. Pienaar said overnight there was a tragic car crash and Mandelas great grand daughter died so obviously he wouldnt be at the game.

The interviewer in responce goes "oook, so Lucas have you ever played one of these?" and takes out a vuvuzela and gets Lucas Radebe to play it! Bit harsh on Mandela! Not a great piece to go to right after talking about a car crash :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

GSPfan wrote: »
    I'd love to see IRWIN as a regular on RTE. Sick of all the ex Liverpool players as pundits on every channel. They take every chance they can to talk about Liverpool in the 80's. Right we get it, you were part of a great team.

Love to see Brady back full time too. He will hopefully stick around when John "Bitter" Giles and Eamon "grumpy" Dunphy hang up their microphones.

Yeah, I said it last night too- good to see young 'Chippy Brady' back in the hotseat. Keep up the good work Chippy! :cool:

Subtitles are needed for Adebayor. I'm not joking either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Subtitles are needed for Adebayor. I'm not joking either.

I know, couldnt understand a word he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Adebayor = Legend

• Advertisement
Advertisement